1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A problem has recently cropped up with my Wilson Protector fullsize LW. A total of three times, twice in the last 200 rounds alone, the last round in a Wilson 8 round mag got in front of the extractor upon chambering. Each incident was with a different wilson 8 round mag. Total round count is approximately 2,800. Ammo was S&B 230 gr ball. Recoil spring and mag springs are replaced regularly. Any ideas as to the solution to this problem?

·
Registered
892 Posts
I think it is your mags. This is ironic, but I just called Wilsons to replace two mags I ordered over the past month, and another 8 rounder I ordered about 2 years ago. They all have the exact same failure on my Kimber as you described, with the exact same ammo.

I think it has to be the mags, because I have another Wilson 8 rounder (about 2 1/2 years old), and the standard McCormick 7 rounder that came with the gun that it doesn't happen on.

I'd call Wilson. This is too coincidental for the same failures to be happening exactly the same way with different guns but the same brand of magazines and same ammo.

I spoke with Greg Gimendz in Customer Service.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have several Kimbers and had virtually this same problem but with Mecgar mags! The last round would sometimes pop out of the mag and the slide would either lock back with the loose round bouncing around in the chamber or the slide would start to close and slam the loose round in any one of several interesting positions! I solved the problem by taking some sand paper to the follower so that last round would have a bit of something to grab onto instead of popping out of the mag. However, I think I have a different problem here...

I just got off the phone with John ? at Wilsons and they want to see the slide and barrel. John consulted one of the master gunsmiths and stated that the Master gunsmith believed it was an extractor problem. I think that mags are definitely influencing it, but I will try Wilson's suggestion first. Two things influence me here: 1) three failures, each with a different mag, each on the last round. Three out of six mags going bad, all bought at different times, is a stretch. Second, the extractor mark on the spent shells is much harsher and just a bit further up on the shell than either my kimber full size or colt commander-and the mark on both of these is more like a scratch. The mark made by the Wilson is a slight ding! I think the extractor is just a fraction of a whisker too long. Not enough to be a problem normally, but with the last round having no resistance from any rounds below it, I'm guessing that the extractor bumps the round enough that it pops out of the magazine and in front of the extractor instead of sliding underneath it. I'm really guessing here, but it might be that the gun is only now well broken in and has gotten smooth enough that this problem has finally surfaced. Three failures in 2,800 rounds (1 at 800 rds, 2 in the last several hundred). This is my carry gun so I consider 3 failures in 2,800 unacceptable!

No doubt this will be corrected and I'll holster my baby again within a week!

As to the LW Protector full-size vs. steel, I would buy the LW full-size again! It handles well and the half-pound difference in weight is a great benefit for all day carry. There is just a bit more muzzle flip than the steel gun, but not enough that I notice unless I shoot them side-by-side. You won't be disappointed!

One issue, though, is the aluminum feed ramp. Wilson recommends only ball and 185gr Silvertip with their LW guns. It seems that certain hollow points will ding up the aluminum feed ramp over time which will eventually require a steel insert be installed once the original feed ramp is trashed. I'm ok with the silvertips, but if I were to do it again, I would order the gun with the ramped barrel to avoid the whole feed ramp issue.

Damage to an aluminum feed ramp from hollow points is not a BS issue. I had a Kimber royal carry that I shot with hollow points extensively and I dinged the heck out of the aluminum feed ramp. Didn't affect the functioning though, but I'm sure with time it would have.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Wow. I have the exact same problem. Dinging the brass a tad also. I have a class this weekend and I will let you know how the new mags work out. I would appreciate it if you would post back about what Wilson's does to your gun to fix it. I may have to send my slide in to Kimber...

BTW, with the Aluminum ramp, can you order the Protector LW with a ramped barrel instead? I have a Colt Defender and while I don't shoot HPs extensively, I looked at my ramp and didn't see anything unusual...I ran my finger across and it felt smooth.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You folks are great!!!!! I'm sending Wilson my slide in tomorrows mail. They said they don't need the complete gun as they will not be trying to duplicate the problem, but they know they can fix it by adjusting the extractor. I will keep you posted!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gunnut, I believe the LW feedramp damage is a hit or miss thing. Some guns seem to be very affected, others eat lots of HP rounds with no problem. If you are ordering the gun from scratch I would get it with the feed ramp. If you are getting a Wilson off the shelf and it is a LW, what the heck, shoot what you want. Worse case the feed ramp will need attention in the future. You won't trash it in a few hundred rounds! The Royal Carry I mentioned fed approx 2,000 hollow points before damage became visible, and then it was only a slight dimpling and it still functioned perfectly. EGW sells and installs steel inserts for, I think, about $150 including labor. Maybe a few bucks more or less. No sweat! You will be totally geeked about your LW fullsize Wilson Protector!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As a follow up, I got the slide back in about a week. It looked like Wilsons had adjusted the extractor tension, rounded the lower edge of the extractor a bit more than it already was, and polished the feed ramp. With several hundred rounds downrange since the adjustment it is running 100% and the cases show only a slight scratch from the extractor where a ding was before. Life is good and many thanks to Wilsons for a quick turn around with the adjustment.

I'm another very satisfied customer!!!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts