1911Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I've seen pics of this here. Maybe it was work by Tussey?

Anyone know where the pics are, and whether anyone could do this job? Do you use the standard MSH?

Thanks.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I just rounded the msh on my new kimber ultra carry ,it took about a minute to do on my disk/belt sander and a little touch up by hand. very easy job looks close to Tim Brian one ie:not as rounded as the Tussey. It helped alot as the msh was diging into my palm.

·
Registered
114 Posts
JOEE:
I did the exact same thing and I also filed down some of the knurling - believe it or not, the grip feels a lot smaller .

·
Registered
541 Posts
YEP, Did the same on the knurling and ur right,hard to belive such a small thing makes that much difference!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry to dig this up after so long, but I've been thinking about it again...

Two questions

Any reason why a local smith couldn't do this? I don't see why not, since two of you folks did it yourselves.

On an aluminum frame, would one have to re-anodize the small part that gets exposed after grinding? I would hope not, as that would jack up the price on what might be a pretty simple job.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
13,640 Posts
John Harrison of Precision Gunworks just did one to an officer's frame MSH.
The attached pic is kinda dark, hope you can see it.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yep--that's about right. It's the frame that has me wondering. There must be a way to avoid re-anodizing that little spot. Even clear coat would do. If so, I would think I could get it done locally.

Any aluminum experts know?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Shmackey,

Here's a better picture of the round-butt gun and another CCO with a butt that is original. The rounded gun feels sooo much better in your hand. As far as anodizing goes, if you are limiting your metal work to that bottom rear corner, I see no reason to get in too big a rush to re-anodize it. Carry it until it needs refinishing from fair wear & tear. In the meanwhile (if it's a black gun) fog a little barbeque grille paint on it, in that corner.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This would probably be for stainless-looking aluminum.

Thanks for all the replies. Makes me wonder what we did before the Internet...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts