1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stumbled on RRA kind of by accident. I was looking for a single stack, single action 1911 that is very accurate and pretty much was going to get the Kimber Super Match. I liked the 1" groups at 25 yards. I went to my local dealer and he told me for the money, he'd suggest the RRA line.

He said they shoot 1 1/2" groups at 50 YARDS. Looked like great nice guns. So I resaerched them a bit. I noticed on RRA's site that the Limited is guaranteed 1.5" @ 50 yards where the "regular" guns is 2.5" at 50 yards. I think the price on the Limited was $1800 and the standard RRA was $1500.

My questions are:
1) is this about the right price for RRA's?
2) are there any other guns you can get that kind of grouping for around the same money? Les Baer seemed almost twice the price for the 1.5" groups.
3) am I right in saying the fit of the barrel and the frame results in the accuracy? Therefore, could I have a "standard" gun like a Kimber, Colt or Para Ordnance that a 'smith could fit better to make it more accurate? Or is the fit at the factory pretty much where it starts and ends?

I know these are newbie questions for such a lavish ;) purchase, but I kind of figured why buy a couple guns that are just ok. I figure life is too short anyway. Well, that's my "reason" for buying this!

Any comments are appreciated!

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
1. Yes, in general one pays retail for a new one. Or in my case slightly above. Very ocasionally one is sold used, but for not much less than new.

2. No.

3. Barrel, meaning both ends of the barrel, the locking lugs, and the bushing.

A Kimber, Colt, etc. could be made "as accurate" by a gunsmith. But it can't get "more accurate" without some exceptional luck in selecting the base gun, exceptional gunsmithing, and exceptional money. The 1911 just doesn't get much more accurate than 1.5" @ 50 yards, for any amount of money. I have a nice Kimber, and the RR makes it feel like it's made out of pot metal. There's just no comparison.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a nice Kimber, and the RR makes it feel like it's made out of pot metal. There's just no comparison.
You make me want one even more now:D

So you'd suggest the Limited for $300 more to get the 1.5" vs the 2.5"?

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Can you really tell the difference in 1.5" and 2.5" groups if you are shooting offhand? I can't! That said, if you want the accuracy guarantee go for it!

RRA is a good value. I've owned one, it was stolen, and I immediately re-ordered. Now I also have an Elite Commando on order. That should tell you what I think of their guns.

I think RRA is the best value out there right now and recommend them without reservation. Their deliveries have improved considerably over the past few months and are much more reasonable now.

Buy one and don't look back!

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
"There's just no comparison."

Have both a LTD. and a Baer PII with 1.5" guarantee.

One thing not mentioned so far is that you can run almst any
good but inexpensive ammo thru either and still have exc. to Superb accuracy.
Routinely shoot reloads with plated bullets that never fail to please in this dept.

·
Registered
376 Posts
It's my understanding that the two main gun smith's there work for Les Bear for while. And yes they do very good work. :cool: Goog Luck!

·
Premium Member
4,787 Posts
I have sold several RRA 1911s in recent months, and I received one (keeper) that I ordered 22 months ago, in October. I am impressed with the fit and finish, not to mention value. I have at least two more coming (keepers) and who knows how many more, for our shelves. If you're ever in NW Ohio, let me know. I'll show you what you are missing.

Be well!

Damian

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
DanDean316 said:
You make me want one even more now:D

So you'd suggest the Limited for $300 more to get the 1.5" vs the 2.5"?
You might want to contact RRA or have your dealer check. I ordered my Basic Limited Match with the 1.5" guarantee. It saved me some money and shoots like crazy. The current website doesn't appear to list that option anymore, so you may have to contact them to find out if you can still get it. As I recall it was less then a $200 upgrade when I ordered mine. All I really lost was the mag well I didn't need and I got RRA rear sights instead of Bo Mars by getting the BLM.

later,
AJ

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
You didn't say what you're going to do with this piece, they offer several models.

The "Match" part of Limited Match implies competition. Whether it's IPSC or NRA Bullseye, if I'm competing, if it can be obtained at a reasonabe price, I'd take all the accuracy help I can get.

The Limited Match has better "cosmetics" than the standard, too. It has the S&A mag well, serrated rear of the slide, serrations on the top of the slide, and checkering on the underside of the trigger guard.

$300 might be what you'd expect to pay a gunsmith to get a 3" gun to be 1.5" gun. At least that's the difference at Les Baer. So that makes the cosmetics sort of "free". The Les Baer model that most closely compares to the LTD Match would be the Ultimate master, about $800 more.

If not competing in formal competition, absolutely think the 1.5" is moot, or maybe just a mental advantage.

In this case (not competing) would suggest considering the Elite Commando, especially for any sort of "carry" duty. And don't overlook the National Match Hardball for a general purpose gun. For the money, this may be the best value. Differs mainly by simpler cosmetics, no ambi, etc., a classic look.

Jeeminy, I'd like to get one of each...

·
Registered
180 Posts
I ordered Standard Match in June of 01 and received it December of 02. The Standard Match has a 2.5"guarantee. When they called to tell me my pistol was shipping, Chuck told me I had a shooter. Asked what he meant and he said every so often they get a basic pistol to group real well and it is accurate without spending the additional $150 for 1.5" group. My test target measured 1.75". My pistol cost $1275. I got an outstanding deal.

Now I want to order another Standard Match and they do not offer it any more, I have to go to the BLM or EC.

77Bronc

·
Registered
31 Posts
I am one of a few at the range who doesn't have to put up with jams of any kind. When I shoot offhand, almost rapid fire, at 25 yds its pretty easy to get 3" groups. I have an elite and a basic limited, both are new. I shoot IDPA. Would I give up the RRA's for a Kimber LOL.
I am a picky shopper . These two are up to 1500+. If you have the bread go for it otherwise get a Springfield or an S&W

Saville

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Back when I bought my EC's the accuracy guarantee was 100 bucks a gun. So I went for it. I figured that it would garner 100 bucks of extra attention on my guns.

I am a very good shot, but I can't use or even demonstrate that sort of accuracy. I had a chat with Chuck about what he has to do to produce the test target. He needs a perfectly still day, the right ammo, the gun settled in the ransom rest, etc. It is a technical exercise that requires some special knowledge.

With that said, the guns shoot totally reliably with the guarantee. I don't know if they could shoot it today as after a couple thousand rounds things have probably worn in a bit and aren't as tight.

Says a lot about the inherent accuracy capabilities of the Kart barrel and their abilities as bullseye smiths.

Some people have said that they just pick the better ones and sell them for extra. Not true in my case. I registered the frames in my name and then sent them back to be built. No oppty to substitute as the SN's were fixed at that point.

Jim

·
Registered
618 Posts
Jim is right

Each of our orders are made to order which means as the order comes in, we grab a frame and designate the serial number to the order. We fit the slides to the frame and start the polishing, barrel fitting, sight cuts, etc... After the gun is finished being built it is sandblasted and polished and finished in the designated finish. After we get the pistol back from plating or blueing, we then assemble it and set the link and lockup of the gun. After final assembly of the pistol we head to the range on days that the weather cooperates. We fire them off off the ransom rest and set up targets. After we shoot the targets, we take the guns back to the shop and study the targets and disassemble each pistol one by one and tune them by looking for premature contact points and relieving the problems associated with the targets. Then the gun goes back out and shot. This process is repeated until the gun groups and works smoothly.

Many people wonder what the wait is when they call and find out that the pistol is back from plating/blueing. They don't always follow suit and shoot 100% right after assembly. Every once in a while one just happens to shoot outstanding first time out, but nine times out of ten, they have to see the range at least twice before they are good enough to ship.

Thats about it folks.
Bob

·
Premium Member
4,787 Posts
Bob, my friend, that information is what I have heard being requested since I started visiting this Forum. Allow me to thank you for all of us, here at the 1911 Forum.

P.S. Are my Commandos done yet? :biglaugh: Just kidding. Next one I have you build will be all matte, finished with Diamond Black. OOH YEAH!

Damian

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have a few more questions from a newbie to semi-custom guns.
The gun I want is an accurate, reliable, single stack 1911. My shooting is just for fun now (I shoot quite a bit), but I would like to eventually compete. I was all ready to get the Kimber Super Match, but then saw the RRA at my local shop. The reason I like the RRA so much is the 1 ½” guarantee, and it’s nice, clean looks. I dislike guns with all that stamping all over the slides. My vision is an all black, tack driver with a couple of changes.

2 of the 3 “upgrades” if you like are simply for looks:
1) black trigger
2) black grips – I love the grips that come with it, just would like them all black
3) fiber optic front sight

I figure these items could be easily changed by me, a ‘smith or RRA.

But has anyone ever bought a RRA retail then sent it back for “upgrades”? Reason I ask is because my local dealer has the Limited Match – yeah the nice one with all the goodies.

But if I would ORDER from RRA, I would consider leaving off the serrations on the front of the slide and on the top of the slide. Not a big deal either way. The gun at the shop is pretty much what I want. I am not too fussy as accuracy is of the most concern to me. But I figure if I’m spending all that money, may as well get “my gun”.

My questions are this:
1) If I would buy this from my dealer, would RRA take it back and put those couple touches on it for me? I suppose I could just order one, but then I’d have to wait.
2) Any reason NOT to get a fiber optic front sight?
3) Any reason to leave the serrations as is?
4) Any other upgrades or touches you would add? Why or why not?

Sorry if the questions are basic, but I would appreciate any and all comments.

Thanks
Dan

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Dubb
You make an excellent point. I think spending this kind of money I may as well get what I want. The more I think of it, the more I like my vision better than the one in the store. The one in the store is awesome, it's just not exactly what I want.
Now I'm kind of thinking of checkering in the front of the trigger guard, but not under the trigger guard.

One of the reasons I wanted to get one retail is so I could do a trade in. Since you are a dealer I should ask you this question: Do dealers take a trade as a down payment on a special order? Or is it a shop by shop policy?

·
Premium Member
4,787 Posts
Trade in policies vary from shop to shop, and market to market. As a dealer, how much real estate do you have to devote to used pistols? Are used pistols in demandin your local market? Is the used pistol in question in demand, or will it sit on the shelf for months or years, tying up money and shelf space all the while? On top of all of that, the dealer is going to want to make a few bucks on your used pistol unless his profit margin on the new pistol is so great that he doesn't mind.

This is a big part of the reason that the auction sites are so successful. You are not bound by local market trends. You typically are selling to shooters rather than dealer--therefore, more money for you.

Another reason it is a good idea to buy what you want to begin with.

Be well!

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
".. have a few more questions from a newbie to semi-custom guns."

Not trying to play semantic games here but RR's are actuallly "Custom" 1911's if you consider "Custom" to be truly hand built as opposed to "built to order", etc.

FWIW, my LTD makes my Baer PII and my friends Wilson's appear almost generic!

One of the reason's that RR's are so good is their customer service. Consider calling and discussing the additions you want with them.

Have had exc. response with them over the phone with oth their AR's and 1911's.

I'm sure if you post this dealer's Email you wont have to worry about the LTD he has anymore......
;)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts