1911Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do not own any ar15's and am not willing to pay the 2k+ Les is wanting. I have looked at Clark Custom Guns Gator and it is impressive and the Wilson Combat guns. I have heard the JP triggers are very good and want to hear from the RRA people as to which AR they have and how well it performs. The price is so attractive and I have heard good things. Is the extra $500 worth it for a three gun match and mainly some target shooting, or should I buy a RRA national match and spend the money on a great scope?

·
Registered
618 Posts
RR Rifles

Well, I'm sure you were expecting me to post a reply since I work at Rock River Arms. Although my first duty within the walls of RRA is building the custom pistols, I do in fact know first hand on our rifles since I have owned 2 of them. My first AR was the National Match DCM. WOW, that rifle never hiccuped once on me and the accuracy was superb. I have never competed in a match before, but for the plinking I do at home here, I was severely impressed. Due to my efforts in schooling I sold the rifle because of the possibility of furthering my education and moving to Australia. BTW, I am a 26 year old engineering student. After that fell through I waited a while and finally bought a 24" Varmint 1/12 twist. After slapping a Springfield Armory 6X24X56 scope on it, I was sure to be knocking off cyotes in the local area. I set targets at 400 yard and zeroed the scope/rifle and produced VERY nice groups...cyotes beware. I did have one problem with that gun, it failed to fire a reload without powder or primer. Thats it. After a bit of financial difficulty and facing another semester of school approaching, I sold that rifle - minus scope - to pay for school. Both of these rifles were bought before I started working at RRA, and now I think I need another one...after I pay off my pistols. HEHEHEHE.

You can also find that our rifles come standard with a 2 stage trigger and houge grips (exclude the DCM). The price is right, not like other rifles of the same design, same group guarantee, but extra $$$$. I know my choice (not bias because of my employment) would undoubtably be go with the RRA.

As for you question on performance - The DEA selected us after the endurance testing for the government contract because our extremely low failure rate, and the tasteful accuracy was there. If it is good for our boys to defend the public interest...it should be good for you too.

Later guys,
Bob

·
Premium Member
9,578 Posts
Words in some circles have it the RRA AR's are some of the most underrated and underpriced rifles out there. I had a Bushmaster 16" with brake. The rifle didn't do much for me and wasn't a standout grouper. I sold it for an RRA A2 Standard. It (the RRA) is a superb rifle. It shoots whatever you put in it reliably. No malfunctions to date. I find myself really wanting to shoot this rifle alot. It is accurate and will put generic stuff into groups from 1 1/4" to 1 3/4'' all day long. Occasionally its preferred white box groups 7/8" to 1 1/4" groups if I do my part. With premium sporting ammo it is at least a 1" rifle, as avertised. This is with a scope and off bags. Little pieces of broken clay pigeons on the back stop are goners. The trigger is real nice compared to some of the other makes out there. It is out of box match quality though not necessarily a custom tuned match quality. A little work from someone knowledgeable about AR's and I am sure it would rival the finest triggers out there.

If you look at the specs on these rifles you are definitely getting more bag for the buck than other makes out there. The BM CMP rifle is speced (accuracy potential) the same as the RRA standard AR's. I haven't shot an RRA CMP (DCM) match gun but would like the opportunity.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Well alrighty then...I just traded my Colt XSE stainless governemt for a RRA AR15. It was a special buy for members at AR15.com. only 1000 were made. Its the tactical entry type with pinned buttstock. Actually the trade will take place in about 3 weeks. We are both Nevadans and all it takes is a face to face. Dr. Bob have you got any info on these rifles (AR15.com) buy. They were sold in 2001, the AR only has 100 rounds thru it and my Colt about 50. I have read some pretty positive posts on the RRA AR15s. Oh and by the way Im not without another .45...I just ordered a Springfield WW2 mil-spec to replace the Colt. It was just to damn pretty to carry.

·
Registered
27,682 Posts
NevadaPistolero said:
Well alrighty then...I just traded my Colt XSE stainless governemt for a RRA AR15. It was a special buy for members at AR15.com. only 1000 were made. Its the tactical entry type with pinned buttstock. Actually the trade will take place in about 3 weeks. We are both Nevadans and all it takes is a face to face. Dr. Bob have you got any info on these rifles (AR15.com) buy. They were sold in 2001, the AR only has 100 rounds thru it and my Colt about 50. I have read some pretty positive posts on the RRA AR15s. Oh and by the way Im not without another .45...I just ordered a Springfield WW2 mil-spec to replace the Colt. It was just to damn pretty to carry.
I have one of these AR's also. It may say one of a thousand on the side but I think there were less than 400 made. Enjoy yours, I have over 4000 rounds through mine without a problem of any kind.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Have a strong Bias now as own a RR LTD. 1911 {but also own a Baer}

My 1st. and only AR {outside of clones} is their 16" Varmint.

Did the research and think that for the $ they offer one of the best deals out there. From my RR 1911 I also know they stand behind their work!

Mine will shoot 1" groups with FED Mil over-run ammo from a machine rest and bag, easily, if I do my part.
Outside of glass the only "upgrade" have made on mine is a Jewell trigger to wring out the true potential of the Superb Wilson barrel's they use.
Use it for everything from bench fun to 3-Gun Games.
As the other poster mentions RRA IS underrated....

Great AR's at a very Fair price!

·
Registered
769 Posts
I have the RRA Tactical Entry M4. I love this gun. 2K through it and no real problems. One FTE on one of the last rounds of crappy Olympic Arms 5.56 I ran through it. Sheered the case rim off and I had to lightly tap the case out with a rod.

From looking around here locally it seems they are up to production demand. They need to dump the Faux muzzle breaks though. I'm glad I ordered mine custom.

Mark

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.