1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello:

I picked up a custom 10mm that I ordered last January from the pistolsmith last night.

It was meant to be a twin to my forged frame and slide Caspian 10mm carry gun, but I went with RRA on the recommendations of some pistolsmiths when I learned Caspian no longer offers forged frames.

Like the first one the RRA based gun has a Kart barrel, Ed Brown externals and SVI internal parts. The front sight started as a large blank fit to my preferred sight picture then sent to Trijicon for the insert and painted circle.

In a concession to cost the checkering on the front strap of the RRA was machined by them as opposed to the hand checkering on the Caspian (which I've had since 2001). The rear of both slides are hand checkered at 40 lpi.

The RRA slide is round topped while the Caspian is flat. Both have Heinie magwells too.

The RRA has an Aftec extractor. Bill Dale, the guy who built it, does a lot of IPSC Open guns and is a huge Aftec fan in non-.45 ACP 1911's. He runs them in his own 9x23 and 10mm's and pressed me to give it a try. My Caspian has eaten two conventional ones after a gob of rounds so I decided to give it a try. We'll see how that goes.

The slide and grip screws were done in a very high polish blue meant to contrast with the matte frame. I wish I had sprung to have the frame polished too but that will have to wait.

Thanks a lot for looking in. My wife just rolled her eyes, told me they all look alike, and reminded me this is the last one until the kids are out of college!

My macro photography skills are pathetic and don't do the gun justice.

Brent

Attachments

·
Registered
98 Posts
That last magwell picture makes it look look like a double stack. Will Triad be having a third annual Ned Christiansan armorers course so i can see this up close?

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the kind words on the gun.

Dennis and I are slowing Triad down for 2008. We'll be back with a full schedule in 2009. Things were getting tough for both of us, especially Dennis, on the time it was taking up.

We're just bringing in Randy Cain for four classes this year, two near me at an excellent range between Midland and Mt. Pleasant and two down at our standby in Fenton. I hope to break this 10mm in for real then.

They are on Randy's website and will be on ours soon.

http://www.cumberlandtactics.com/

Thanks for asking-

Brent

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
Nice custom 10MM Brent. I like the Heinie Magwell too. Did you have an EGW Flat Firing Pin Stop added? What have you done to make your 10MM last longer? I like the Winchester ammo too, but it's o the warm side. Lately I've been using Blazer 10MM as my dealer has it at a good price and I'm not on a 10MM reloading cycle right now.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I shoot mainly a really mild handload that just makes Major in all weather I worked up back in my IPSC obsession days. I haven't bothered to work up another. So, most of what my guns will see is a 180 gr. bullet at just under 1000 fps. This obviously is like shooting a .40 S&W give or take.

Like any red-blooded 10mm owner I do shoot the real stuff once in a while- sometimes my own handloads and sometimes "affordable" hotter stuff like Silvertips, which my local hardware always has in stock. I got lucky and bought the remaining stock of Corbon DPX at a huge mark down when a local shop went out of business and I plan to run a bunch of that through this one. I still have a pile of Norma, the FBI 190 gr. subgun load and some other older stuff I hope to try in it too. Did you notice the box of 10mm 155 gr. Match ammo in the photo? I've had that since I found it in a little shop, well after Winchester dropped it, about ten years ago. I really should try that too...

Anyway, back to your question, I don't use shock buffs anymore and don't have the EGW firing pin stop part in these guns. I probably should though, and do put in a shock buff when I shoot hot stuff as well as replace the 18.5# spring with a 22# one.

How about you?

Brent

·
Registered
91 Posts
Brent,

Very nice RRA pistol! The Heinie magwell looks really good! Did you have any problems seating magazines into the magwell? I use Wilson and CMC mags with the standard base pad on my S&A magwell, but would like to try the Heinie.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Thanks for the kind words.

With a Heinie magwell a standard 1911 magazine fits flush with it. The advantage of a Heinie is that you get the benefit of a flared opening like on your S&A but without adding overall length to the gun.

I've used the hard chromed gun a lot using the standard non-bumper pad magazines I carry and it works great, but I always get a blood blister in the middle of my palm from the occasional pinch seating the flush mag. Of course this can be eliminated using magazines like you have. The magwell would work great for you, but the downside is they are expensive to install. S&A's are very well made and work well with minimal fuss as you know.

Brent

·
Registered
180 Posts
Very nice looking pistol Brent!

The magwell would work great for you, but the downside is they are expensive to install.
The expense of installing the Heinie is almost all labor. There is an a lot of machining, hand fitting, and blending involved, but they do look nice when done. You are also committed to it once installed unlike the S&A where you can switch back and forth with a standard mainspring housing.

Mark

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Mark. As I stated in the opener the pistolsmith was really pleased with the frame and slide. He likes to mill his own sight cuts because of previous bad experiences with the factory sight cuts on some other slides, but indicated that the pin holes were so well done on this set that he was certain the sight cuts would have been right too.

Anyway, you're sure right about labor costs on the Heinie magwell. They are about the best thing going if one wants a flared opening on a carry gun but sure require a lot of shop time. You're limited on grips too, thought I've found Heinie's shop to be fine to work with, letting you describe what you want over the phone and doing their best to send what you asked for.

I hope to have a friend who can actually use a camera take a real picture. It is shameful how little mine show off the gun.

Brent

1 - 13 of 13 Posts