1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, this is what my ffl said, a new gun cannot be shipped in to CA (this pertains to unlisted guns) or a used gun from a dealer, but a private party transfer of a used gun is legal to ship into CA. so say you found a used RRA 1911 that is not being sold by a FFL dealer but a private party, it can be shipped here in CA, is this true ? has any one heard of this ?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Bobby:
I called the DOJ and asked a similar question. Their answer was:
If it is to be imported into CA, it must first pass the test.
To be a Private Party Transfer, it must be between two people IN CA.
look at the web site, it lists approved guns, and the laws.
Walt

·
Registered
354 Posts
The law as listed on the Attorney General's site is unclear, but I also wrote to the AG's office to get clarification and got the same answer as 45Colt.

Most dealers by now know this. However, if your dealer is willing to do this (handle the sale of an unlisted gun shipped in from out of state by a private party), you'd get the gun and he'd take the risk of getting in trouble with the state. So, if he insists he understands the law correctly, well, great. But I'd warn him that he is likely wrong and he'd better double-check.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Technically both parties have to be present at the FFL location at the time of transfer. If you buy a gun from a private party outside the state, it is classified as a dealer transfer.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
I believe Scooter got it right. Both private party has to be present at the FFL who will be filing the DROS for you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts