1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I own one 1911 gun--a LB Premier II that I just purchased. I'm slowly moving out of the HK P9S world. I also own a sig 210--my favorite. I'm contemplating a RRA Elite Commando and from reading threads, sometimes a dangerous thing to take seriously, I wonder if RRA is the best place to put 1500-2000.00 dollars.

Is RRA's status among afficionado's and their quality of work one that is level with years past, rising, or declining? Thanks, Greg

·
Registered
735 Posts
Well, that is a good question! RRA is among the best semi-custom guns out there, I.E. Baer, Wilson, Brown. The thing is they are all different in their own way. To be honest the RRA EC is a great choice for the money, they seem to have a real good trigger, the quality is very high and you can do just about anything you want to them when ordering, very little restrictions.

I dont have or know anyone who owns a RRA 1911 yet so it is hard to tell you much else about them, I want one of the commander EC's myself too in all black T. I can tell you that the RRA AR-15's are sweet, my buddy has one and they are among the best most reliable out there. I know the St. Louis PD just bought a dozen of them after choosing them over all the others out there with the exception of Baer or Wilson that is because they are not even close to the price range of an RRA AR-15.

Unless you are badly wanting something else I think the RRA is a good choice but does not seem to get the recognition like the other semi-custom guns do.

CG.

·
Premium Member
4,787 Posts
I prefer the RRA, specifically the Elite Commando in the price range you stated. Although I am also fond of Ed Brown's pistols, the RRA is hard to beat. I own one, and have sold many. They are good people that make a good product. Their achilles heel is communication. Chuck, the Owner, and Chief Pistolsmith, has his hands in every part of the business, and still manages to perform final fitting, and test firing. He also has "the answers". As such, communication is less than efficient. To minimize any possible headache, I strongly recommend finding a reputable dealer through which to make your purchase.

I will say, though, that the communication issue is not enough to even second guess them. I know of one Master Pistolsmith who has said he will be buying one, and yet another that says they are the best for the money.

Be well!

·
Registered
949 Posts
Hi

Based on what I read here, I was buying a RRA. I went to a bulllseye match and looked at a Les Baer. I called RRA and was told say 3 months (don't remember), I called Les Baer and they said half that. I called Champion's Choice and they had a hardball gun in stock, mine. I'm happy. I have no reason to believe that I'd be any less happy if RRA would have had one in stock.

Mike

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
There's like 6 of them for sale now on gunbroker.com and gunsamerica.com, so unless you want a really customized gun right out the chute, you can pretty much find any model already on a dealers shelf somewhere.

This is quite different from the last few years. You can still send it back to have it modified or customized after you shoot it a while or whatever.

I have a Les Baer Premier II and a RRA Limited Match, and even though they are virtually twins, I still prefer the RRA, just for a very few, very small details.

I still think, to me at least, they have a little more of that undefinable air of exclusivity or rarity. Not nearly as many of them out there as Les Baer, or Wilson, I mean. They are every bit as good, but they haven't turned into quite the 'assembly-line' that Wilson and Les Baer have become. My Premier II came with a certificate of supposedly all the people that worked on my pistol and it was about 12 names. My RRA Hardball, from 1999, was built by Chuck, period. I think they've added some other workers now though. But the wait time for a new one went from 18 months to 3 months, so that's partly why there's some built, and on dealers shelves.

If we could still buy them here in CA, I'd have a couple more by now.

·
Registered
794 Posts

Well My View May Be Tainted But I Only Shoot Rra In 1911 Now. I Have Found Tham To Be The Finest 1911's I Have Ever Used Period. Had A Baer Gave It Back For A Refund, Shot Plenty Of Nowlin's, Wilson's, Marvel, Shockly, Clarks. The Rra's Are The Ones. Upon Buying The Hard Bal Gun I Legged In 6 Matches Including Being The Cut Guy On One. As Far As Being Semi Custom Hog Wash!! They Are True Custom Built By Hand To Your Specs. How Can That Be Considered Semi Custom. Dollar For Dollar They Are The Best Money Can Buy. You Can Pay More But You Won't Get More For Your Money. Jp

·
Registered
295 Posts
I've been selling RRA's for sometime now, and I think they are the best value upper end 1911 out there for the money. You can order them "your way", and they flat out perform. Biggest obstacle I have is educating my customers about them! Many times they are confused with the other "Rocks"!
Allan

·
Registered
15 Posts
A close friend of mine has an RRA and had problems with the extractor...he tells me that several RRA's had extractor problems in the past, but that this is supposed to be solved...

His is an awfully good lookin'gun...

bluedsteel

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
deezulsmoke said:
Best for the money hands down, but that is just my opinion. They were really a steal about 2-3 years ago.

Deez.

I don't think it was much more than 4 years ago they had ads for one of their 1911s for $975. Should have bought two or three of them.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
deezulsmoke said:
Best for the money hands down, but that is just my opinion. They were really a steal about 2-3 years ago.

Deez.
I agree, They were the best buy out there. Prices have crept up as their reputation has grown.

Still a great pistol.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I think they're still running under the radar as far as many shooters are concerned. However I'm sure that will all change as more of us turn our friends on to them. They're build quality and finish are great and because of this I gladly support them.

·
Registered
835 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts