1911Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I attempt to disengage tge right hand safety, it goes half way down a d gets stuck also sticking tge left hand safety half way down too. FIDDLING with tge right one is if no help. Fiddling with tge left will get it stuck. Any suggestions? I have not taken it apart yet. This was bought new a few years ago and has never worked very well.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
23,225 Posts
Is this the Kimber ambi that uses the hammer pin to retain the off side (the lever operated by the left thumb)?
I had one for a while, thought it was a good design and well made, but things can break.
The issue might be with the tip of the hammer pin and its fit with the offside lever, or it could be the fit of the two halves of the axle pin; removing the offside lever, which requires field stripping, would be a good start.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. I looked and it is a polymer gold match model. After reading topics on here, I thought I might get Novak to fit a Wilson Combat bulletproof ambi safety system to it.

·
Premium Member
9,779 Posts
From the indicators given it could also be a slightly too long pivot pin or/and too long hammer pin (if the hammer pin retains right side paddle). What RickB said should be checked.

What is happening when applying the thumb safety via the right side paddle the thumb also pushes the thumb safety to the left. When the pin(-s) are too long this left bias movement pushes the left side paddle out just enough to move the thumb safety blocking lug into the frame cutout. On the two piece tongue and groove type both sides of the pins are shortened carefully and very slight until the malfunction is nonexistent. On the three piece type it will need to be determined if it is the pivot pin, hammer pin or both.

Quick test for this condition is to apply the thumb safety using the right side paddle as pistol is held in the left hand. Do it until the malfunction occurs. Then push the left sode aafety to the right. If the thumb safety then works, the pin(-s) is(are) too long.

Another give away to this long pin(-s) condition is to view the frame from the rear. Push the left side thumb safety paddle to the right. If you see obvious space between the right side paddle and the frame then this is likely the cause of the issue.

Reactions: Green Mtn. Boy
1 - 5 of 5 Posts