1911Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking of getting a wraparound rubber grip for my Govt. size 1911. The two brands I've checked out are Hogue and Pachmayr. Both grips come with finger grooves in front. The Pachmayr has a traditional checkered, double-diamond style design with a metal Pachhmayr medallion where the colt stallions should be. In contrast, the Hogues are flatter and have shallow irregular indentations in place of the checkering for traction. Has anybody had experience with either of these fine grips? Any comments or sugesstions are welcome.

Thanks!

·
Registered
286 Posts
I had a set of Hogue wrap around a few years back. They were pretty comfortable, if you like the feel of rubber. I will teel you that I do not use them anymore though as when it heats up and I begin to sweat the grips no longer feel secure in my hands.

------------------
Simian

NRA Life Member

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
I have Hogue Wrap around rubber finger-groove grips on all my working guns. They are very comfortable and when my hands sweat, I have no problems with slippage like Simian, above.

I think they make a working gun look "tough" as well.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
My Colt Defender came with a set of hogues, they felt great and traction wasn't a problem. They did wear quickly though from rubbing against my shirt/ side when carried. (well, quickly=6 months before all the pebble's were gone)
I do think the Hogue's are much better than the Pachmayr's though, much better feel.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Have a pair of each I took off used pieces I've bought.I'm a diehard wood man,but ivory is nice on certain pieces for looks.Hate rubber,it's worse than plastic.Sorry.

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
I don't like rubber stocks on a pistol carried concealed, they seem to be "grabby" to me and the covering clothing does not slide over them as well as wood or ivory or stag.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
Molon Labe

·
Registered
614 Posts
To echo Jim V, if carrying concealed, your shirt or over-garment will most likely tend to ride up on the grip, possibly causing squeels from old ladies and Democrats for miles around.

They're good to shoot with though...

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't think I'll be able to carry anyway since I don't have permit to carry. I will be using the pistol mostly for honing my skills at the range. I will probably get a pair of dark rosewoods or some black wood grips to use interchangeably with the rubber grips but I still would like to try the wraparounds just the same. I'm not sure how many models Hogue or Pachmayr make of their grips but the following images show the ones I'm interested in. Its also kinda funny that nobody has come forward with anything good to say about the Pachmayrs. I was kinda leaning towards them before posting this thread. But then again, the Colts do come with Hogues so does this mean they're better than the Pachmayrs? If so, in what way?

Hogue

Pachmayr

BTW, Thanks for the replies!

malmon

·
Registered
541 Posts
malmon,i've got a pachmayr with finger grooves and i like them just fine, it's not my carry gun. my carry is a kahr mk with stock grips

·
Banned
5,952 Posts
malmon......
My experience with both types of grips has been good. On older Colts it's not unusual to find Pachmayr grips with the Colt gold medallion. One suggestion if you're going to use them for your carry gun especially if it's blued....put a very light film of Break Free under the grips so that moisure and perspiration doesn't turn to rust under the grips. Too much oil can create a slippery grip. A good police officer friend of mine had Bianchi/Pachmayr grips on his Series 70 Colt. Lots of rust under the grips. Not good for your Colt.
SamColtFan

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I prefer the colt wrap arounds but I happened to have a case blow out on me a few months ago. Luckily I had the pachmayrs on the gun. Their the only one with a full piece of steel molded in the side panels. They puffed out about an 1/8 inch. I took them off and bent them straight and reassembled the gun,good as new. I use the flat Pachmayrs wityh no indents or bulges or the double diamonds and sand down the finger humps.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I've tried both the Hogue and the Pachmayers. They are both quality products. I no longer use them because I don't like how I am unable to adjust my grip with the gun in hand. Both grips are just too tacky to allow this. I shoot my guns in action pistol matches and if I don't get a good hand placement on the draw I have to bring my other hand up to hold the pistol while I reacquire a better hold. It's not an issue if you shoot slow fire but in any action pistol game it is a big issue. This problem probably would be an issue also if you are able to use your pistol for self defense.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I was thinking about the Pearce Grip rubber panels and the brownells front strap checkering cover. It seems like it would work nicely. The front checkering strap could be used with any grip panels and would work nicely.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Malmon:

I have both and use both. But it really depends on what you are looking for as to which one you should get.

As pointed out above the Hogue grips are softer and have a sort of "spongie" feel to them. They wear out much quicker and they definitely will grab you cover garment (if used for carry). If you are doing nothing but range work they seem to be the most comfortable.

The Pachmayers are the ones I like the best simply because they seem to offer the best "all round" performance (at least to me). they wear much better and could be used for carry. They are not quite as comfortable as the Hogues but not by much.

the way I tested them (not exatly scientific haha) was to shoot 200 rounds with the Hogues on one day, and then 200 rounds with the Pach a few days later. I didn't have as much of that numb ache with the Hogues, but the other factors (wear, and inability to easily shift my grip) made me come to the conclusion that I liked the Pachs better.

I know you said you were considering the figure groove models.....but the Pachmayer non-finger grooves are my fave. They allow you to adjust your grip better and I like the checkering on the front strap better than the figer grooves. (just my opinion.)

Best of luck. Let us know what you decide.

------------------
I guess if we do that.....maybe we all earn the right to go home.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts