1911Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I rack the slide on my SA TRP, I can hear what sounds like the recoil spring rubbing along the length of the guide rod. Is this normal? It seems like it would have to be.

If I unscrew the rod and take it out (this is a 2 piece rod), then rack the slide, the sound I hear then is a very smooth sound, which is what I'm used to hearing with other semiautos (the TRP is my first FLGR pistol).

Thanks in advance.

-Dave

·
Premium Member
20,434 Posts
Sure your spring isn't in backwards?

·
Registered
203 Posts
If you do not have a burr on the end of your spring, which should leave some sort of drag line that you could notice, and if your spring is not in backwards - open end towards the muzzle and closed end toward the shooter, then it could be the rod dragging on the recoil plug as it passes through it. If the rod has some fine machine markings on it and the fit through the recoil spring plug is tight then you may get the sound you are talking about. You could take out the forward portion of the two piece rod and with some lapping compound or other mild abrasive compound spin the rod inside of the recoil plug while moving it back and forth along the rod smoothing and lightly clearancing the two pieces. When finished buff or polish the rod down to make sure it is smooth and double check the hole in the recoil plug to make sure it has been cleaned up properly and has more than adequate clearance on the rod. Also while you are looking at your two piece recoil rod make sure that at the back of the rod the area from the top of the little "horseshoe" has about a .45º angle cut on it about half way down towards the bottom. The angle at the top open portion of the "horseshoe" should come pretty close to the back of the ears. This will make sure that there is room for the barrel link to have proper room to operate in when using these full length rods. A standard recoil rod, even though they should be angled to, has more room to tilt up and somewhat out of the way of the barrel link during cycling but the full length rods by virture of their being trapped at the front are not able to move quite as freely. If it is not angled it is a very easy and rapidly accomplished project.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the replies.

I disassembled the TRP last night to make sure the spring was on correctly (it was) and also to check for any signs of rubbing on the slide or dust cover (there was none).

I'll check tonight to see if there is any rubbing between the front part of the guide rod and the recoil plug -- I hadn't thought of that as a possibility.

So I am still uncertain whether the rubbing sound should be there at all. It seems to make sense that the spring actually would rub along the length of the guide rod. When I work the slide back and forth with the front part of the rod removed, the action sounds smooth; when I put the rod in the sound is different. Not a bad sound, just different.

-Dave

·
Registered
203 Posts
Dave: There is going to be contact between the rod and the recoil plug as the rod passes through the hole while the slide cycles - not any way to get around it unless you put a conventional short recoil spring guide and closed end recoil plug in your pistol. This would certainly be an option for you to consider and the cost would be very minimal indeed and you would not really be giving up much in the process as the full length rod does not contribute to the accuracy of your pistol. I do not know of any full length rod that remains perfectly centered in the recoil plug while it moves back and forth with the slide action. All full length rods I have seen exhibit some type of wear marks on them, albeit very minimal in the scheme of things. Make sure the surface of the rod is as smooth as you can or want to get it and insure that the portion of the recoil plug that contacts the rod is smooth and loose enough to freely move down the rod. You have indicated that this is the first firearm you have had with this type of guide rod and that may be why you are noticing what you percieve to be a big difference in sound. You have indicated that the spring is on correctly and that there are no unusual markings currently on the rod - smooth everything out real well and make sure you have good clearance through the plug hole and see if that does not appeal to your sense of hearing a little better. Most of all, shoot the heck out of that pistol and enjoy it - I can assure you that you will not notice the sound of that rod while it is firing.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My thanks and appreciation to everyone for their responses; I now have the peace of mind that all is well with my .45 :)

Bullseye45acp said:
Most of all, shoot the heck out of that pistol and enjoy it - I can assure you that you will not notice the sound of that rod while it is firing.
:D

-Dave

1 - 7 of 7 Posts