1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking seriously at a ruger 10/22. its meant to be a fun plinking gun when i don't want to use my .45 or .357.

i was wondering whether anyone has any negative comments on them, i thinking of dressing it up with a bull pup stock, scope and muzzlebrake and those long banana mags, it would be pretty fun to have a baby bullpup pretend wanna be assault thingy!

all accesories will have be no smithing bolt ons to a standard barreled 10/22.

any advice suggestions or particular products would be much appreciated. cheers, trapmonkey.

·
Registered
198 Posts
trapmonkey,

They are great little rifles. I have a couple of them. I bought my first on in 1981 and have used it plinking and squirrel hunting ever since. It has never jammed or malfunctioned in any way and believe it or not, I have never cleaned the internals or the barrel. Initially, I didn't clean it because of the difficulty of cleaning a semi-auto from the breech and the risk (of damaging the bore) of cleaning from the muzzle. When the bore snakes came along several years ago, I loved them, however, I have purposefully not cleaned my 10/22 just to see if it will ever fail. I'll clean it when it does fail, but not until. Of course I keep the outside clean and wipe it down with a good clp.

You asked about negative comments, I only have one. The standard base model 10/22 comes with a lawsuit proof trigger. Mine (before I had the trigger job done) and most other standard 10/22 rifles I've ever shot came with a trigger pull that was terrible and must have been 10 lbs or more. You will need to get some sort of drop in trigger group to improve it. I had a local gunsmith work on mine to get a decent trigger pull, but you said no smithing would be done to yours.

You may be aware that Ruger also has a target version, the 10/22T. I bought one of those and it came with a nice trigger pull. It also comes with a heavy barrel. Mine is extremely accurate. In the U.S., they run about $300, which is a bit more than the standard 10/22.

Good luck with your pruchase.

Wilson2

·
Premium Member
6,416 Posts
The 10/22 is a great rifle, they are afforadble ,reliable and there are tons of accessories for them. I had a Bullpup stock on mine for a while, it seemed to make the rifle jam. If you don't get all the info you are looking for here you might try www.rimfirecentral.com

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Most people seem to love them, but I've never been wowed myself, especially by the newer ones. I've never had one I kept--they were either jammers or relatively inaccurate. I've personally never owned one that was better than ho-hum in the accuracy department. My brother's had a bunch and always ended up getting rid of his too. There must be good ones, as so many people seem to like them. My brother did have ONE years ago that was pretty accurate and didn't jam, but thats the only one out of quite a few we have both owned over the years.

·
Registered
412 Posts
My brother has one and both me and him really like it. It's the first 22 we shot when we were 5 years old. That was in 1985. I use to take it outside everyday in the summer time and shoot 50 rounds at apples. I was really good then ,but not now. He only cleans once in awhile and it still works great! Very realible and very accurate! I can't think of any negative comments to say about it.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I like mine. I wish it would lock back the bolt after the final round with the mag in, though.

Oh, yeah....use jacketed ammo. Lead bullets tend to raise Cain with this rifle and my Ruger 22 pistol.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I love them. The only negative I have had is the factory trigger sucks. A Volquartsen target hammer solved that problem for me.

·
Registered
302 Posts
3 complaints about mine:

The trigger sucks. Big news there, considering everyone else that has posted the same thing.

The bolt doesn't lock back after the last shot, which means that unless you count rounds you're going to dro pthe hammer on an empty chamber every single magazine.

The bolt release is small and finicky. sometimes it works fine, sometimes it requires 3 hands to work properly. easy enough to buy a drop-in part - they sell for less than $15.

Now the positives:

If the bullet feeds (problem with 22LR, not the gun) it goes bang every time. Qithout question.

Even with the crappy trigger it's still a MOA gun if I do my job. That's without all the fancy mods - bedding the action, floating the barrel, etc. Just a stock 10/22.

Get the gun. They're fun, and a great way to hone your trigger skills once you get something with a better trigger.

Oh, don't forget to try some of that subsonic 22LR ammo that's out there. It's a great deal of fun, especially since you have to hold about 2 feet high at 50 yards!

·
Registered
569 Posts
Bought one about 10 years ago and have never regretted it. Bought alot of aftermarket stuff from Cheaper Than Dirt so that it now looks like an M1 carbine. Has a heat shield, flah suppresor with encircled front post site, and rear peep site. About a month ago, I bought an Nc Star red dot site for it which makes it really fun for plinking.

The one negative side is those 30 round magazines you talk about run about $70 to $75. One company makes a copy for around $50.

One other solution for this is to buy the standard 10 rd magazines and clip them together, back to back. The little clip runs about $10.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
I have had mine since about 1983 or so and this is one of the guns that I will never get rid of. I do not what to think about how much ammo has been through this thing. Runs like a champ and the trigger does get better about after 30 or so bricks of ammo, that or I got used to it :D IMHO the best auto loading 22's on the market.

Stacey

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just wanted to point out that there is no such thing as jacketed .22lr bullets. The 22 mag has jacketed bullets but the 22lr is only a copper wash. And replacing the hammer will give you about 2.5lb trigger pull for about $30. And I've never had a problem with my bolt release, you just have to know how it works;)

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I absolutely love mine. its been modified now but when bone stock would shoot .3-.4 inch center to center at 50yrs with remington golden bullets (that bulk stuff...thats loose in a box, not neatly packed). Now it shoots 10x better still with the stock TNZ barrel. the volq hammer does all the trigger job you need (i stoned my stocker instead), and there are soo many parts for it that you cant imagine.

·
Administrator
73,480 Posts
scubie02 said:
Most people seem to love them, but I've never been wowed myself, especially by the newer ones. I've never had one I kept--they were either jammers or relatively inaccurate. I've personally never owned one that was better than ho-hum in the accuracy department. My brother's had a bunch and always ended up getting rid of his too. There must be good ones, as so many people seem to like them. My brother did have ONE years ago that was pretty accurate and didn't jam, but thats the only one out of quite a few we have both owned over the years.
Let me guess, you were using the crappy plastic aftermarket hi-cap mags? With the factory rotary magazine 10/22's have always been noted for super reliability. Mine simply doesn't jam unless those crappy plastic mags are used. In fact the 10/22 is one of the few .22's on the market deemed reliable enough for defense use (yes, for some people a .22 rifle is the most gun they can handle). About the only thing I don't like about them is the fact that they're a bit beefy for a .22LR. My Marlin 70 is a lot thinner, and thus more handy and streamlined, and it doesn't make that annoying loud CLANK of a heavy bolt moving every time I shoot it.

That having been said, my rifle is of 1985 vintage. Has Ruger's QC gone to pot like everybody else's while I was away?

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Actually, I've never used the hi cap mags with one--only the stock ones that come with them. I've only owned a couple myself, and mine weren't SUPER bad jammers--just the occasional ones--but they all had lousy triggers and none were very accurate. My brother seems to be the one that gets the really bad jammers. He's tried over and over to get a good one--must have owned at least a dozen or more over the years. I think this comes from the fact that his first one WAS halfway decent, and he keeps trying to get another.

That having been said, I think that in general quality has gone down across the board, and I also think that the quality of 22 ammo has gone down, which causes some of the problems with jamming and accuracy. I would have to say that having owned numerous ones of both that marlins in general have been more accurate than the 10/22's, and the ones I have had that were clip fed have tended to be quite reliable as well. My first 22 was a marlin 995 and that thing only ever jammed once in thousands and thousands of rounds, and that was with a stinger--didn't like the long cases. It was also shockingly accurate. I've tried for years to repeat the reliabilty and accuracy and am still looking. I'm actually being tempted by one of the cz's right at the moment. Not the greatest finishing but the trigger seems exceptional and I have heard good things accuracy wise. Guess we'll see.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Please note--I have nothing against ruger's in general--I have said over and over that they tend to be good, workhorse guns. I've owned ALOT of them over the years. They can generally be made to shoot halfway decently, but in their stock forms are generally pretty ho-hum. Their customer service is some of the best out there, which to me is one of their main selling points. W/ the 10/22's as I said, most people just love them. Then again its possible that most people don't expect the accuracy that I want from a 22. I probably wouldn't either if my first one hadn't been as good as it was.

Now their 22 PISTOLS on the other hand I very much like--I have seen many of those be absolute tackdrivers...

·
Registered
369 Posts
I bought one used for $129 with one of the Ramline 30 round mags. With the 30 rounder it jams every time on the 15th round. Other than that absolutly no problems. I also have 3 standard mags that give me no problems.
I don't know about groups but I can regularly hit spent shotgun shells at 50 yards.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
bugman said:
I bought one used for $129 with one of the Ramline 30 round mags. With the 30 rounder it jams every time on the 15th round. Other than that absolutly no problems. I also have 3 standard mags that give me no problems.
I don't know about groups but I can regularly hit spent shotgun shells at 50 yards.
any and all of the high capacity magazines or aftermarket mags will give you problems...but the factory mags are 100%, they may need some tuning but once tuned stay good

·
Registered
281 Posts
I love mine. I've got at least 30k rounds through it. As a kid it was normal to go shoot 500 rounds through it in a day with 30 round rams.

Now it's a little worse for wear, and a little more picky about being clean. It used to reliably feed with any ammunition, now it's reliable with the more powerful bullets (like Stingers and Dynapoints) but some of the slower, lower quality stuff can give me a stovepipe every once in a while.

I've done a couple tricks I found on RFC (like chamfering the rear of the bolt) and it's almost as good as new.

As far as accuracy, it does its part if I do mine. 5 shots touched by a dime from a bench at 50 yards isn't out of the question.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts