1911Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well I am finally going to break down and go back to the roots adding a few l little goodies.. I plan on picking up a Ruger 10/22T for some good old fashioned plinking fun. I haven't owned a .22 since I was kid and my first was an old pump action. I am actually kinda excited for the first time in a while to be purchasing a rifle I want and not one that I necessarily need.

I have looked at several models from Kimber, Ruger, and that ausz thing company and the Ruger still seems to be the best bang for the buck. If I wanted to spend a 1000 dollars on a rifle I would get another M1A... :biglaugh:

I have been looking at the accessories, as that is important to me ,and I was suprised to find they have some 25 round magazines for the 10/22.. I was wondering if any modifications need to be made for the receiver to accept the magazine and are they reliable?

Other than that I am sorta at another impass as well.. I want the ability to have irons and mount a scope... Which is difficult considering I would like a bull barrel as well.. If anyone else has had that dilema how did you decide what to do?

Any help is appreciated.

Ohh ya as a side note what is the best type ammunition for the .22L in terms of accuracy and wound ballistics? CCI Stingers?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
367 Posts
Don't know about the rest of your questions, but the mags are a direct fit. :rock:
 

·
Hold my beer & watch this
Joined
·
5,570 Posts
Mine came pre-tapped for a rail,and the scope rail was supplied as well. My friend's also came that way and he used see-through scope mounts. Irons for up close,scope for farther out. Works great.

I don't know about wound ballistics,but CCI Stingers seem to have the flattest trajectory.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
2TransAms said:
Mine came pre-tapped for a rail,and the scope rail was supplied as well. My friend's also came that way and he used see-through scope mounts. Irons for up close,scope for farther out. Works great.

I don't know about wound ballistics,but CCI Stingers seem to have the flattest trajectory.
I am assuming you and your friends did not come with a bullbarrel... :)

I think to keep the irons I am going to have to break down and get a standard..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
53 Posts
I'll be the first to say that one absolutely cannot go wrong with a 10/22. Having said that, I would give the CZ's a very good look too. As for out of the box accuracy, you won't find another rifle that's more accurate than these without spending over $600. I have the CZ 452 American and I know others who have the 452 American and the Varmit and they can all hang with the Anshutz's and some of the other high dollar rigs. The best news is they're around $300. Give 'em a look. Simp
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
114 Posts
Do you want a semi auto or bolt action .22 rifle? I'd get the 10/22 for a semi and as mentioned,a CZ if you want a bolt action rifle. They are accurate and really good looking. Do you plan on doing any upgrades for the 10/22?

You want a bull barrel with iron sights...well here ya go,sir...even comes fluted! :rock:

Click link...
http://www.staffordsales.com/gm.htm

Also,check out rimfirecentral.com...LOTS of info there. You can spend weeks there absorbing all the knowledge. Stingers are ok,but might not cycle well in a semi-auto. Powerful round, but subsonic .22's are usually a little more accurate for target shooting. A great bang for the buck ammo is the WOLF MT ammo. Inexpensive and very accurate. I've shot dime size groups at 50 yards with Wolf with my piece of crap 10/22 below.... heh

PS...no mods need to be done to accept the 25 round clips,or any other style of clips for that matter.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Good looking rifle brother...

Actually I am not looking to do a dadgum thing to it other than place a scope on it... I have been spending to much time lately on the M1 and the ARs'... It is starting to feel like a freaking job!!!

So I want to go back and pick up something that is simply going to be fun and cheap to shoot, maybe see a little small game hunting on the side.

Other than the scope, mount, and magazines... I am not going to do anything but shoot the heck out of it and enjoy myself.. :) :biglaugh:

Ohh ya I forgot to add that I am not interested in the bolt action ony auto loaders... :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
112 Posts
NaturalSelector,
They make see thru rings you can mount directly on your receiver, no base needed, to use your iron sights AND have a scope mounted abov'em. Very handy on a field rifle.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,514 Posts
you might want a volquartsen drop in hammer, is $30 and the best money you can spend on a 10/22 . Mine breaks like glass at 2.5 lbs.
 

·
Hold my beer & watch this
Joined
·
5,570 Posts
No,neither one of us has a bull barrel.

Also Stingers work fine in everybody else's rifle, mine still needs that ejector I posted about a while back.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
I have a decked out 10/22 with a Stafford sourced Green Mt. barrel and Revival stock, plus custom trigger and bolt work, and an el cheapo Simmons .22 MAG 3x9 scope....it's a real tack driver at 50 yds!!! For the range, I use Wolf Match Ammo, it's VERY consistent.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,554 Posts
I think the Ruger 10/22 is probably the best auto loader 22 on the market. I do not want to think of how many rounds I have put through mine. It is a stock plain Jane 10/22 that I got in the early 80's. Still runs like a top even it looks like it rubbed against ever tree, cactus and rock in central Texas.

Stacey
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,492 Posts
NaturalSelector said:
Well I am finally going to break down and go back to the roots adding a few l little goodies.. I plan on picking up a Ruger 10/22T for some good old fashioned plinking fun. I haven't owned a .22 since I was kid and my first was an old pump action. I am actually kinda excited for the first time in a while to be purchasing a rifle I want and not one that I necessarily need.

I have looked at several models from Kimber, Ruger, and that ausz thing company and the Ruger still seems to be the best bang for the buck. If I wanted to spend a 1000 dollars on a rifle I would get another M1A... :biglaugh:

I have been looking at the accessories, as that is important to me ,and I was suprised to find they have some 25 round magazines for the 10/22.. I was wondering if any modifications need to be made for the receiver to accept the magazine and are they reliable?

Other than that I am sorta at another impass as well.. I want the ability to have irons and mount a scope... Which is difficult considering I would like a bull barrel as well.. If anyone else has had that dilema how did you decide what to do?

Any help is appreciated.

Ohh ya as a side note what is the best type ammunition for the .22L in terms of accuracy and wound ballistics? CCI Stingers?

Natural Selector,

In terms of trying to save money a 22 rifle can' be beat anytime! If your looking for a nice plinker the Rugers are fantastic carbines to have with you any time. To find out which ammo shoots the best you gonna have to do some careful bench rest shooting and buy a small sample of as many brands as you can. Stingers aren't the best ammo for accuracy due to it's high velocity and it's expensive as hell! For the best accuracy generally standard velocity is your best bet.

Regarding your magazine issue personally I'd stay away from those high capacities! Past experience tell me they're all junk. I'd buy a bunch of Ruger standard magazines and go from their.

If you want a bull barrel I believe "Green Mountain" offers a bull barrel with iron sights. Consider looking at the "rimfirecentral.com" web site. You should be able to find out from that site.

For myself I don't have the money to shoot my 45's much anymore. heck all my moneys going into the gas tank. That's why shooting 22's is now a nice medium now a days.

Good luck in your new adventure.

rimfire,22
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
91 Posts
NaturalSelector said:
Actually I am not looking to do a dadgum thing to it other than place a scope on it... )
i picked up a good 10/22 from my friend who never shot it but about 100 times and i prob shot 50 of them 75$ but anyway i just went and bought a weaver style scope mount, screwed it on and put a 40$ tasco red dot on there and i can hit a quarter at 30 yards or so i took it out squirrel hunting and hit the only two i saw in the head its a blast to shoot and being so cheap i guess it depends if you want a little bit higher power scope but i definatley have lots of fun with my red dot. i was even thinking about putting a folding stock with pistol grip and screwing a vertical fore grip on it for a little tricked out m4 type fun but thats when i have some extra $$ 10/22 is a great plinker -pops
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
784 Posts
What I did...

I got a "standard" model at Wally World for CHEEEEEEEP
Then I put on a Hogue overmolded stock
Replaced the trigger and "guts" with Volquartsen
Put on a Green Mountain 16" fluted Bull Barrel WITH Fire sights.
Put on an EOTech.

Let me tell you, with the EOThingie, that little rifle is FAST. I call it my precision plinker. And without the EOTech the Williams Fire Sights are AWESOME! It's a great combo of a bull barreled barrel yet with iron sights.

Rich
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
987 Posts
I have the stainless/synthetic model and it is a tack driver, likely my most fun gun to shoot save for how quick it cam empty a 10rd mag, I need some bigger mags, but it is definitely a keeper.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
541 Posts
First of all if you get the 10/22T the chamber is a semi match chamber and stingers will not be reccommended. They have a longer case than regular 22LR and will not reliably feed or extract. There are so many things that can be done to enhance the accuracy that you should go here and study up on the 10/22 customizing.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9

you will find more than you ever wanted to know about the 10/22's

The factory 10/22T is a nice rifle and most shoot very well. You won't have any option on that barrel for open sights though.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top