3,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at the Ruger webite and they list the
Ruger Bisley

Ruger New Model Vaquero

Ruger New Model Bisley Vaquero

Ruger New Model Blackhawk Convertable

Ruger Redhawk

These are all offered in the 45 Long Colt. This caliber can be hotrodded in some/all Ruger guns to shoot with or exceed the 44 magnum. Is it safe to shoot high pressure 45 Colt rounds in all Rugers or just some? If it is just some, which ones. It is even more confusing now that I have done some research. Linbaugh conversions are usually done on the single action frame, but I've heard also that the Redhawk is strong enough for these hot 45 Colt loads.

Which stock Ruger can I load up to meet or exceed 44 magnum performance levels safely?

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
All my reloading manuals use Ruger as the example of what you can use to shoot the hot loads. I think it's usually a Blackhawk they mention, but one spoke of the Redhawk, as I recall.

Anyway, I lust to own a Blackhawk .45 Long Colt (maybe a convertible with the .45 ACP cylinder, too). And I will surely "hot it up" some, and I won't worry one second about the Ruger's ability to stand it.

------------------
If God didn't want us to own guns, why did He make the 1911?

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
This thread is making me salivate!
I have a Blackhawk Convertible in 45 on order and can't wait to get it. I wanted the shorter barrel, but it seems only the 5.5" barreled models were in stock, so my gun had to be ordered. Been waiting about three weeks now. Already have about 100 rounds in 45 Colt loaded and ready to go.

------------------
Regards,
AZFred

·
Registered
24 Posts
I own the Ruger Super Redhawk 44 Mag 10" barrel, Ruger Blackhawk 45 Colt 7" barrel along with several other .357 mags by Ruger. I have never had a problem with the frames holding up, but I have always stayed within the recommended reloads for the Rugers. I have had more problems with the cases cracking after so many times fired. Ruger builds one of the best revolvers to withstand high pressures and has a great warranty on all their firearms.

TC

------------------
US Army (SFC) Disabled Veteran
Life Member Disabled American Veterans (DAV)

·
Registered
271 Posts
You can not safely load any 45 Colt to equal the 44 Mag. The Blackhawk might stand the pressure for a while but the weak link in this equation is the 45 Colt case. It was not designed to withstand magnum pressures.
If you want a magnum, buy one made for the business. Don't become a casualty trying to do something foolish. A gun only blows up
once!

------------------
John

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Am I missing something here? Why not just buy the gun chambered in .44 mag.?
Because, when you are transported back in time and have to face down the bad guys in the 1880s, you can still find ammo for your gun if it's a .45 LC. Gees, I thought it was obvious.

(I want a .45 LC because it is a .45 LC. Imagine what it would do to the shooting manufacturers if we all bought just what we needed!)

------------------
If God didn't want us to own guns, why did He make the 1911?

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A 300 gr bullet at 1315 fps is why I want a 45 Colt instead. It is also a bigger diameter. This is not some crazy idea. It is well established that some/all Rugers will do this modern loading nicely. I think you can even buy Ruger only ammo, if I'm not mistaking. I just was wondering which guns you all had that were capable of this.

·
Premium Member
6,416 Posts
I have never understood why anyone would buy a gun and then try to load rounds that push the gun to it's limits and beyond.Buy the gun that you want in the first place.Why do you want to see just how close you can come to blowing it up?

·
Registered
48 Posts
The Redhawk, Super Redhawk, Bisley and the Black Hawk are all suitable for the upper end 45 Colt handloads. The single action Rugers have shorter cylinders which can limit O.A.L when useing heavy lead bullets, just make sure your bullet is seated deep enough that it doesn't stick out past the cylinder. The Red Hawks have a longer cylinder in fact since I also shoot a 454 Casull I wondered if one could accidentally put one in a Red Hawk, Yup one could(Once).
There are several advantages to the 45 Colt when compared to the 44 Magnum such as larger frontal area, higher velocities with heavier lead bullets at much lower pressures, you will also avoid the squared trigger guard of the Super Black Hawk which many find objectionable when shooting heavy lead at the upper end power levels.
It's no trick to hit 1300 f.p.s. with a 335 grain flat nose with gas check bullet out of a 45 Colt in the Rugers and if you don't handload you can get them from Buffalo Bore.
The Red Hawks, Super Red Hawks, Super Black Hawks, stainless Black Hawks and Bisley are all steel, the blued Black Hawk is steel with an aluminum grip.
Hope this helps, have a nice day, Rabon...

·
Registered
89 Posts
FRED.FRED. You are about to start an adventure that can be very satisfing. Good for you. The Ruger convertable is a wonderful firearm. The frame is aloy and so is the ejector housing. Some people dislike this set up. I did. An esthitic reason rather than how the gun worked. The lighter weight packs nicely in a well constructed holster/belt.

Your guns barrel length is longer than mine yet I found, after shooting the 5.5, that the ballance is better. It points just fine.

The .45 Colt is a fine all around cartridge in black or smokeless powders. Black powder is really fun to shoot. The .45ACP needs no introduction on this forum. In fact shooting a few jacketed rounds after all the lead cleans up the bore.

Best of luck in the adventure. Teal Blue.

·
Registered
865 Posts
All of the Ruger .45 Colts will handle the heavy loads listed in the manuals just fine. The Blackhawk, Bisley and Vaquero share the same frame with the Super Blackhawks. The only difference is the cylinder, hammer (the Super hammer is wider) and sometimes the grip frame.

I have both a .44 and .45 Blackhawk in stainless with a 5.5" barrel and other than the size of the hole in the barrel and the hammer, they are identical.

The modern .45 L.C. cases are more than ample to handle the higher pressures generated by the modern loads. If you check out the story about the development of the .454 Casull, you will see that Dick Casull started with .45 L.C. cases. The modern .45 L.C. loads are loaded to approx. 25,000 psi, well below the max. pressure of 36,000 psi for the .44 magnum.

Buy one, stay within the published limits and don't worry!

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the info.

Rabon,
Do you know what the length difference is between the SA and the DA models?

Well, I'm still up in the air on this one. If the made it with a 5.5" barrel, I would probably get this one:

but it only comes in the 7.5 inch. I guess, this still requires some thought. Ohh the agony of the decision!!

Does anyone have any idea, what it costs to have the barrel cut and recrowned to 5.5" with the front sight reinstalled?

Also, does anyone know where I can find John Linbaugh's website?

Also, for the people warning of over loading and safety, do you have any experience loading the 45 Colt in a Ruger to support?

[This message has been edited by Nathan (edited 10-30-2001).]

·
Registered
817 Posts
Also remember that with the shorter barrel you will lose some velocity. The longer barrel allowes more powder to burn. I have the Taurus Raging Bull in .44 mag with the 8 3/8 barrel I use for white tail hunting. I've still yet to bag anything, much less with the Bull.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Originally posted by Teal Blue:
FRED.FRED. You are about to start an adventure that can be very satisfing. Good for you.

The .45 Colt is a fine all around cartridge. ........................
Best of luck in the adventure. Teal Blue.
Thanks, Teal Blue. I already have a Bisley in .357 Magnum, but there's just something about owning a 45LC!

------------------
Regards,
AZFred

·
Registered
853 Posts
Originally posted by jpwright:
Am I missing something here? Why not just buy the gun chambered in .44 mag.?
Because, when you are transported back in time and have to face down the bad guys in the 1880s, you can still find ammo for your gun if it's a .45 LC. Gees, I thought it was obvious.
I hate to admit this JP but this makes sense to me. In fact I was thinking about this just the other day.

·
Registered
550 Posts
The Ruger in .45 Long Colt can be safely loaded to considerably more power than the .44 Magnum, and you can buy factory ammunition in the same category. Buffalo Bore offers a .45 Colt load for Rugers that launches a 325 grain gas checked LBT bullet at 1325 fps, which is far more powerful than the standard .44 Magnum. The same company offers a .44 load that gets close, though.

That .45 load is reported to penetrate all the way through a Cape Buffalo, breaking both shoulders. Ross Seyfried recommends it highly for big game.

It is also a handful to shoot.

I had to have a higher front sight installed to sight the load in, which limits the revolver's usefulness with light loads. But it is nice to have handy in case of pachyderms in the petunias.

You would not believe what it will do to a bowling pin!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Nathan you can go to www.sixgunner.com it will refer you to a great deal of information on large revolvers as well as Linebaugh Custom Revolvers and Bowen Classic Arms. By time you shorten the barrel on a Bisley you will have more in it than you would have in a Red Hawk with a 5.5 barrel, I prefer the Red Hawk for many reasons so handle them both before you decide. BTW the velocity loss in a 2 inch shorter barrel on the 45 Colt is quite minimal as it operates at fairly low pressures.
Have a nice day, Rabon...

·
Registered
126 Posts
I need one of those 45s for ELK!!!!! I'm tired of totin a -06 w/ a 3-9 scope and whacking elk within easy pistol range

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Originally posted by Dvcer:
I need one of those 45s for ELK!!!!! I'm tired of totin a -06 w/ a 3-9 scope and whacking elk within easy pistol range
Funny that is why I started toting a pistol. Now it is for the challenge. I have a 375 JDJ, but that is not legal and too much for OH!

1 - 20 of 52 Posts