1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I traded for a Ruger 1911 stainless 5" that had 20 rounds fired through it from a friend. He bought it for his son, but his son liked his Sig 226 better, so it has been in his safe since 2012. The Ruger trigger averaged 4lb 12oz and had a bit of grit before it broke. Took it apart put in a 19lb hammer spring, 16lb recoil spring and polished (not stoned) the internals. Now it has an extremely clean break at 3lb 2oz average and runs great. Very accurate too. Very nice 1911. I am pleased.

sr1911.JPG

·
Registered
23,158 Posts
Nice pistols. Have a 2012 in 45 and then got a 10mm when they came out.

I put new stocks on mine which I got off shopruger years ago. They seem to work with parts from other people like Wilson etc. if people want to go there.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice. I got rid of most of my 1911's a couple of years ago. I still have a Sig Ultra Compact 3" 9mm, a Texas Gold and Texas Silver 5" in 45 (both NIB) and now the Ruger. I mostly shoot 22 bolt rifles in several bench gun competitions so not shooting pistols much. Do have a Ruger SP101 357 that I love to shoot.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
A little more polishing and the trigger now breaks very crisp at 2lb 10oz average. Almost exactly where my Sig Ultra Compact 9 breaks. I think I am gonna like this one. It is much better IMHO, than the Springfield 1911's that I used to have.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have an SR1911 CMD, which I love, and a 5" Target version, which unfortunately I haven't had time to shoot yet. Finish is beautiful on both, and the triggers feel good.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have been kicking around the SR1911 CMD myself. It is tempting.

·
Premium Member
8,281 Posts
I am not a Commander length gun kinda guy. But a new Ruger CMD beckoned to me. Never regretted it. The only negative QC issue I found was actually a very basic check I didn’t do for whatever reason. Found it looking for what seemed to be disproportionate recoil. The recoil spring was coil binding at full recoil. Clipping a coil and a half rectified that issue and the recoil was more appropriate.

Here is the link to my writeup on it if you want more info on the CMD.
https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=679121

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They are way over-sprung anyway. Usually the first thing I do is change springs. Makes them much more manageable.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I ran 50 flawless rounds through it this morning. Very pleased.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Glad you are enjoying your pistol. I have one I bought back about the same time yours was made. When I first got it I would randomly get hit in the head with spent cases. I did a little research & learned to tune the extractor & it has worked well ever since. If I am having a bad day shooting I can pull it out & it makes me look like I know how to shoot.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
are the small controls SS or are they carbon steel

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Carbon maybe.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
8,281 Posts
they are carbon steel..

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thought so, but wasn't sure.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Put the Truglo TFO night sights on this evening. Nice.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
108 Posts
Glad you are enjoying your pistol. I have one I bought back about the same time yours was made. When I first got it I would randomly get hit in the head with spent cases. I did a little research & learned to tune the extractor & it has worked well ever since. If I am having a bad day shooting I can pull it out & it makes me look like I know how to shoot.
Do you have a link for tuning the extractor? I was shooting mine yesterday and a hot casing planted itself on my head!

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
482 Posts
Do you have a link for tuning the extractor? I was shooting mine yesterday and a hot casing planted itself on my head!

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
I didn't fit mine. I just adjusted the tension. I did a quick search but I don't think I can find the link I used back then. I will look again.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
G10 grips now

sr1911.JPG

1 - 20 of 20 Posts