1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've decided to get either the 45 LC/ACP or the 357/9mm convertible, and I'm trying to find whether the 357 convertible will also shoot 38special and +P. I assume it would, but haven't seen it mentioned anywhere. Right or wrong?

Also, does it seem a bit weird to anyone else to send a 9mm bullet down a 357 barrel? I would think accuracy would stink.

·
Banned
294 Posts
The .357 Blackhawk convertable will INDEED shoot 9mm...that's what makes it a "convertable!"

The difference in diameter between the .357 Magnum and the 9mm is .001".

The .9mm = .356"
.357 = .357"
.38 Spl = .358" (lead slugs)

The 9mm MIGHT suffer a SLIGHT decrease in accuracy over the .357 Mag...but you can always HANDLOAD with .357" slugs!

If you're just concerned with busting off as many 9mm "milspec" inexpensive plinking ammo as possible, then you have no worries. Accuracy will be as good as YOU can hold.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Buy the 357/9mm convertible. I bought one for my wife a few years ago and we both love it! We have shot everything we can get our hands on in this pistol, light cowboy action loaded 38's, cheap surplus 9mm, thermo nuclear level 357's and everything in between.
It is the one gun in the stable that I could shoot all day.

Michael

·
Registered
23,179 Posts
I have ones in 357/9mm and 45LC/45ACP. They are massive fun. I changed out the grips on the 357/9mm so I could tell them apart easily.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Buy the 357/9mm convertible. I bought one for my wife a few years ago and we both love it! We have shot everything we can get our hands on in this pistol, light cowboy action loaded 38's, cheap surplus 9mm, thermo nuclear level 357's and everything in between.
It is the one gun in the stable that I could shoot all day.

Michael
Cool. Thanks!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Just a word of warning - the 9mm version can only safely shoot jacketed bullets, as per Ruger, in the owners manual. The use of cast 9mm bullets it not recommended in the convertable 9mm cyclinder.

Id get the 45LC/45ACP version if it were me. As long as its not a flatop version - that set up will be highly versitle!

The 45 Colt in Ruger Blackhawks, have their own load data in my reloading manuals, that will safely hotrod the 45colt, well beyond the 357 mag, and pushing it closer to 44 magnum territory. In fact many of the 45 colt Ruger loads, score a higher Taylor Knockout rating then the 44Mag, with less recoil!

Of course you can shoot standard cowboy loads, powder puffloads, or even the 45 colt defense loads that is prevalent on the market.

There 45ACP cylinder, can also fire the 45ACP+P all day long as well as some heavier loadings, that would not be ideal for a semiauto.

Here is an intresting article on some 45ACP loads for the Blackhawks:

http://www.handloads.com/articles/default.asp?id=41

I bought a Stainless Blackhawk Bisley 45colt/ 45acp convertable a few years back, its one of my favorite guns to load for, and shoot. Does a number on whitetails too!

Attachments

·
Registered
218 Posts
My experience is that a longer barrel (within reason) are easier to aim, and seem to be more accurate... at least in my hands. Its sorta like compairing a 1911 Gov to a commander in some cases. You would think that little difference in barrel wouldnt make a difference, but again in my hands they do.

I guess the real question is what do you plan on using the gun for? If you are hunting with it (or plan to) make sure you check your local hunting regs. Some states (such as my own state) have a minimum barrel length as well as an muzzle energy requirement. Some may even have a min caliber size.

Of course, you can always buy another one if you want a different barrel length or caliber. Once the Ruger single action bug bites you, you'll want to add a big or little brother to it!

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
If you were going to use it a range plinker, would you go with the longer barrel?
I always prefer a long barrel at the range, but shorter barrels are sure handy. I really like my 4.6" bbl. .357/9mm Convertible as it really could be the ultimate bug-out gun. For my .45, my preference is 5.5" but only because that's my favorite barrel length.

·
Registered
23,179 Posts
I picked up a Bisley in 45LC/45ACP several years ago. Another very nice option if you see one.

One thing I might mention is I picked up a Lipsey flat top convertible in 45LC/45ACP. Nice little pistol.

But built on Ruger's smaller frame so you can't shoot Ruger / TC Contender only loads in these. And for a graphic I have a comparison of the cylinder from this guy and one from an older, heavier Vaquero. It is really obvious in 45LC. The cylinder is also a little shorter than the older ones.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I always prefer a long barrel at the range, but shorter barrels are sure handy. I really like my 4.6" bbl. .357/9mm Convertible as it really could be the ultimate bug-out gun. For my .45, my preference is 5.5" but only because that's my favorite barrel length.
Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
I'm a Ruger man.
3,969 Posts
I have a 357/9mm convertible Blackhawk (4-5/8").
It's a fine shooter.

While the 9mm cylinder does indeed work, I've noticed
that the cartridge fit is pretty sloppy. Rounds rattle in the holes.

Probably rattle down the barrel when fires too.
Ok for a plinker, but not something I'd use regularly.

BUT - on the other hand....

Using a 125 grain .357 bullet in a 9mm case - that one thousandth interference
sure works well in the Range Officer ! (Xtreme plated bullets)
Bet they would work better in the Ruger as well.

Haven't chronoed them yet, but very pleased with the ACCURACY!

·
Registered
867 Posts
I have an old 'three screw' .45 LC/ACP Ruger. Great gun. (Extra ACP cylinder not shown)

·
Registered
867 Posts
^^^ That is a beautiful revolver... I love the blued steel and walnut look. :)

It was the first and last gun grips that I made, and I liked it. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts