1911Forum banner

Ruger Custom shop

12K views 40 replies 24 participants last post by  mr.paul 
#1 ·
Just got an email from Ruger stating they will have a Custom Shop. Should be some interesting offerings coming from them.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
The MSRP on that pistol is $2499.00. Unless dealers sell it for substantially below that, it will likely struggle in the market. From the pictures, it appears this model uses the standard mim grip and thumb safeties, and the grip safety looks to have been dropped in. Though this model includes high grade trigger components, front strap checkering, and a mag well, I don’t understand how it retails for more than double a SR target model.

At $2500, one could easily buy a Les Bear or Dan Wesson and almost an Ed Brown.

#8 ·
In addition to being overpriced for the features, I wonder how many people will be willing to spend that kind of money for the Ruger brand. Ruger is well known for its affordable firearms and is commonly referred to as a working man’s gun. $2000+ is a lot to pay for a pistol from a lower cost manufacture. Here is an analogy: Honda makes excellent cars but how many people would pay $60,000 for a super nice one?

#15 ·
Same.

I fondled one on Saturday at the Ruger New Hampshire IDPA championship match. The Ruger rep told me the average shop price will be around $1,800. It felt and looked great. Trigger was decent - prob 4ish pounds.

My Dan Wesson PM9 cost me like $1300ish back in 2015, no way in hell I'd spend $500 more for a Ruger. Granted the PM9 doesn't come with a magwell but that is short money.

And does anyone know if this is a cast frame like the rest of their 1911's?? I don't know how they think they can justify that price with a cast frame. Hell even if it was forged, I still wouldn't pay $1,800.

If they don't drop the price, they're really going to struggle selling these.

#17 ·
I am a Ruger fan but not a blind follower. That gun needs work even in the $1800 class. Some good work but that is offset by the standard production characteristics carried over to it. I wonder if these guns will have flats cut on the thumb safety and slide stop pins? I am still trying to wrap my head around that. I understand...fitting but really...

#18 ·
Didn't know Doug Koenig left S&W for Ruger!

His "DK" Custom and Por Series Smiths are awesome!

People who buy Rugers will buy the DK Custom Ruger too! Otherwise Ruger's Marketing gurus wouldn't bring them to market. (Bottom line driven marketing planning!)

#19 ·
I handled one of these at the local gun store today. The trigger was amazing and had to be in the 3 lb range; nicer than my Dan Wesson PM9. The frame and grip safety controls were typical Ruger though. The fit of those parts were what turned me off on a pistol stickered at $2400.

#20 ·
That type of fitting on a $2400 pistol is an abomination! An abomination! LOL...I hope they get it right. How was the slide/frame and barrel fit on the handled specimens?

#22 ·
I think this pistol may find a slot in the market. Today's customs are running in almost $4,000 class. Les Baer still has a few a tad under $3,000 but not most. The least expensive is $3,000 plus and if you ask for anything on them the cost ballons real fast to $3500 +. Add taxes and you are paying a lot. So a semi custom at that price is not bad and Ruger makes one tough pistol. Discount it a bit and it is in like flyn.

#34 ·
I think this pistol may find a slot in the market. Today's customs are running in almost $4,000 class. Les Baer still has a few a tad under $3,000 but not most. The least expensive is $3,000 plus and if you ask for anything on them the cost balloons real fast to $3500 +. Add taxes and you are paying a lot. So a semi custom at that price is not bad and Ruger makes one tough pistol. Discount it a bit and it is in like flynn.
1911 Heaven has 5 brand new Baers listed under $2k, and another 5 just over that mark on their site right now, and the most expensive one is $2900.https://cj1911heaven.com/LesBaerInventory.html

I ordered a new Hemi from CJ less than a year ago spec'd the way I wanted it and it was $2325. With prices like that on new Baers, why even consider a $2500 Ruger? Hell, my new $800 Colt Competition is better fit than that thing. I have nothing against Ruger, I own several including a new .308 Precision Rifle I bought last month, but I only paid $799 for it.

Ruger needs to stick with what they do best - solid quality, no frills guns at reasonable price points.

#23 ·
That is from the Brown, Wilson, Baer, Nighthawk, etc shops. Go to a world class custom builder and you are looking at $6500 and up for a full house custom.

#26 ·
It is cast. Same castings blanks Caspian uses for their frame.

#29 · (Edited)
I would like to handle one and take a good look at things in person. Also since they are advertising this as an out of the box, ready for competition piece what kind of ccuracy they are advertising.

I had all this “ready for competition” bluster on my SA, SS, 9mm RO and can tell you that if you were intent on just blowing some rounds downrange and losing it was the gun for that, a couple of trips back to SA, one to SACs and some additional work by me and the gun is decent enough (could have bought a DW PM9 for less). The point here being is the Ruger actually good enough to compete or just marketing bluster.

As a side note I have multiple Rugers and they all just run and run well, no complaints and all are really more accurate than the shooter but all combined I don’t have $2500 in the lot. My .02

One thing i’ll add is that this kinda reminds me of my Sig STX that I bought from their pro shop with the Sig Custom Shop label on it and claimed hand fitting as well as Premium materials (whatever that means) the Sig is a very nice well fitted piece, way more accurate than I am. Great gun ! And only $1000 OTD. I’ll also add in my p210 target that’s also supposedly been through the Sig custom shop, very fine gun and probably the smoothest action i’ve Experienced (including my ed Brown 9mm executive) short of a ACW/Cabot, all in at $1300 OTD. Ruger’s got their work cut out for them, I hope in a year we’ll all be standing in line to get one but....Again just my .02

#33 ·
I would like to handle one and take a good look at things in person. Also since they are advertising this as an out of the box, ready for competition piece what kind of accuracy they are advertising.
Thats a beef I have with anything Ruger that's advertised as a Precision, or Target anything. They have no accuracy guarantee. Too often I and others have been let down by the lack of accuracy and Ruger just takes the position it meets their standards. A $500.00 gun Im willing to take a chance, $1,800.00 +...no way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.