1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
I purchased a LCR 38/357 hammerless model earlier this year. There are good and not so good points as perceived by me. I will list them as follows

1. First the 38/357 combo is very light, just a tad over 17 ounces. The 38 + P weigh is about 14 ounces. This is advantageous for conceal carry but not so much for recoil comfort. The reasons for my purchase of the combo was for the extra weight and to be more compatible ammo wise with my GP100.

2. The fit and feel of the action is a little loosey goosey but is normal for this model. In my research, no one does any type of action work or any shimming to tighten it up. One reputable company offered action tune ups but found the cost prohibited for most customers and it tended to effect reliability issues.

3. The sights are pretty darn good, absolutely no reason to change them out except maybe for front night sights if you wish. Otherwise, very good.

4. The cylinder release button is very stiff, prohibitely so in my purchase. I had to work the crap out of it to become somewhat easier. Generally, this seems to be normal for the model type.

5. Although some people do not mind shooting 357’s out of them, I never tried for two reasons: recoil and that 357’s lose their effective value in a short barreled handgun.

My preferred round is a 147 grain 38 plus P ammo for protection purposes. I actually like the recoil handling of the plus P ammo more than the normal 38 specials. Shooting the 38 specials bothered my shooting index finger for some reason. Over-all recoil is manageable but not conducive to long range sessions.

6. Now, the best part. I suffer from nerve damage to my shooting hand and was attractive to the cam style action. I have to say, the action, hands down, is the easiest action in a DAO revolver that I ever tried. It outshines even S &W by a far margin. It is a little long but you will never regret purchasing for this reason. Very satisfied.

7. In summary, it is designed to be a short range, reliable, accurate light handgun with an excellent trigger. The simple operation allows anyone to use it with minimum training. It’s a grab, point, and shoot weapon. For this purpose it is an excellent purchase. A range gun, it is not. An easy shooting caliber…. not really but it is equal to, if not a bit better, similar pistols in this category.

There is more information in this site. Just search under LCR. Good luck!

·
Registered
18 Posts
The review by Michael 61 is excellent and I agree totally .... except for the following....
My school of thought is " if a little is good a lot is better" so set a 38+P cartridge next to a 357 mag!
Recoil in a "self defense situation" just isn't a factor!! ALL calibers lose some effectiveness in a short barrel. ( See little and lot above) This applies, I believe, except for the additional (lot) of additional money required for other, like S&W , brands.
I carry my LCR in 357mag in the front pocket of my daily wear cargo pants. UNDETECTABLE and very easily accessible! Shooting it from inside the pocket is NO problem. Dryfired only to date. Granted it is 5 rounds but the additional noise fromthe magnum rounds have to be worth a round or two!

NMBUZZ

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
I have been carrying an LCR in 38 spl for a few years now.
It is often in my right front pocket as either my sole gun or a bug.
It is not a comfortable gun to shoot with 38+P, it's not even comfy with 142g semi wadcutters. It isn't meant to be.
I practice enough with it to be fairly certain of 1st and 2nd round hits out to 15 yards or so. That actually eats quite a bit of range time and ammo. Snubby guns take practice, I have a pile of the things, the LCR, a couple of model 60s and a DS, even a 3" GP-100. They all need lots of practice to maintain proficiency.

And no, a noisy miss is not worth a damn as a deterrent. You need to learn to both get first round hits and good recovery for that often necessary 2nd round hit. Shoot your 357 at night and try and manage a 2nd round hit when the flash has blinded you.

·
Banned
725 Posts
Here,s a plus I haven't heard any body mention: the gun is light enough that I carry it in a IWB holster when wearing nothing but underwear around the house.

·
Registered
567 Posts
It is pretty snappy in the hand, but I like the grips. They absorb a lot of the recoil.

·
Registered
565 Posts
The review by Michael 61 is excellent and I agree totally .... except for the following....
My school of thought is " if a little is good a lot is better" so set a 38+P cartridge next to a 357 mag!
Recoil in a "self defense situation" just isn't a factor!! ALL calibers lose some effectiveness in a short barrel. ( See little and lot above) This applies, I believe, except for the additional (lot) of additional money required for other, like S&W , brands.
I carry my LCR in 357mag in the front pocket of my daily wear cargo pants. UNDETECTABLE and very easily accessible! Shooting it from inside the pocket is NO problem. Dryfired only to date. Granted it is 5 rounds but the additional noise fromthe magnum rounds have to be worth a round or two!

NMBUZZ
I am sorry but I must disagree on this point.

There is not enough muzzle velocity difference between a 38 + P and a 357 mag in a two inch barrel to warrant a harsher recoil affecting follow up shots and the added blinding flash. Also, any noise in a contained room could be exponentially debilitating to both the shooter as well as the other person.

Like I said previously, it is a personal opinion coupled with some past experiences.

·
Registered
9,038 Posts
Here,s a plus I haven't heard any body mention: the gun is light enough that I carry it in a IWB holster when wearing nothing but underwear around the house.
I'm not sure I want to know where you carry your knife dressed like that...

·
Registered
13,181 Posts
My wife wears nothing but lace panties, high heels, & a gun tucked in the top of her thigh-high stockings.

Is that a better picture for you guys?

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Had my first exposure to the .22 LCR yesterday. I AM a dyed in the Wool S&W and Colt guy. So not a big Ruger fan anyway. I like their SAA design and the SP101's, but the rest of their line leaves me cold.

I was assisting with a Women's CCW Class at the local Range. The Gal who had the LCR could not open the cylinder. I had issues as well. Tried some lube and working it up and down a hundred times or so....still too tough for her.

Trigger pull was almost too tough for her as well. I would LOVE to know the actual poundage reqd to trip the trigger.

If the LCR cost $150 I still wouldn't own one. Sorry Ruger fans....

·
Registered
416 Posts
I have and carry the S&W 642 PC. The only reason is because it is a little slimmer and easier for me to carry. Otherwise it would be the LCR. I shot the LCR I had very well and preferred the trigger over the Smith even though the Smith had a factory trigger job. I shoot the Smith fine too so I went with what was easiest to carry.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Maybe the one I handled and shot was built on a Friday , by a disgruntled employee on his last day? But the trigger was HORRIBLE.

I need to handle another LCR one of these days for a comparison.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
My wife is not an avid shooter, but decided she wanted the Ruger LCR .22 (yes, I know thread is about 38/357). So far, this past week, she shot 300 rounds. And has done very well for a new shooter at 7 yards. The gun is light with a longer but very predictable trigger pull - I like it. It's light - so far has always gone bang, and she now routinely hits inside a "clay pigeon" and groups well. Cleaned and lubed and no problems with cylinder release and after 300 rounds no cylinder mark/ring. She pleased, shooting regular and on her own - I'm pleased!

·
Registered
565 Posts
Had my first exposure to the .22 LCR yesterday. I AM a dyed in the Wool S&W and Colt guy. So not a big Ruger fan anyway. I like their SAA design and the SP101's, but the rest of their line leaves me cold.

I was assisting with a Women's CCW Class at the local Range. The Gal who had the LCR could not open the cylinder. I had issues as well. Tried some lube and working it up and down a hundred times or so....still too tough for her.

Trigger pull was almost too tough for her as well. I would LOVE to know the actual poundage reqd to trip the trigger.

If the LCR cost $150 I still wouldn't own one. Sorry Ruger fans....
That’s about what I heard from most other owners of the LCR 22 regarding the trigger pull. One reported the pull at 17 lbs. and stated that Ruger reported it was within specs. The cylinder release button is about what my experience was with the 38/357 model. I had to really work the crap out of it for some time. It still is not ideal but it is better.

All I can say is the 38/357, and from what I heard the 38 plus P model and the 9mm has a much...much better trigger pull. Try one at your local gun shop.

If recoil is one of the main concerns and I can see why it would be, try the 9mm. I have heard good reports on it but do not have direct experience. I am afraid that the cylinder release button may be an inherit problem with this model, although some are easier than others.

There is one person on this thread that conveyed his 22 caliber trigger pull was pretty good but from my research that not the norm on that model. Maybe it’s the luck of the draw.

I am sorry this particular choice was so dismal for the lady. I still do stand by the 38/357 as a good revolver for the purpose it was designed for.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
357 magnum in a snub nose sounds good on paper. But in reality after shooting a few cylinders full with no hearing protection, it is a terrible idea. Even outside in the country shooting it I was messed up by the muzzle blast and concussion. There is no way I could fire off a full cylinder at an assailant without being affected by the blast and noise. Now factor in being in an enclosed area. Hell no.

45 acp I can comfortably tolerate. 357 mag out of a snubby is down right painful.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts