1911Forum banner

Ruger MKII problems,hope you can help

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  FEATHERSTONE.45 
#1 ·
Today I went to shoot my MKII and had about 150 rounds fired,I loaded some remington viper rounds and fired a couple,One of the rounds had lodged in the barrel and didnt fire,I pulled the live round out and loaded another this time when I pulled the trigger I had no trigger pull.

I then pulled the mag and unchamberd the round and tried the trigger again,nothing,no trigger break nothing,It was alomost like I had never pulled the bolt back.
I went to take it apart and it was locked up like fort knox,I had to tap the the ball on the main spring housing to get it apart,actually had to hit it hard to get it apart ,once I did this and free'd the mainspring housing I put it back together and it would then work when I pulled the bolt back and pulled the trigger.
It looks like there is 2 chips in the main spring housing at the handle latch in the main spring housing.The chips are in a v shape,and when I tried to dis assemble it this piece did not want to budge,when I tried to pull it out it was trying to pull back in.

Does anyone know how this could have happend?

I sure could use your help so I could avoid this problem again.

P.S The 150 rounds I had fired were Federal hp bulk pack if this helps with anything.

Also the main spring housing latch will not close all the way while in the gun,when I have it pulled from the gun it will close.
Thank you in advance.

See less See more
#3 ·
I had this happen to a Ruger MK II. There is a pin that runs from the mag release through the frame and holds the hammer in place. On the right side of the frame just above the grip you can see where the pin meets the frame again. The pin worked out a bit, allowing the hammer to slip, locking the whole thing up. I took it apart the same way you did, which was not pretty or in the long term best interests of the pistol. The 3rd time it happened I sent it to the factory (good service there, in my experience) and it came back OK. Maybe yours is suffering from the same problem.

#4 ·
One thing I do remember is that the grips were loose,once I tightend them I was able to get the gun apart,I wonder if when I tightend the grips it might have put the pin in place and made things more forgiving,I cleaned it and put it back together and it will dry fire with no problem,Also when I shot some of those rounds they seem to have alot of smoke that would seem like there was unburnt powder burning after I shot.This happend with cci zapper's so I switched to the Remington and this happend,but when I shot the Federal HP bulk pack before the Remington it ran fine.

I think I will just use the Federal ammo to run in my MKII and see what happens.

Maybe your right about that pin and the reason it came loose was that the grips were loose hmmmm,thanks for bringing that up you might have solved the problem.

Just have to get back to the range and shoot it some more,and find out.

#5 ·
I never had a problem with my MK II over thousands of rounds shooting standard Remington or CCI Blazer ammo. I tried some Velocitor "hot" loads on night for knocking over bowling pins and it started jamming severely and several times the cases would not extract. I noticed a filthy crud build up in the barrel throat when I cleaned it afterwards. I think the "hot load" .22 ammo is not good in Mk II's.

BTW: I'll bet you Ruger will send you anew manspring assy for free if you call them. The bolt stop pin in mine was getting bent and they sent me the whole replacement assembly no questions asked.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.