1911Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. While I am waiting for my lil firearms ammendment to go through the bureaucracy, I had a few questions I thought I'd pose to most of you guru's...

The only reason I chose the Ruger was because of the overall positve reviews and its ability to "eat basically whatever ammo I fed it".

I thought trying to decipher which firearm I desired was bad. Holsters, ammo.... talk about mind-boggling. Though I have the holster figured out (Alessi)....

I am looking to buy "quality ammo". I plan on avoiding brands that have known problems, on occasion, ie. Wolf, etc. I like to follow the policy, "if I won't drink their water, I won't shoot their ammo".

For defensive purposes I was told that something along the lines of a Fed. Hydra-shocks are the best bet, your feelings on a defensive round for 9mm?

Which round would you recommend for range/target work? I realize that it is smart to obviously test out your defensive rounds before carrying them, but in general, for every day plinking what would you recommend?

BTW. The only reason I did not get a 1911, which I am still droooling over is finances. This gun is basically just going to be a carry/range gun and the price was right (not to mention the cost of ammo compared to .45's). But do not fret.. lol. I am still going to save up for my Wilson (decided to get this to "satiate me" till I can get a quality 1911 vs "trash").

·
Registered
331 Posts
My wife uses a P-89 and really likes it.
She uses the standard 115gr FMJ for practice.
Just about any brand will do, UMC, American Eagle, PMC. For Defensive rounds, she likes the Federal Hydra-shock 124gr JHP. A good friend also carries the P-89 and he prefers
a +P rated JHP for defence. The Ruger is rated to handle +p and if that's what you want, by all means use it.

------------------
Three Blocks Long and Two Lanes Wide...

·
Registered
155 Posts
I`ll have to second the Hydra-Shock as Buickguy stated. That particular round has proven to be the most accurate in my P-89 thus far. Except the American Eagle brand of ammo my P-89 has digested everything I tried to feed it.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I practice with UMC "yellow box" FMJs, and if I am going to carry the 9mm, I load it with Winchester Silvertips. Those choices are based on the fact that my gun likes those two loads, rather than really extensive testing. Other choices are probably at least as good.

(I think it's just my gun being contrary, but S&B in my 9mm is probably just barely better than a table leg, it's so erratic.)

------------------
If God didn't want us to own guns, why did He make the 1911?

·
Registered
674 Posts
Merlin take a look at the thread Which 9mm ammo? in the General Firearms section.

Oops! Actually this is in ammo can. Sorry.

It was back a month or so ago. I just went through the same decision process on my Walther. Lots of good info on the various 9mm rounds there.

For now I am practicing with UMC yellow box and carrying 124gr +P Golden Sabers from Remington.

The Federals are good defense rounds. The 135gr Personal Defense round was recommended to me by JimH who moderates here and trains a lot of LEOs and military so if you are thinking Federal that would be a good choice.

[This message has been edited by WaltherP99man (edited 10-16-2001).]

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks ya'll. I will give em a shot, whenever my ammendment comes through. For now, I have, as any "anxious father" :p, spent my time re-doing my range bag and making up some more target holders. LOL.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Any ammo is good for the p89! The hydro-shocks are nice! pricey tho! Love the 16 shot capacity of this gun! never Jam's!! And doesn't require hearing protection either!

·
Administrator
13,246 Posts
It should handle any brass case factory spec ammo . Over the years I've seen several that had extraction problems with steel case ammo . The fired case would be left in the chamber causing a feed jam .

This is not a slam on steel case ammo , just reporting from my experience as a retailer .

·
Registered
3 Posts
May I also add that the Ruger p89 was the first pistol I ever bought! Great starter handgun! Never let me down! Can't go wrong with an American made gun with 16 rounds of 9mm Parabellum

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
The Hydra-Shock is not a bad round and has been around a long time. But Federal has come out with the newer Federal HST which I believe is a better self defense round. The HST comes in 124 and 147 grain in both standard pressure and +P pressure.

The Federal HST is my first choice in 9mm and 45acp for self defense followed by Speer Gold Dot. Winchester Ranger T-Series is another good choice in my mind.

·
Registered
132 Posts
My wife carries a P-95 and uses WWB for range ammo. Her carry choice is Hornady Critical Defense.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts