1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just a heads up for anyone who is contemplating buying one of these. I bought one last week and it has a problem if you have larger hands. It comes standard with the round butt wooden grips which are rather small, and Ruger Customer Service has told me that they do not have rubber grips that will fit this model.

Tyler T-Grips website says they have a model (size eight) for Ruger Redhawks, and this seems to be my only recourse. I will order today and hope the front strap contours are close enough to the square butt to work with the T-Grip.

It is a great gun, though, and I would rather have it as is than to not have it.

It is nice to be able to use the easy to find .45 ACP economy rounds for range time, and it shot well with Winchester White Box 230 gr solids. The LGS gave me a box of 50 light-loaded .45 Colt rounds, and I also bought a box of Buffalo Bore 255 gr. Keith-type rounds, of which I shot six and kept the rest for woods carry. It shot considerably high out of the box at 25 yards with all rounds, but the sights are adjustable so that is moot.

It has one peculiarity that I have never encountered before. It has a nice DA trigger, but just before the sear breaks, you can feel a definite "clunk" in the trigger as the cylinder locks. It is possible in slow, deliberate fire to stop your stroke just after you feel the cylinder lock, and then have a light trigger break. You cannot feel it at all when using a normal, quick pull. I don't know enough about revolvers to know if this is a problem or an asset.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
I have one in 45 Colt.
I have never noticed the clunk but then again, when firing double action, I try to achieve one steady pull of the trigger with no hesitation.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
The Tyler T-Grip does fit.
The round-butt gripframe is nice, but not conducive to happiness with the heavy-hitters up in Buffalo Bore territory.

The clunk you feel in the trigger is common to the Redhawk, some shooters like it because it facilitates staging the trigger.

Trigger pulls on this model are heavy, and it may take some time to find an ACP load that shoots well in it.
Denis

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
205 Posts
That's weird. Even when I click on the link in your reply I get an Amazon page entitled "Hogue Ruger Redhawk Rubber Bantam Grip."

You can use those words to search Amazon and that should get it.

I don't know much about Redhawks or their grips, but am interested. I've used a Super Blackhawk for several decades in Alaska. I am getting old, and less brave I suppose. I had a neighbor who was mauled by a Brownie, after one close-range shot with an -06. He had either a 29 or a Redhawk (I forget) and got off all 6 shots into her as she rolled him around. She scalped him, and messed him up pretty bad, but he made it. She didn't, though she did make it nearly 4 miles! I'm pretty certain that if that had been me with my Blackhawk it would have been the other way around, just because of action complexity.

Hopefully we'll never know. But your post caught my eye, and I'm always looking for an excuse for another gun. Not sure I can bench the Blackhawk though!

·
Administrator
13,278 Posts
Hogue Bantam grip shows up in the link for me as well .

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
The new convertible Red has a round gripframe.
Other grips for standard Redhawk square frames CAN fit, but don't follow the backstrap contour.

Down at the bottom rear, the steel curves inward & leaves a hollow space inside the corresponding area of the grip.

Denis

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I get the Bantam grips today as well in the link. Yesterday I tried it three times and an Uncle mike's holster came up every time.

I've got E-mail replies from both Ruger and Hogue that their Redhawk grips won't fit on the new .45 Colt/.45 ACP convertible.

I have wondered about getting the standard Redhawk grips and trying to fill the gap with something. For now I am just going to order the T-grip.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
There's "fit" and there's "fit".
Probably most (but definitely some) square-butt grips will physically bolt on, which means they WILL fit, they just won't fit correctly.

I put a set of Hogue woodies on a sample here during testing when I had to shut down in the middle of heavy Buffalo Bore trials.
Physically, bolted on just fine, and held up just fine through the rest of the testing, but did leave that open gap at the bottom.

It would be possible to modify that area by whittling or grinding excess wood off to match the frame, if you wanted.

On another forum an owner cut a stock Ruger Redhawk rubber grip down, with mixed results.

If this model takes off, I'd expect somebody to develop a larger grip for it.
If not, we just don't run hot sauce through it. :)

If you want to spend a whole three bucks, there's a Kindle book on Amazon.com you can buy to read up on it, includes the T-Grip, the Hogue grip, and photos, along with accuracy & energy charts.
Denis

1 - 11 of 11 Posts