1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up an old Marlin 444 lever action and a old 410 bolt-action shotgun today at a local gun store, They had a nice used stainless Ruger Security-Six 357 mag with a six inch barrel for $399. How do you guys like them compared to the GP100 & the SP101 in 357mag? If they still have it in a couple of days I think I'll pick it up and give it a shot.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I have no experience with shooting or owning one but I can tell you that I much prefer the looks of the Security Six/Speed Six over the GP & SP.

·
Registered
8,190 Posts
A Security Six would be my first choice of the three you mentioned. Great guns! Of the SSs I've had I had one that was a blued 6 inch and it was a fine shooter. The 4" were great shooters as well, but the 6" was just a nicely balanced, easy to shoot gun.

I think of the Security Six as sort of K-Frame like sized gun you can actually shoot plenty of magnums out of in any bullet weight that will fit in the OAL of the chambers.

When I do see SSs around they are almost always 4" and blue. A 6" in stainless I haven't seen in the wild in at least a decade. Not saying they haven't been out there. Just that I haven't seen them in my regular roaming which I used to do a lot.

If you can pick it up do it! I doubt you will be disappointed.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I see then at the gun show but are 95% of the time 4 inch and blue, I prefer stainless. I'll have the extra money in a couple of day and if they still have it I'll pick it up. I like the revolvers better then the autos and have been buying mostly revolvers.

·
Registered
828 Posts
The Security-Six is a great revolver. IMHO the GP100 is just to bulky. The SP101 is a great revolver as well, but not quite large enough to fit the service revolver catagory. The SP101 makes a great CCW piece.
The -Six line (Security, Service, Speed) are probably the best all around revolvers ever made.
More durable than K frames & Colts.
Less bulky than L & N frames & GP100s.
Don't get me wrong, I love my S&Ws and Colts too.
This is all my opinion, so take it for whatever its worth, and it's worth exactly what you paid for it. ;)

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Ruger has always built a good, serviceable weapon. I had a security 6 a few years back, 4 inch stainless, got it on a trade and then traded it off. Probably should have kept it. Rugers are usually great shooters for an attractive price, whats not to like. Been thinking about a new model Blackhawk in 45Colt.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Great, durable, inexpensive pistols.

Wood grips...

Swapped to Hogue rubber grips, HUGE improvement in accuracy! The wood grips were too small for me.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I had a blued model, (wish I still hd it) they are great revolvers. Swapped out the stock wood grips for some Houge, accurate and very reliable. I think $399 is a good price.
Mike

·
Premium Member
11,664 Posts
Great guns! Anyone that tells you that you cannot get a great trigger job equal to or better than an S&W is misinformed.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I went back the next morning and they sold it shortly after I left the day before. They'll be another one down the line. But I did pick up an old J.C.Higgins 103.18, 22 caliber single-shot with the plunger. Really decent shape. $119. I'm a sucker for old vintage 22 rifles, 410 shotguns and stainless revolvers.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
So do you see the trend??? "oh yeah---------------I had one, but I sold it. Wish I had it back".

Add me to that list. Got a LN blue 4" Security Six, and my buddy wanted it----------sold. Bought the same in SS-------------saw something I liked better-----sold. Wish I had either one of them back.

But I got a chance to buy a LNIB GP100 blue 6" (DOB 2005) for a great price. Had it for two years now and love it. Bulls eye shooting only, and it's scary straight. Left the factory rubber with wood insert grips on it.

Your choice on type, size and finish, but you'll never regret owning the Ruger line of revolvers.

IMO, Ruger customer service is second to none.

And yeah, when it comes to Ruger revolvers, if you see it....buy it b4 it's gone!

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Rugers are fine guns, I could kick myself in my ass for not jumping allover that Secuity-Six. I want to get the SP101 in 9mm, I might be able to get one from a friend that works at a LGS. He's debating on selling it, If this one doesn't work out I'll find one some where, some day.

A S&W 940 stainless in 9mm is in the cards as well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts