1911Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Are you still planning on making a list of changes that need to be made? How do you think this weapon would hold up to duty use?

Thanks so much for you awesome report and spending your time doing it!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Sr1911

Thank you Mr. Chambers. Funny how the Universe works, was wondering what a gunsmith would do to a box stock production gun, like the SR1911 and wham, you and this forum hit it out of the park. Thank you

·
Registered
640 Posts
Thanks for all the good reporting, Joe. I can't believe that I don't have to pay for this stuff.:)

·
Registered
299 Posts
Joe C,

How would you say that this gun's manufacture, fit and finish compare to a Springfield Loaded?

Just curious, because the specs seem pretty similar.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
First of all, thank you guys for your responses. I am glad that you have enjoyed what was written and I am glad it may help some of you.

Are you still planning on making a list of changes that need to be made? How do you think this weapon would hold up to duty use?...
I will post the list of changes made after I make them and shoot the gun again. I think it would probably be just as serviceable as other guns in it's class if the proper adjustments were made, but that's just my opinion.

Joe C,

How would you say that this gun's manufacture, fit and finish compare to a Springfield Loaded?

Just curious, because the specs seem pretty similar.
Spammy_H, I may at some point do this kind of evaluation to other makers stock guns. Until then I will leave the compare and contrast to specific brands can of worms alone. ;) What I will say is that I personally would not feel short changed by owning this Ruger.

Respectfully,

·
Registered
92 Posts
Thank you sir for your review, it pushed me over the edge to make this purchase. It has been one of the most well written and well thought out reviews i have ever read.

Also just a question, 1 out 10 what would you rate this gun for its price category?

And one last thing im looking froward to seeing what you are going to do to this firearm to make it better.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Joe, thank you for all the time and effort you put into this review! I caught the first half on 1911Pro, and was pleased to see more added when I stumbled upon it here today.

I own and have owned 1911's, but the Ruger will be my first brand new 1911! I placed an order on the 15th even before seeing your reviews. After reading the reviews, I feel even happier about the SR1911 being my first brand new one. Cant wait to get it!

Thanks again Joe

·
Registered
285 Posts
Nice review.

I do have one question.
After reading your measurements about the sights, do this mean that sights with a "standard" Novak cut WILL NOT fit?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Question on VIS

Joe,
When I saw your comments on the VIS and then read the thread "Neat things about the Ruger SR1911" by KenMays, I saw a good picture of the VIS in his post. It looks to have a good amount of relief cut on the face with a bow tie. Did your gun also look like this but still measure out as inadequate based on your measurements? What is the required depth? Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Thank you sir for your review, it pushed me over the edge to make this purchase. It has been one of the most well written and well thought out reviews i have ever read.

Also just a question, 1 out 10 what would you rate this gun for its price category?

And one last thing im looking froward to seeing what you are going to do to this firearm to make it better.
First off, thank you for the kind words. If I was forced into a corner and had to rate it on a scale of 1-10 I would say it would be a...hmmm... 8.21579 for the money... ;)

Nice review.

I do have one question.
After reading your measurements about the sights, do this mean that sights with a "standard" Novak cut WILL NOT fit?
Hankfan79, actually, the standard Novak sight will fit just fine. What they did was they did not set the sight as deep as normal which necessitates a higher than normal front sight unfortunately.

Joe,
When I saw your comments on the VIS and then read the thread "Neat things about the Ruger SR1911" by KenMays, I saw a good picture of the VIS in his post. It looks to have a good amount of relief cut on the face with a bow tie. Did your gun also look like this but still measure out as inadequate based on your measurements? What is the required depth? Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
Mine measures .0025" deep which while some may think it is adequate, personally I think is a bit shallow. How much is needed is debatable. Personally I think that .005" is enough, however, I know there are others that think more is necessary. All that being said, there are tons and tons of guns out there that have no "bowtie" cut that have lasted thousands of rounds without breaking legs, links or other problems...and then there are the ones I have seen and fixed that did break the legs and links. And it is a show stopper if it happens. :)

Thank you for your questions. They always challenge me to check and double check!

Respectfully,

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
"Hankfan79, actually, the standard Novak sight will fit just fine. What they did was they did not set the sight as deep as normal which necessitates a higher than normal front sight unfortunately."

Actually, I like the higher front sight. For me at least I get the front blade up on target a little quicker, I guess because my eyes pick up the the taller "out of focus" blade easier than my other "low out of focus" blades.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Very interesting read, thanks for taking the time to post it. I wish I understood most of the specs. Just two questions. The grip screw bushings, are they staked or just loctite'd? I prefer slimline grips and was wondering how hard it would to switch them out? I know I don't understand a lot of the specs, but there seemed to be a list of issues you addressed. Would this model need to be worked on by someone to make it carry worthy? Thanks for the post and explanations.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
wow good informative review must be an excellent gunsmith

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Very interesting read, thanks for taking the time to post it. I wish I understood most of the specs. Just two questions. The grip screw bushings, are they staked or just loctite'd? I prefer slimline grips and was wondering how hard it would to switch them out? I know I don't understand a lot of the specs, but there seemed to be a list of issues you addressed. Would this model need to be worked on by someone to make it carry worthy? Thanks for the post and explanations.
The grip screw bushings are loctited in with red. A small amount of heat will break the bond. As for reliability, well, while there are things I would suggest correcting, if you read my range report you will see that it was pretty flawless in function for that short test. That being said, I would still correct some minor things if I were going to put my life on it...but then I am a smith. ;)

Respectfully,

·
Registered
95 Posts
Joe--very interesting report. I read it several days ago, still waiting for my SR1911, which will be my first 1911. I am new to pistols so I really appreciate the detail and your writing skill. I also checked out your web site. May be calling you for some work later on when I have a little more experience with my pistol(s) and know what to ask for. Thanks again.
Joe

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hey man I can't thank you enough for this review again, it pushed me over the edge to buy it. And while i have said that before yesterday i bought it(about 650 out the door). Took it home last night stripped it down and looked it over, everything looked really good, but like you said, not a 2k gun. Going to take it to the range tomorrow to see how it shoots, again thanks for the review made me feel good enough to buy it.

41 - 60 of 103 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.