1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have all seen them, some of us actually own them. What is the general opinion overall on this gun?
I'll start;
Recently acquired a black synthetic and stainless. 1st impressions were overall very good. I like the concept and gun is nice. Once to the range I have fallen in love! This gun is sweet! Performance is as expected on a Ruger 10/22.......FLAWLESS!
My gun included the Ruger pack and it is nicely made, the idea of all in one bag is great. Simply store gun in pack, add extra magazines and ammo and WALA you have a package you can grab and go. I opted to put a red dot optic Bushnell TRS-25 and it is perfect for this compact rifle. I can disassemble the rifle and store in bag with optic still mounted. No need to take optic off, returns to zero when reassembled.
Overall review is great. Price is high compared to a standard 10/22 but not overpriced for what you are getting.

Let's hear from the rest of the group.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
I owned one for a while after picking up one when they first arrived on market. Neat rifle and nothing against it, but could not fall in love with it. Sold it and haven't missed it.

TO ME, it is one of those novelty items that answers a problem that doesn't exist.

It reminds me of the WW co-pilot, a neat idea. But in reality it doesn't provide a big enough advantage over standard model.

JMHO though!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Picked one up this last summer. Took it to the range and had a blast.
Accurate right out of the bag. Thinking about putting a scope on it sometime.
Can grab and go to the range even on the bike. Everything I need is in the bag.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I earned a free one through work and it came in last Wednesday. It is my first 10/22, and I'm not sure if I like it in its stock configuration. I don't like how you have to push the bolt release and pull the bolt back to get it to close, but I understand its a $10 fix. The gun has been flawless in the 100-150 rounds I have shot through it though.
I wish the bag had bigger pockets to fit a brick of ammo in it. I only have the one mag so far, but hope to get some 25 rounders soon.

·
Registered
119 Posts
it's easy to mod the bolt release yourself. Check for vids on it. If you mess it up then buy one already done. You may be able to save the cash & learn some things about your rifle.

Only get the RUGER BX-25 mags. Man somewhere they are on sale for $20ea. Midway?
Butler Creek mags suck. Even the steel lips may feed ok they will develop cracks in the plastic from normal use.
Ruger can also be taken apart & cleaned to get out all that dirt & wax from Remington (wax) & Winchester (dirt) boolits.

I own the takedown. Put a nice Nikon 150BDC on it but should have kept the open sights & saved that $200 spent for the scope & mount. The sights are on the barrel for a reason, to keep accuracy. Besides there are not many scopes mounted that will fit in the bag. Mine does not. Another flaw in the stainless anyway, is the reduced diameter of the barrel where the bolt hits. A normal 10/22 has a larger area where the bolt hits so it's less likely to peen. Could also be the hammering of dis-like metals, not sure. Issue is out there on the net if you realize what is happening & search. I have filed the end of the barrel 2 seperate times & lightly taper reamed the chamber to remove peening & get cases to fit again. I would recommend a KIDD charge handle & machine ground rod (and spring kit) with light polishing of the bolt to remove flaws.

Stock trigger jobs are pretty easy. Mine is 2.5lbs & less than 1/4in travel with all stock internal parts except an adjustable trigger.

With scope mounted @ 50yrds my groups move 2in to the right after a 25rnd mag is shot off pretty quick. Cold it's accurate. Due to the scope not directly mounted to the barrel.

Do I love it? NO.
does it have a purpose? yes but I would have to change it back to stock sights to suit that purpose. And a Henry Survival would be a better choice for that purpose.

DO NOT try to take it apart without holding the bolt open. You WILL bend the extractor.
I guess that's another Flaw.

I thought it was really cool when I first got it. Fell into the trick mods of the 10/22, gave me something to do & wanted to test & shoot it more. It wore off & I haven't touched it in 5 months. I should put it back to stock sights & find something more deserving of the scope & mount.

yeah I was bored & too much time on my hands. Barrel & receiver polished to mirror finish but the pic sucks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts