Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
223 RUSSIAN 55gr. FMJ
BRAND NEW
20 ROUND BOXES
WOLF MANUFACTURE
100% NON-CORROSIVE
Hows this ammo just for plinking so accuracy isn't that crucial not like I am going to compete. But it won't blow up or mis fire every round will it?
Oh yeah I got it off of ammoman.com

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hey Greg, I don't know about the 223, but I 've shot the wolf 762x39, 9mm, 45acp, and it all has worked just fine for me. I don't think that a guy has to relegate the wolf ammo to plinkin only. I think we all just have this idea that russian ammo must be inferior to anything that we produce.By a lot of the posts here it actually appears that maybe it is a little hotter that a lot of other stuff. I havn't cronied it but it shoots good for me any way, and is real cheap. I guess that makes it great for plinkin.HeHe! Just my 2 cents Powderhound (NRA Life) The lacker makes for a littel more cleaning but the guns got to get cleaned when it gets home anyway.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Seems to be a lot of bad press going around about Wolf ammo, mostly referencing the steel cases being hard on extractors and the laquer coating on the cases (for rust resistance) tending to get hot and glue the round into the chamber, making extraction impossible, in .223's that have been fired enough to really warm-up the chamber. I have used a fair amount of Wolf ammo in .223 and 9mm and have had neither problem. I have to question how the laquer could be a prob when laquered ammo is used in almost every AK in every corner of the world, but, it's also true that the AK has a rather large and robust extractor. I don't believe the steel case is itself a problem, as in wearing things out because steel is harder than brass... but I can see how, maybe, the laquer coating makes extraction harder, and so tends to be harder on extractors, and that this problem does not show in AK's because their extractors are so tough.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Anyone ever heard of "Silver Bear" ammo?

Made in Russia, apparently by some "low voltage electrical production something or other", I couldn't resist. $4.00/50 rds., nickle plated cases, jhp's.

Let me know.

Thanx, P

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Not to be a smart ass, but it will either work or it won't... and I've read an awful lot of posts in the "won't" category. The steel cases don't "shrink" back as much after discharge and will jam guns that might be a shade tight in the fit there. The lacquer on the steel cases also burns off and coats the inside of the barrel throat, which can also cause a jam. I have also read the powder they use is sometimes beyond filthy.

Personally, you couldn't pay me enough to put that steel-cased lacquered stuff in my guns when you consider Sellier+ Bellott is only about 10% higher in price and has none of these problems. I've shot about 25k rounds of S+B through about 9 guns with no ammo problems.

·
Registered
370 Posts
ive got about 600 rounds of wolf ammo through my AR and havent had any problems. ive never seen melted laqcuered cases or any in the chamber. i think people get a jam with their gun and instead of blaming themselves for poor gun maintence they blame the ammo, cuz its MUCH easier and doesnt hurt their ego or whatever.
IF its true about this melted laqcuer thing then the guys are getting there guns nearly RED HOT and not letting them cool down between mag changes, these are the "ammo burners" who use their guns are "bullet hoses" and not real target shooters.

i was in a gun shop where i saw a new mini 14 that was being sent back to ruger, the owner reached in the gun cut his finger on a burr near but not on the chamber and says "wolf ammo ruined my gun".
the steel cases my be hard on the extractor but they are cheap, if you can stand the stink from the ammo then i dont see too much wrong with the ammo for what you pay.

S&B is also good ammo, but sometimes harder to find
never heard of Silber Bear ammo

·
Registered
582 Posts
O.K. BLACK PEARL. My wife bought me a case of Wolf 223 ammo because it was so cheap. I have a Remington 700 S.S. V.S. that will shoot under 1/2" at 100yds. I took the wolf ammo to the range the best it would shoot is 3 to 3 1/2" at 100yds. My last shot (less than 10) all total. The case stuck in the gun. And I had to push it out with a cleaning rod. I will NEVER shoot WOLF crap in anything I own again.

·
Registered
370 Posts
i was just passing along my expriences with wolf ammo, all of which have been with shooters using wolf in ARs or AKs and using them as bullet hoses. of course the AKs and ARs have looser chambers to allow for dirt.

i never said the stuff was accurate (which its NOT, so dont expect it), and shooting it in a gun that is made for accuracy (like a rem 700) is mostly a waste of time, unless your plinking. im sure the rem 700 or any bolt action has a tightr chamber, where shooting a steel cased round wouldnt be the best thing you could do.

but ive known people who have had brass cases stuck in their gun also.
the russians (and other communist countries) have been using steel cased ammo in their bolt action Nagants, semi autos and other guns for about 100+ years so it cant be all bad.
although i do believe that the QC is iffy and good and bad lots go out, so its probably a crap shoot.

the bottom line is -- you get what you pay for.
you dont pay much so dont expect much either

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wolf Ammo

I just shot my first and last box of Wolf 45acp. GARBAGE! 5 cases out of 50 split,(see attached) all jamming in my HK USP 45. Spend an extra buck or two and get the brand name stuff. BTW, it also is the dirtiest stuff I've ever used.

Attachments

·
Registered
259 Posts
Guys - The Russians are not our friends! :rolleyes:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts