1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Info about the saigas. The two American calibers of 223/308:are more accurate that the Russian calibers the Russians have claimed. Too bad they never offered a saiga in 7,62 x54 r.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Even though they can import the Russian models anymore, There are enough sources that someone could sell a sporter version of an AK again.

·
Registered
4,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Russian Izmash saiga spotter is a Ak/AKM rifle.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Ever Notice the TV Gun shows rarely or hardly ever mention - show or review AKs of any kind, or the semi auto clones of H&K MP5 etc etc. Since I guess they are funded by American Company advertisers. Plenty of AKs in the USA now, & numerous American companies involved - but their absence is conspicuous. It's almost like a well kept secret.

·
Registered
4,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
These saiga sporters aren’t cheap anymore.

·
Registered
4,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Benchrested the 16” barreled 308win saiga using surplus South African ammo at 100yds will shoot 1 1/2” groups. Right out of the box. For a ak rifle for $289 at the time that’s not too shabby.

·
Registered
94 Posts
The two American calibers of 223/308:are more accurate that the Russian calibers the Russians have claimed.
My 7.62x39mm (with proper pistol grip conversion) Saiga is a surprisingly accurate rifle.

~2.5 MOA is is easily achievable with bulk ammo, which makes it pretty comparable to your typical AR-15 carbine.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Ever Notice the TV Gun shows rarely or hardly ever mention - show or review AKs of any kind, or the semi auto clones of H&K MP5 etc etc. Since I guess they are funded by American Company advertisers. Plenty of AKs in the USA now, & numerous American companies involved - but their absence is conspicuous. It's almost like a well kept secret.
Another AK testimonial : I first bought a Romanian AK 20 years ago - when they were almost paying you to buy one. First time I took it to the range - I was completely sold on it, & I promptly liquidated my .308 Enfield, & 30-30 Winchester carbine - & never looked back. Soon as I could - I added a Saiga 12C shotgun. & have been completely satisfied with both.
I have wondered the exact reason AKs are NEVER discussed on American rifleman TV. National Pride perhaps - more likely no payola from USA manufacturers - since the USA AK makers are small shops. Ignoring the ideal "PEOPLES RIFLE" completely, is distinctly unhelpful, & doing the uninformed American shooter a disservice.
The last gun store/gunsmith operation I visited - admitted they stayed in business keeping ARs & Plastic Pistols running. Whereas they didn't work on many 1911's - although they sold a few. AK owners rarely had problems.
They seldom saw any COMM-BLOCK firearms, although there are lots in private hands. Those I own, I can keep maintained myself, are very reliable, affordable, & will last many more years.
I wish the NRA could promote semi-auto proven battlefield surplus & help make them available to the members & qualified public. I can't afford ANY of the CMP surplus arms - & sure I'm better off with what I already have - not being a collector.

·
Registered
970 Posts
I still think that with so many ban states there IS a market for a non-Russian sporterized version of the AK. Nobody seems willing to do one, though.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Info about the saigas. The two American calibers of 223/308:are more accurate that the Russian calibers the Russians have claimed. Too bad they never offered a saiga in 7,62 x54 r.
There are the 7.62 X 54 Romanian PSL rifles available around $1500. see pic.
I'd like one, but instead have a 7.62 x39 baby dragunov, that is cheaper to shoot & easier on my shoulder. it is quite accurate out to 200 yds.

The PSL rifles are offered by "Classic Firearms"

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts