1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My blued XSE is a great shooter and I love it, but I can't stand how it is always rusting in certain spots several days after I totally clean and oil it. I always clean it after every trip to the range and oil it down really good with RemOil. I don't keep it in a case, I keep it in a holster beside my bed, it is my carry weapon. When I wipe the rust spots with oil, it returns to looking great again and stays that way for a few days or even a week, then that damn rust comes back. It makes me want to sell the blued gun and get a stainless. Suggestions?

·
Registered
634 Posts
wolf, have you tried leaving out of the holster after cleaning to see if the rust comes back? Is it a leather holster?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No I haven't tried that, and yes it is a leather holster. The rust always appears on the grip safety and on the front of the grip. It also appeared for the first time on the hammer recently.

·
Premium Member
4,463 Posts
ThePhotoWolf,
Try a soak in some Ed's Red or clean the gun and then put just a little anhydydrous lanolin, (an ingredient in Ed's Red) as a protective film. Or use some Wilson Grease as a protective film, I have a hard time washing off the Wilson grease with acetone.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Rust on the grip safety and the front of the grip (and I'll wager on the mainspring housing and gripscrews too) sounds like you're the proud owner of extra-corrosive sweat.

I'm one too and can rust oiled stainless by barely touching it. Prior to putting a gun up, I have to be VERY careful to wipe everything down with solvent, then oil, without touching the steel at all. I use motor oil, as it leaves a fairly heavy film behind, while remoil seems to evaporate quickly.

·
Registered
400 Posts
wolf, you should remove your stocks and check for rust there too, if you are rusting on the front and back you're probably rusting under the grips also... .02

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is this common of new Colt blued guns or what? I can't imagine having alot of these guns and having them get all this surface rust all the time. I have removed the grips and there is no rust under there just on parts in open air.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
I haven't had any problems with any of my blued guns. I use Militec and/or breakfree to wipedown the slides and frames of my blued guns.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have not heard of this problem with other Colts so I would guess the most likely situation is environmental. As J.R. Bob Dobbs stated you may sweat sulfuric acid ;). Are you in a salt-water coastal area? I do not know enough about different metals but I suppose that some blued parts might rust easier than others depending on exact metal composition and finishing. A co-worker cant keep his stainless sig from rusting in certain places but mine is fine and I frequently don't even wipe the droplets of sweat of it when taking it out of my inside the waistband holster and putting it up for the night.

The best product I have found for rust prevention is Marine Tuff Cloth check it out here http://www.sentrysolutions.com/

I have used it on several old guns with most of the bluing worn off and now leave then in their cases with no worries and I live in a salt water coastal area.

Good luck and hope this helps.

Regards

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
What you are seeing is about par for the course as far as blued guns are concerned. You should probably start by using a modern CLP like FP-10 instead of Rem Oil.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well the surface hasn't started rusting, it's all surface rust so far. I am going to get a quality lubricant and see what happens from there. I will never sell my first gun. :eek:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same problem you discribe with my Hi-Power. I used Rem Oil to wipe the pistol down. Well Rem Oil isn't very good at protecting against rust, and the recomendation of using FP-10 as mentioned above, or even BreakFree CLP will work much better.

J.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts