1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi There,

I bought a well used Colt LW Commander today. It has a very worn finished, but otherwise is in very good mechanical shape. It has one minor mechanical issue, though. When I inspected the gun, I noticd that the grooves of the rifling in the barrel has some orange stuff in it. I think it might be rust, but it could also be copper fouling (I'm not sure).

What can be done to help clean the grooves of my barrel. The lands are really clean and smooth, but the grooves have the rusty/orange colored stuff in them. I'm soaking the bore with some copper solvent foam right now and will then clean it carefully with Hoppes, but is there something else I can do to remove the rust/fouling? I lost my bronze bore brush, but would scrubbing the bore with a bronze brush and some Hoppes #9 help? What do you suggest I do to help improve the condition of the bore?

Aside from this issue, I'm super happy with the gun. I hope to shoot it this weekend.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Probably rust, or copper.

"I" would clean the bore with a copper chore boy for any lead and debris removal, then follow that with hoppes #9 or any good bore cleaner with a nylon bore brush. I would then follow that with Sweets copper solvent for copper removal (follow directions).

If I still noticed the orange color, I would repeat cleaning with bore cleaner and brush and clean as necessary. If this don't do it, soak in oil overnight and brush the next day. After that - I'd call it done and shoot the snot out of it !!

·
Registered
405 Posts
I think your on the right path. There seems to be a lot of voodoo barrel cleaning advice but some copper solvent and hobbs followed by a good brass brush works for me.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
A good soak and a scrub certainly won't hurt it...its probably copper, and if its been in there a while, it may take some "elbow grease" to get it out. Hoppes #9 and a good brush...plenty of both.:)

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think it's copper...

Here's some additional info - I just looked at my barrel again after having soaked it for 15 minutes with Outer's Bore Cleaning foam (copper & Power residue). I used several cleaning patches (alternating hoppes #9, then a dry, clean patch) to clean the barrel and remove the foam. It looks like the fouling is shiny like a penny, so I'm thinking it might be copper.

Cleaning the barrel with CLP, then with the Outers foam, then with hoppes #9 seemed to have helped, but a few of the grooves seem to have a lot of the copperish stuff in them. Any ideas on how to clean it?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Guys! I just posted after you guys posted. I'll continue as planned and use the foam plus Hoppes #9. I need to buy a new bronze brush tomorrow.

Love this gun!

·
Registered
405 Posts
Agreed you will need a copper solvent!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks fellas. The Outer's copper solvent that I was using is ammonia free. It did clear up more of the fouling the second time around, but there is still some left. I hope to be able to pick up a brass/bronze brush this week and maybe also some of the Shooter's choice (or another ammonia based) solvent.

Barrel looks better after soaking it twice with the Outer's copper solvent. I think a brush would help.

Thanks again for the tips and links.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Do not use brass / bronze or copper brushes when using copper solvent. The solvent will attack the brush !!

Use a nylon brush

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dogbreath - thanks for the important tip. I think I have a nylon bore brush at home. I'll give it a try tonight.

·
Premium Member
2,693 Posts
If the solvents don't work I would use a little JB Bore Paste. You can get Remington Bore Cleaner locally at Walmart. It is a pretty aggressive mechanical cleaner so I wouldn't use it more than absolutely necessary to remove heavy copper fouling. Follow the directions and don't use it anywhere but the bore.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts