1911Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I havent been around in a while, but have a problem maybe you can help with. I havent really been free to do much but work and sleep for a while, so I havent touched my Colt 70s re-issue stainless steel in a few months. Today I took it out, and it has rust! I stripped it all the way down and now its soaking in Breakfree CLP. Pretty much the frame and internals has rust, besides for the sear and disconector( the slide and internals are good, barrel has some outside rust). Some of the rust was comming off with CLP, but didnt want to mess the finish up or wanted to see if there was a better way, so now its soaking, some of the frame looks a lil deeper than just surface. Sorry if this is confusing, just wanted to get oppinions ASAP, first gun, under a year old, and was a hefty investment for me to make to begin with. ANY ideas welcome!! :bawling:

·
Registered
147 Posts
First thing is to figure out why it rusted in the first place. (Humid enviorment & in a leather holster perhaps?)

Take the parts out of the oil and wipe them off with a cotton rag, rubbing hard. Hopefully most of the rust is on the rag now.

I've had good success with a product called "Nevr Dull" It works great on minor surface rust, and rust you can't see on blued firearms. But this stuff is non-abrasive, so won't help serious rust. I'll leave that up to the others on this forum.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
relatively humid enviroment, dont have the AC on when I am not here, in a locked case in foam. I heard foam wasnt the best solution, I guess now I know first hand. Toothpaste and crome cleaner I have had luck with cars and parts, but do not want to mess up the finish anymore than I have to on the gun. Never polished anything before, do not want to have to learn on my weapon. Thanks for the idea, Ill wait for a few more to chime in. Thanks a LOT!!! :bawling:

·
Registered
271 Posts
A piece of unfinished leather or a suede scrap with a few drops of gun oil on it makes an excellent rust removal tool for light surface rust. I've used it many times myself.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Cleaned some rust spots off of my stainless '91A1 recently with Flitz. Came right off. My rust was in the bead blasted area of the frontstrap. The Flitz did not polish or change the finish in any noticeable way.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
A friend of mine who collects old guns likes to use Clove Oil. I've tried it on an old original 1911 and have had some good results as well. The way to use this is to saturate the rusty area in clove oil and let it sit overnight. Then take a soft wood stick of some sort and rub over the areas affected. Most of the rust will come right off without affecting the finish or metal surface. If the rust has gone beneath the surface of the metal there's not much you can do.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Pessimistic

Hate to be one, but it sounds like you are is trouble. Don't use OOOO steel wool as it will be too severe and take the bluing off as well. Chances are, you're gonna have to have it reblued by a professional. I recently screwed up one of mine trying to get just a little spot off and its now being reblued to the tune of $135. I can recommend this guy, down in Fla, if you have to do it. His web page is: http://www.gunblue.homestead.com/
I've had work done by him and it was supurb.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.