1911Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I noticed in my last trip to the range that my Razorback has been crushing some of the fired case mouths.( it hard to miss when the case hit you in the head) Normally this does not happen but with some new Double Tap practice ammo it show up more frequently. Standard factory (weak) ammo doesn't do this but the toasty DT does it with much more frequency. The cases are obviously stove piping but has not caused jams yet. What is the best way to solve this? Tune the extractor, change springs or recoil buffer? This is a stock RZ.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I did some checking of the extractor and it will not hold an empty case is place so it definitely needs a tune. I know it should hold it to the slide with some light pressure but and after applying a little bending it is almost there now. I may order another extractor with the 24# spring to keep on hand in case the symptoms persist. Any recomendations on the extractor brand?

Courtney

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got to do some shooting last weekend with the new springs and "tuned" extractor. The 24# spring feels better shooting the Double Tap ammo. :rock:
I did get a few failures to load so I took a bit of the "bend" I put in out and will try again at the next range session. I guess that's what they mean by tuning. :scratch: I've had some reccomend the Aftec extractor too. Is it any good?
Courtney

·
Registered
8,648 Posts
Courtney:
Sounds like you're close with the extractor. Regarding the Aftec, I'm ambivalent. Many 10mm guys seem to like them, but I personally don't care for the idea of replacing 1 part with several, as this goes against the "KISS" principle. Also find the cost to be an influencing factor.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Almost there. Got only 2 out of 50 at the last range session. Took a tiny bit more bend out and I'll see on the next trip.
While I had the gear out, I took the opportunity to to chronograph the DT ammo. Average for the 50 rounds was 1293 fps with the minimum 1236, maximum 1334 and SD of 23.63. Toasty!

I'll save getting the Aftec for when I build up a double stack race machine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.