1911Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My gun dealer, who's probably got one of the best shops in the state says the model I'm looking for is currently back ordered. I'm trying to get a Loaded model w/ a parkerized finish.

His price was $825 which also seems a bit steep to me.

I'd do a transfer order through GunsAmerica or something but after shipping and transfer fees you're still pretty close to that quote of $825. I like to inspect before I buy too, a picture on the internet just doesn't quite cut it for me.

I had a stainless Loaded model when they first came out years ago and I think I paid around $650 for that.

I've kinda been out of the gun buying circles for a while so this is all a bit surprising to me.

Are Springfield's that hard to find? I knew they were popular, but I didn't realize they'd become so expensive too.

Thanks in advance for your input and info.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Yes, and yes.

My dealer has trouble getting Springfields in stock, and when he has them they don't last long (the 1911's more than the XD's).

Also either gun prices have gone up a lot since the reviews I read online, or Springfield is getting more respect and higher prices. Springfield's used to be entry level guns but now they are, imho, just below Kimber (or neck and neck on their pricier models). I think they can get away with this because of the lifetime warranty and reputation for excellent customer service. Meanwhile Kimber is getting knocked for possibly lowering their quality control and for bad customer service.

I started out shopping for Kimber but have switched to Springfield. But I don't want to pay semi-custom prices, so I am looking in the GI/Mil-Spec range and not the Loaded/Operator etc. ranges.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Only thing buying through Gunbroker or Gunsamerica is you do not pay sales tax unless you buy from within your home state. The 1911 Loaded 9mm are so scarce, I got the last one on Gunbroker back in October, no more NIB to be found. Loaded .45 are a bit easier, and IMO would not settle on less than loaded so as not to have to buy another gun just pony up the money and buy it once. Again its my opinion, have no regrets on spending the money for a loaded whatsoever.

·
Registered
150 Posts
My dealer has a whole display case full of them...virtually every model including some hi-cap stuff. But then again we're only 100 miles from the armory.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Hey Bear, you ever send for your PA permit?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Kimber is a very nice gun but if I could go back and change my mind I would have got a Springer ''GI'':rock:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Kimber is a very nice gun but if I could go back and change my mind I would have got a Springer ''GI'':rock:
Glad to hear the prop for Springer - I see you have a Kimber Custom II. There's one of those in the dealer's case now, and I have to say it looks mighty sweet. I think if Springer had the reputation for bad customer service, and Kimber the reputation for good customer service, it would swing me to the Kimber Custom II. But since Springer apparently takes much better care of its customers post sale, I'll get the GI (or Mil-Spec, haven't finally decided; I think I want the GI in Armory Kote, which is going to be tough to find).

·
Registered
23 Posts
His price was $825 which also seems a bit steep to me.

Thanks in advance for your input and info.
Yes that seems really steep to me as well. Im also in the market for a SA loaded or better and I priced that exact gun today. My guy gets em for $689 NIB. And he didnt mention anything about back order either. I havent checked to see where youre from, but if youre withing driving distance of Denver, Id say you should check with him.

·
Registered
89 Posts
mil spec in OD Armory Kote is also on Guns America last time I checked.
Is that listed as a "Standard" from Rifle Web? I didn't see a specific reference to the Mil-Spec. Also OD Armory Kote isn't listed on the Springfield website, any idea when they stopped making Mil-Spec's in Armory Kote?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Springer 1911

I stop at the local dealer the other day and asked him if he had any mil-spec with the NM serial number: He stated the one I purchased back in June was the only one he had and he don't think he will see any more for some time:He had a few that were stamped made in Brazil I wonder why the NM are hard to find?
The new Law is also a problem here He stated : N.Y.S. and I think it is also Delaware also all guns must be test fired by NYS POLICE and a empty case round need to be on file

·
Registered
89 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
S.A. 1911s hard to Find?

I have had very good luck with those slightly used guns that some ill informed person buys, returns with about 42 rounds of ammo in a Remington-UMC box and that then trade ten back in for a great discount for a more appropriate ( to them) weapon with them being nearly new. I got a nice used 1911A1 parkerized for 450.00 and a circa 1996 pretty much new ( kept in a sock drawer for 10 years) full size lightweight for 400.00 and a nicely extra- tricked out loaded green 1911A1 for 600.00 and finally a newer model loaded lightweight full size for 600.00 All being in virtually new shape, having nearly no wear showing anywhere. 2 of these I took to the range and loaded up with Chip McCormick or Wilsons magazines ( 10 rounders are great for qualifying) and shot in the 90s cold with the first round fired out of either. I have had very good luck with SA and Colts too as far as finding nearly new slightly used ones and maybe changing out the mainspring housing or grips merely for ergonomics purposes. I right now own 5 SAs and 2 Colts. The most (and most used but still largely unused ) interesting one was owned by a motorcycle mechanic who had done a very few mods to the first of the 1911A1s I got in the last year and it shot better than any other one I own - it had been shot more than the others but still very little.I have also seen mearly new Milspecs or GIs, Para Ordinances, Kimbers and Colts ( I also found a NEW traded in Series 80 unfired but traded in back in for 550.00; a NEW NEW one identical to it was 700.00 in the new display case) going for 400.00 to 495.00 foe the Kimber that was factory tricked out nicely. The bright polished blie S80 Colt I bought was stone stock and I have not fired it yet preferring to retain it for training stock for the time being. Having bought my 1st Browning design 27 years ago, I love the timeless design and the fact that it has lasted since cavalry troops went after Pancho Villa and is still going strong. The coolest thing about them is that Sgt. Alvin York and many many others never heard of Wilson, Bauer, Brownells et al but with a stone stock pistol (that some would have us believe needs every part on it replaced) managed to somehow draw it, charge it and get it up and running effectively within seconds much to the chagrin of a number of steel-tipped rifle waving Kaiser-babies ( 6 + 1 Officer with very poor judgement) or various and sundry screaming sons of Nippon weilding 3 and a half feet of gleaming and very sharp steel. The results of these encounters leave little question as to it's effectiveness as well. I like that you can take either Rob Lleatham's pistol or a box stock SA mil spec or GI or old Remington-Rand or Union Switch and Signal manufactured oldie last issued during WWI or II or the Viet nam era , put it in your favorite Milt Sparks or Thad Rybka or Blackhawk holsteror overall pocket and walk down the street or place it on the nightstand and in complete confidence know that you can protect your loved onesand self just as well as these brave and scared Sons of Liberty did as far back as 90 years ago. I suppose that would apply to 44 special S&W N frames, Colonel Colt's favorite 38/40, 44/40 or 45 Colt chambered "Botherer of Bad Guys- the P model or Mr John Moses Browning's OTHER excellent pistola de combatto de Belguique, but no other platform combines the longevity WITH the current and mostly constant popularity and an actual cult-like following or absolute sheer inumerable applications of needed force on so many occasions to the betterment of society and so many innocent lives saved. So basically this old war house can pull the ice wagon or perform just as effectively in dressage as it were. With this I vacate my soapbox with apologies for the lack of brevity but remember there is gold in them- thar used cases at least in Alabama thar is. Happy bargain hunting

1 - 19 of 19 Posts