1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking to get a mag well for my series 1 kimber compact. Are the S&A Mag Wells about the same as the ones Kimber is offering on thier site? Any advantages or disadvantages? Im assuming that all the mag wells are going to require "some" fitting thats no problem. Any advantages to using the MSH/mag well combo?

Thanks. Jason

·
Registered
319 Posts
I have been very happy with the S&A magwells (both for full size and compact officer's size frames)...

Occasionally, minor fitting is needed to ensure that the funnel is gap free against the bottom of the frame; but usually it is a minor thing.

I prefer blending the magwell to the frame to give it a smooth appearance and to ensure both insertion/removal is snag free. Personally, I use a flexhone on the spring tunnel of the MSH to remove any milling/tool marks... I have found the before/after yields a much smoother action IMHO.

·
Premium Member
6,416 Posts
I believe I read on this forum that S&A is currently making magwells for Kimber. I bought my magwell from Kimber a couple of years ago because I figured the color match would be better. It matched just fine and required no fitting.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
I just spent $20 more for the Kimber part (mag well combo) than what the S&A part cost, for the same reason as eljay45.

It did fit right on, first time, no problem. Matches very close in color, but not exactly in surface finish (texture.)

The combo deal is a real easy way to add a mag well. These help with rapid reloads, like for USPSA IPSC competition. It can be removed pretty quickly if you need to. Especially if you buy the little bits inside, and keep the original one complete, sort of like a ready-spare.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts