1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

What is the proceedure for installing one of these on a Springfield? By that I mean, what has to be disassembled in order to install it? I have no problem with disassembly, just don't want to dissasemble beyond what's neccessary. Complete walkthrough would be nice

Thanks to all,

catmath 1911

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks hhsmiley,

I have often frequented Blindhogg's web page for home gunsmith info. It is very informative, and he is a nice guy to boot! I have just one more question on this though, can the mainspring housing be removed without a total disassembly of the frame? I have never just removed the mainspring housing and I suppose I could go try, but it is much easier to ask
. I have never installed a S&A magwell before, and I figured this would be a good point to start "tinkering" with my gun.

Thanks to all,

catmath 1911

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
The answer is yes. Just push out the pin at the bottom of the housing and it'll come right out. Just make sure the hammer is not cocked when you do it. The spring pressure will make it difficult to push the pin out.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Catmath
Yes it is possible to replace your mainspring housing without taking down the whole bottom end. This is how I do it, first rubberband the grip safety in, this keeps the sear spring captured so it does not slip off the sear, disconnector and stays in its slot in the frame when you pull off the old mainspring housing. Next replace mainspring housing with replacement,ensure you pull the guts out of your old one first, and check out the above mentioned article if the fingers on the magwell do not mate with frame properly, which is most of the time.
good luck

------------------
Chris from va

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to all who posted. I got the part in today, and in about an hour, got the gun back together. I had to do some filing on the S&A piece to get a proper fit, but all in all, I am happy with the results. Now I just need some purty grips made for A S&A equiped gun!

catmath 1911

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Check Brownells for some Goncalo Alves S&A grips. The wood is beautiful and those grips are made to fit your new MS housing and hide the MSH retainer pin. I think only one guy makes them in that wood and I can't remember his name...but you can find it by looking for the wood.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts