1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you who have fitted an S&A magwell to their LB, how did you go about doing it. Was it a fit piece or did your LGS install it. Same for a Wilson extended slide release was that a drop in part or did your gunsmith have to fit that as well.

·
Premium Member
3,907 Posts
I've put (3) on my Baers myself, no issues. With that said, obviously they're not blended all nicey nice like on a couple customs I have but they work great.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I put one on my P2 and my UTC. Both fit very tight. The inside of the magwell is not blended in of course but that does nothing to affect function.

My Baers get worked hard and both look like they have been through a small war (lots of USPSA/training, kydex holsters, rough table starts, etc). In my opinion these magwells are a must. They are also very tough. I would feel comfortable using the butt of my pistol as a hammer if it came down to it and would not worry at all.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I have a S&A magwell on my Concept 6, which dropped right in. On my Mono HW I put an Ed Brown magwell, but it took some fitting. Mainly shaving some metal off the small pad on the inside of it.

·
Registered
675 Posts
I actually grabbed an ed brown to try something different than the s&a for when my cc gets here. Should I be concerned with exposed metal after the fitting process? Or would it be in my best interests to get it expertly fitted (and subsequently blended)? Otherwise I plan on leaving the blending go for a little while.

·
Premium Member
3,907 Posts
I actually grabbed an ed brown to try something different than the s&a for when my cc gets here. Should I be concerned with exposed metal after the fitting process? Or would it be in my best interests to get it expertly fitted (and subsequently blended)? Otherwise I plan on leaving the blending go for a little while.
Personally I would leave it. It will still work as intended and you can always do it later (refinish). Put it on and see if you like it-there are lots of brands out there as you mention.

Have fun.

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
If I ever get a free moment, I will shoot some pics of fitting an Ed Brown magwell to a Baer, outlining where metal must be removed and the concept of spot re-finishing those areas. There are two areas on Ed Brown housings and mag wells that must be relieved when fitting them to a Baer. Having done hundreds of fit and blend jobs on Baers, I believe I have a firm grasp on the concept.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Before you make a move on installing and blending a S&A or a two piece magwell,check out the one piece machined magwell from Night Hawk.S&A magwells are one piece design but are cast metal.Night Hawk magwells are machined one piece design.I personally prefer machined over cast,and one piece vs. two piece.Check'em out before passing that point of no return.

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
The N.H.'s are extremely nice. S&A's look like a Chinese knockoff of a 1 piece magwell. Just telling the truth.

Before you make a move on installing and blending a S&A or a two piece magwell,check out the one piece machined magwell from Night Hawk.S&A magwells are one piece design but are cast metal.Night Hawk magwells are machined one piece design.I personally prefer machined over cast,and one piece vs. two piece.Check'em out before passing that point of no return.

·
Registered
767 Posts
If I ever get a free moment, I will shoot some pics of fitting an Ed Brown magwell to a Baer, outlining where metal must be removed and the concept of spot re-finishing those areas. There are two areas on Ed Brown housings and mag wells that must be relieved when fitting them to a Baer. Having done hundreds of fit and blend jobs on Baers, I believe I have a firm grasp on the concept.
Boy I sure could have used this info..... I have a Brown I dealing with.......
Pin hole does not quite line up with frame, it did not slide the last 1/4in up into frame. After some measuring/dykum and milling It goes all the way up but now restricts the grip safety.....more milling....
I like the S&A better but the one on my Special Combat Gov the checkering is way to proud of the frame, It needs to be knocked down and re-checkered by hand. I thought it might be the same issue on the Baer so I got the Brown.
Im not sure witch is more work.......

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
All of the work that needs to be done to the Brown can be handled with a simple file or two. If you know where and how to file, it would take you 10 minutes.

S&A's require a torch, welder, Mill, and a lot of skill to elevate them to the custom level. Anyone can push one into the bottom of their gun, and run it, but that's not what we do here...unless, of course, that's what you request.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I've installed an S&A to my S.R.P. and to my PII-Tactical .45s, no issues, fit perfectly. The last one I fitted to my new PII .38 Super 1.5" gun took some stoning and fitting to get it to fully seat. But it looks nice when done. Yes, they are not blended, but functional and look good on the guns.

James

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My LGS did a fantastic job fitting both that and the WC slide release for 20 and I couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
4,989 Posts
Old post, but a call out to AC if you would care to elaborate. Thanks. Be great info for members to know, as have a friend wanting to put one on his Les Baer (he likes this design more so than the S&A arched ones I have one mine).

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Yep, Rob can fit an Ed brown mag well on a Baer all right

Attachments

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Another one Alchemey did

Attachments

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts