1911Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't reload yet, but I am starting to pick up my brass.

I need to order another case of something. Is S&B brass okay for reloading? I heard there was some extra step required -- something about the primer?

Fed Am Eagle is another option. Since my defense load is Hydrashok, would this be a better option?

[This message has been edited by vandal (edited 07-18-2001).]

·
Registered
9,203 Posts
Either Boxer or Berdan primed cases can be reloaded. Boxer primers are those used in the US (invented by an Englishman IIRC) while Berdan primers are used in Europe (invented by an American.) If the cases have ONE flash hole cenered with the case, it has a Boxer primer. Punch it out and reset a new one. Perhaps the primers are crimped in place, then the primer pocket needs to be reamed to remove the crimp.

To re-prime Berdan cases, you have to invest in a special de-priming tool that digs the spent primer out or fill the case with water and drive the spent primer out with pressuer.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
MOLON LABE
Leonidas c 480 BC

·
Registered
277 Posts
S&B is boxer primed. I've reloaded the brass with no problems.

Some military ammo will have crimped primer pockets which have to be reamed or swaged before a fresh primer can be inserted.

G

·
With Dillon 650 I have had problems with 45 S&B brass. The primer pocket appears to be a fraction small. Using any primer other than Remmington I have had to swage the primer pocket. I have loaded probably up to 10,000 rounds and found this to be consistant. I have other friends who have experienced the same. Mike Benedict who is moderator on this forum has the same experience.
It appears this is only with 45. 9mm not a problem. I also have friends who say on the 550 press they do not experience the problem with either 45 or 9mm.

------------------
NRA Life Member

The important things are always simple.....The simple things are always hard.

·
Registered
861 Posts
vandal, I've reloaded S&B with no problems. As others have said, it is boxed primed. I've not had problems with primers, but I do not load with Dillon equipment. I like Federal brass better than S&B. Federal seems to be more uniform and substantial. Given my choice, I'd go with Federal, but S&B is just fine.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Moving to reloading bench.

------------------
"Of those that will penetrate, the edge is always with the bigger bullet."

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.