1911Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't reload yet, but I am starting to pick up my brass.

I need to order another case of something. Is S&B brass okay for reloading? I heard there was some extra step required -- something about the primer?

Fed Am Eagle is another option. Since my defense load is Hydrashok, would this be a better option?

[This message has been edited by vandal (edited 07-18-2001).]

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
Either Boxer or Berdan primed cases can be reloaded. Boxer primers are those used in the US (invented by an Englishman IIRC) while Berdan primers are used in Europe (invented by an American.) If the cases have ONE flash hole cenered with the case, it has a Boxer primer. Punch it out and reset a new one. Perhaps the primers are crimped in place, then the primer pocket needs to be reamed to remove the crimp.

To re-prime Berdan cases, you have to invest in a special de-priming tool that digs the spent primer out or fill the case with water and drive the spent primer out with pressuer.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
MOLON LABE
Leonidas c 480 BC

·
Registered
277 Posts
S&B is boxer primed. I've reloaded the brass with no problems.

Some military ammo will have crimped primer pockets which have to be reamed or swaged before a fresh primer can be inserted.

G

·
0 Posts
With Dillon 650 I have had problems with 45 S&B brass. The primer pocket appears to be a fraction small. Using any primer other than Remmington I have had to swage the primer pocket. I have loaded probably up to 10,000 rounds and found this to be consistant. I have other friends who have experienced the same. Mike Benedict who is moderator on this forum has the same experience.
It appears this is only with 45. 9mm not a problem. I also have friends who say on the 550 press they do not experience the problem with either 45 or 9mm.

------------------
NRA Life Member

The important things are always simple.....The simple things are always hard.

·
Registered
861 Posts
vandal, I've reloaded S&B with no problems. As others have said, it is boxed primed. I've not had problems with primers, but I do not load with Dillon equipment. I like Federal brass better than S&B. Federal seems to be more uniform and substantial. Given my choice, I'd go with Federal, but S&B is just fine.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Moving to reloading bench.

------------------
"Of those that will penetrate, the edge is always with the bigger bullet."

·
Registered
731 Posts
S&B reloads fine most of the time. Occasionally, I have trouble popping out the spent primer (I think S&B uses some sort of sealant on their primers). Other than that, though, they are good to go.

Fed Am Eagle is fine, but beware of anything with an "A-MERC" headstamp. That stuff is JUNK!

Billy Ray

·
Registered
157 Posts
The only problems I've had with S&B is on some lots of 9mm. The flash hole is sometimes so small it will weasel the decapping pin out of the stem, and I have to stop and retrieve it.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Losing the decapping pin can be solved by switching to a Lee resizing die.

S&B brass works OK in my Dillon 550, but there is noticeably more pressure required to seat the primer. It is not objectionable; just different.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I just primed 1000+ cases. Thank God I bought the Hornady hand held primer tool! No way with the Lee tool. Anyway, 90% of the brass was Starline 5% Federal, 5% S&B. Brass was all mixed in one container and I could really tell when I was seating a primer in an S&B! Had to hunker down pretty hard! So indeed, the pockets are smaller.

·
Registered
913 Posts
S&B works fine for me. I've just started reloading a bunch of military brass that required removing the crimps. Primers do seat a little more easily. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
I like the 45acp cases...No probs with anything yet...

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

I Like The Shade Too!

·
0 Posts
Never gauged it, but I'm of the opinion that the S&B brass has thick walls. This is only anecdotal evidence, but I have one of those dual cylinder vaquero's with a .45 ACP cylinder and I cannot load a reloaded S&B into the cylinder. I have no problems with other brands of brass though. Just my$.02 worth.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I prime my brass with a lee hand prime(yes, I am still reloading single stage, I know, I know, get a Dillon.....soon, very soon....and I don't have any problems. The only problems I've had lately with brass is that A-Merc stuff. Screwed up a really great time and good shooting on a really challenging IDPA stage Saturday....live and learn.

Mike

·
Registered
98 Posts
I shoot a lot of S&B 9mm, 45, and 38 special and reload all the brass. I load with a single stage press or a turret press and use a Lee hand priming tool so I'm not into speed but I have never had a problem reloading any S&B brass. In fact, I rather prefer it in 45. I have some cases that I have loaded six or more times and they are still fine. I have no experience with it using a progressive however.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts