1911Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else have this problem with S&B 45ACP 230g ball ammo shooting low. Both of my 45's shoot this ammo low. The Win. white box ammo in the same hard ball 230g is right on the money. The S&B is about 2" low at 25 yards.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Well Ty, I wouldn't actually call it a "problem". Different ammo does not always shoot to the same point of impact. If you prefer this S&B load, then adjust your sights to compensate. If you don't have an adjustable rear sight, then you may want to SLIGHTLY file down the front sight.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Ty -

I shoot S&B 230 gr. FMJ as my practice ammo. Like you I have found that it shoots a little low in my Officers Model. Since I use Winchester 185 gr. Silvertips as my carry ammo and that shoots perfectly to POA, I just compensate at the practice range by aiming a little high. I don't want to mess with my sights since they work great with my carry ammo. The S&B is so cheap I will continue to use it for range work and live with aiming a little high. Once you get use to the new sight picture you can place your shots exactly where you want.

Just MHO,
MadDog

·
Registered
281 Posts
Whew. I thought it was just me. I like the ammo, but yesterday, I found myself 2-3" low at 25 yards with a pistol that had been shooting dead on. Nothing I can't live with, but good to know the reason.

Regards.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Dead-on with "what"? If it's your main ammo, that's great. Almost all ammo prints a little differently in different pistols. Sometime, even box to box is different. Don't panic!
Shoot more ammo! See...you gotta' do that, so it's necessary to spend all that money and time at the range! Hell...you probably even need a couple more pistols to use for different purposes...and of course all the extra ammo and magazines and holsters and...ya' gettin this?

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

I Like The Shade Too!

·
Registered
437 Posts
Although not quite as inexpensive as S&B ammo, PMC ball is still fairly economical. I have found it to be one of the hotter FMJ loads, a good practice round for those who carry 230 gr. Hydrashock. The hotter PMC rounds shoot to the same point of impact as the Hydrashocks in my experience.

I agree that if you have a pet carry load, that should be the one your sights are set for...everything else is just a substitute, and slight differences in point of impact are no big deal with practice ammo.

Whenever I have custom work done I ALWAYS specify the load I carry. I'll gladly pay for the ammo needed so the gunsmith can sight in with my actually carry load.

Best,

Tim

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
It seems to shoot low in my Springfield 1911A1...my biggest gripe is how filthy the stuff is, and I wonder whether it's truly non-corrosive...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts