1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sure is slick? I say that cause the new type of finish put on this model is very slippery even without oil on it. The slide serrations aren't agressive enough for this type of finish IMO. I try picturing myself with either wet, bloody, sweaty or cold numb fingers sling shotting the slide on this one... Overall a very nice weapon but for defense the "slickness" would have to be addressed. The specimen I saw (5") was put together well for $1200 without the Swartz safety.

·
Administrator
73,813 Posts
Kimber got their start by making a sensible .45 auto with all the practical modifications shooters needed, and little that they didn't. Unfortunately I see nowadays they're mostly into "designer" 1911's that are more at home being photographed in the hands of some well-dressed sexy male fashion model than being used for actual combat. If this is where Kimber's headed then they're in serious trouble. I thought the Raptors were bad enough, but this slicker than snot SIS model with cute serrations you can't even grab onto is completely ridiculous.

·
Premium Member
20,401 Posts
I'm with you Dana...Been a loyal Kimber fan since the start, and have a bunch of them (none newer than 1999). Sorry to see the flagship of factory customs sell out to cutie-pie models. If they would've stuck to their original "make it like they want it" mantra, we'd still be seeing quality 1911's. Instead, they've gone full-bore balls to the walls production, and while they're selling, the quality has gone down the tubes! It'll catch up to them sooner or later.
Tracy

·
Administrator
73,813 Posts
An early (2xxx) Clackamas Kimber is on the long list of handguns I used to own but foolishly sold off. It was the most accurate handgun I ever owned. Take my advice, when you find a gun that looks and shoots great never let it go no matter how badly you need to come up with some cash. Go without eating or lose the house if you have to, just never give up a good pistol! Odds are the manufacturer will screw with their products and/or manufacturing and you'll never be able to buy another new one like it again.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
An early (2xxx) Clackamas Kimber is on the long list of handguns I used to own but foolishly sold off. It was the most accurate handgun I ever owned. Take my advice, when you find a gun that looks and shoots great never let it go no matter how badly you need to come up with some cash. Go without eating or lose the house if you have to, just never give up a good pistol! Odds are the manufacturer will screw with their products and/or manufacturing and you'll never be able to buy another new one like it again.

I agree. I had a Series I Ultra Carry that was stolen. It was later recovered and returned to me but I had already replaced it with another Kimber. I sold the UC because I didn't need another carry gun and I needed the $$$. Big mistake. I'll never sell a good gun again. M other two Series I's are here to stay.

·
Premium Member
9,375 Posts
Since Kimber has a full catalog of models and they didn't drop anything to make this model, I have no problem with it's introduction.

However, I haven't experienced HOW slick they are.

I did see a pic and it looks like the rear site is made in such a way for a weak hand malfunction drill? If so, I am impressed actually.

Greyson

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
I really like the sights on the guns. They make it easy to rack the gun one handed. I like the finish. I have a HUGE problem with the SIS cocking serrations. They are extreamly slippery. I'd go so far as to say (for me) they are almost unusalble. Weather your chosen TTP is to sling shot or not, you have to chamber a round first. I guess that is why the made the rear sight like it is, cause you can't use the serrations.;)

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
Looked at one New Years Eve and yes they are slick. I'm glad it wasn't me, but I couldn't get enough of a grip to clear it when it was handed to me. Other than that I liked it being a pre-series II and the lack of a guide rod in the 5" model. What was Kimber thinking. This is for a LE Unit?:confused:

·
Banned
721 Posts
Whoever is in charge of purchasing for the SIS unit needs to be fired. The design they approved is a joke. The finish coupled with the serrations is absolutely silly.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
agreed... if they did this same gun in basic old stainless with normal cocking serrations I might even think about buying it..heck if they did a 5" version without front cocking serrations I might even think seriously about buying it...

I wonder if they have SIS vanity plates on the department cars...
Can't wait for Kimber's CSI, and NCIS versions to come out.... :dope:

·
Premium Member
15,298 Posts
I wonder if they have SIS vanity plates on the department cars...
Can't wait for Kimber's CSI, and NCIS versions to come out.... :dope:
Next it'll be the "Kimber Dub Edition" with optional high polished or satin finished, either gold or platinum grill. :D

I like the "idea" of the SIS but the SIS just looks silly. Coupled with all the feedback that confirm it's slick, doesn't make sense and sounds like that was for aesthetics only, function was pushed back to the back burner.

I wonder if you could give the high surface a treatment that would not take much away from the aesthetics of the SIS but would add grip? Light checkering or cross cuts????

·
Registered
380 Posts
Funny you mention gold grill. Have you guys seen the "Kimber Super America" yet? I was reading about it in the new Combat handguns and I was surprised that for a 1911 that costs over $3000 the MSH is still plastic.

Anyone else see this?

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
I guess I'm just dumb. I always figured that when the elite of the elite (Special Investigative Section - one step beyond SWAT) spent eighteen months working with Kimber, they would come up with what THEY need. Then when Kimber is able to get them to release it to the public - GEEZ, here I thought it was a great gun. Maybee I should just sell both of mine.

http://www.kimberamerica.com/downloads/SIS.pdf

After spending several hours shooting my SIS Custom (5") yesterday, NOPE I'll keep mine. Best shooting 1911 I've been near.

·
Registered
140 Posts
yep, definitely too slick. They made the mistake of beveling the edges of the SIS in the slide. Combined with the finish (which looks nice, BTW, attractive shade of gray/black) its way too slick.

Otherwise I would buy one, would be nice to have a series I kimber without a rail (already got a warrior)

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
I bet one of the first thing the SIS Unit of the LAPD will do is remove the finish on the outside of the Kimber and replace it with something less slick. I would think about buying one otherwise. Whoever is in charge of these issues at Kimber isn't a shooter.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I guess I'm just dumb. I always figured that when the elite of the elite (Special Investigative Section - one step beyond SWAT) spent eighteen months working with Kimber, they would come up with what THEY need. Then when Kimber is able to get them to release it to the public - GEEZ, here I thought it was a great gun. Maybee I should just sell both of mine.

http://www.kimberamerica.com/downloads/SIS.pdf

After spending several hours shooting my SIS Custom (5") yesterday, NOPE I'll keep mine. Best shooting 1911 I've been near.
...and they insisted that the slide serrations spell out SIS so the SWAT guys wouldn't pick up the wrong 1911's in the locker room ?
Really, 18 months and they came up with a series 70, GI plugged 1911 with a logo instead of cocking serrations and a finish that's slippier than a soapy eel ? Oh and a copy of Yost's rear sight...
I was under the impression that the SIS did a lot of undercover work. In that situation, not sure I'd want my weapon spelling out my employer...

·
Registered
95 Posts
except for the finish, serrations and the rear sight, what are the real practical differences between the sis and a tle II?

·
Premium Member
15,298 Posts
1 - 20 of 69 Posts