1911Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Hello chip. . .

Here's my 2 cents . . .

I've had a love affair with the good old 1911 for the past 20 years or so. It's my all time favorite pistol !

Have a few steel frame gov't models and one steel frame Commander. Although I love the 1911 it was just a little to heavy at times for CCW, so ended up carrying either a Sig or a Glock.

Read several positive reviews on the new S&W 1911's so I saved up my pennies and went to the local toy store. Brought home a new 1911PD.

Two words: Love it ! !

It's been 110% reliable in the past 1,000 rounds -- mixed bag of ball, 200SWC and HP's. And from eight different mags too !

I've shot this pistol side-by-side with my steel frame Commander and the only thing I see different is that the PD model has a little more muzzle "flip". A lot of the recoil -- if there is really that much ! ! -- is spread out over the large beaver-tail style grip safety. If you can shoot a steel frame Commander you can shoot the PD.

Several friends have shot this pistol and they are truly amazed with the light-weight and the way it handles.

Other than "shoot and clean" I have done nothing to this pistol. It's now my primary CCW. Can't say much more than that ! !

Hope this helps . . .

·
Registered
11 Posts
which 1911pd?

Which model 1911PD did you purchase. I was looking at the one with a 4 1/4" barrel. I know it comes in that size and the full 5" barrel and just wanted to know if which one you had and how much barrel size would change the shooting characteristics of the gun

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've got a commander (Edit: PD Scandium) (4 1/4") and just like every gun there is a learning curve. I am a novice and after 3-4 times out, my accuracy has increased exponentially. If there are any problems with the gun, S&W will take care of you!!

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
chipchip:

just got a full sized PD and love it.....posted thoughts here and also a quick range report up above in that area after first trip to range. others have responded about their guns.

i fell in love with the gun the 1st time i handled it and she shot better than i expected for the 1st time out with a new one, although the trip was short. i will have her out again this weekend.

slide to frame and bushing to slide fit were excellant on mine, along with fit and finish. the trigger was the best of any NIB 1911 i have handled (including a Colt which is known for fine triggers) and equal to the best of my guns, with of without a trigger job. that might be luck of the draw though. the recoil on the full sized was less than i expected and just slightly more than an all steel model so trade off for weight was fine. actually, it was very easy to handle and smooth to shoot. in the next few months mine will be shot a lot so i will be finding out about frame wear.

be safe, shoot well.:rock:

·
Registered
881 Posts
Recoil is more noticable on the scandium framed guns. If you have a good grip technique it's slight with a two handed grip. More muzzle rise, and a shot to shot difference you'll probably only see on a timer.

One handed and weak handed is where the difference shows up. If you are strong guy with some weght on you, you might not notice the difference one handed or weak handed.

One thing you will absolutely notice is how much easier it is to carry all day.

Dislikes:
The mainspring housing is too sharp. OTOH, it really does help you get a secure grip.
My pistol wouldn't let the mags drop free. 10 minutes of work at home with a file on the mag catch took care of that. YMMV.
For the first few hundred rounds I had some light primer strikes that I believe were due to the grip safety not fully disengaging. That problem just went away during break in.

Accurate
Reliable with factory ammo.
Decent trigger
Decent sights, 3-dot plain sights (factory night sights would have been a great option)
Well made and finished out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.