1911Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haven't thought about a .45 much. I'd love a Sistema if and when I get the cash -- and assuming I find a good one in my state. It's not on "the list" so it can't be bought online. This leaves me with a possible choice of going with the S&W since Para Ordnance, Kimbers and such can't be sold here. I'm only used to Berettas in a 9mm so what's the S&W 1911 like? Anyone fire it? Do I need to be concerned about the gun of a thousand parts? The thing I love about the Beretta is how easy it is to take apart -- and again, no Cougars allowed here either....

Thoughts, opinions of the gun?

·
Registered
504 Posts
LOL, I was just going to ask you on the Beretta forum if you had a Cougar!

The S&W 1911's seem really nice. Are the Springfield's on your list in MA? The Springfield Milspec Compact's are real nice, small 1911's. They run about $550.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd love a Cougar -- full or mini and wonder if I should just start saving for the days these are allowed in. I always think the S&W guns have a heavy trigger. I'd have to look about the one you mention but like I said, I'm in no hurry and think I'd probably wait for a Sistema. I can imagine the price of the S&W but maybe the Springfield isn't so bad. Still, not rushing...

If you want to check it out, www.fsguns.com has a section titled GUNS YOU CAN'T BUY IN MA. Interesting read....

·
Registered
151 Posts
I purchased a SW1911 and I love it Mas. I looked at alot of 1911's when I was in the market, and I was pretty much set on either a Kimber or Para Ordnance. Then I seen the SW1911, and fell in love with it. I ordered one and never looked back.

There's quite a few threads on the "other 191l's" page of this site. Check those out. They might answer some of your questions.

Cya at the beretta forum.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I hesistate to ask...but what does the SW 1911 set you back for? I'm guessing as this is in their Special Performance line -- $800 at least. In the ballpark...? :eek:

·
Registered
321 Posts
I believe the S&W sells for a bit over $700.. Check with FS,I believe they carry it..
One must remember that prices in this state are almost double what they sell for in the free world.. At least items not on the list..
Guess I will stop at FS the end of the week and see what is what..Don't get down to that end of the state very much so will be interested in what is available..

·
Registered
504 Posts
MSRP on the SW1911's are $850 but you can easily find one on Auctionarms.com or Gunbroker.com for around $699.

If you get a Sistema you need a .308 companion for it......

May I suggest a FAL.....I'm a FALoholic.....

·
Registered
321 Posts
Rrotz The problem is that one can't import a gun into this state..
It has to be something that is on the AG's list for new and used must have been registered in the state before 10/98...
It's a pretty crappy deal no matter how you look at it...

·
Registered
151 Posts
Prices I've seen in my state range from 700-750. What they would be in Massachusets I don't know. I would shop around if possible. I wouldn't pay 800 unless you absolutely have too.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hey Rrotz..

"Hey" from the Files!

I haven't been there much lately, I got sick of all of the bickering.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Live in Mass. Bought a SW1911 because it's only new 1911 that can be sold in State. However, I've been very satisfied. Gun tight and well put together. Very accurate. Trigger pull a little heavy, but that can be fixed. Checkering on rear of grip can be a little sharp on the hands, but I'm either getting used to it or its getting better. You should be able to purchase for between $700 and $750. Four Seasons had a long waiting list when gun first came out. Not sure how long the wait would be now.

Don't feel like your compromising if you buy the S&W. I've also shot a Kimber and like the S&W better.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts