1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well finally got my S&W 1911sc last week. Put a S&A arched msh magwell on her and went to the range. (still waiting on some rosewood grips)

She functioned flawlessly for 500 rounds. Accuracy was ok, though there were random fliers and the sights were not PoA. Got hit in the head a few times by cases on the last 100 rounds, but my grip wasnt as tight either. Some minor areas on the rear of the slide were not blued and the barrel crown has some burrs on it that are actually sharp enough to cut you.

My main concern is the barrel and crown. Should I send her back to S&W to have replaced/recrowned or is this common on all of them.

No noticeable wear, except the area where the rear of the guide rod contacts the frame kind of beat up the scandium frame there.

Thanks

·
Registered
609 Posts
I have seen varying degrees of imperfect barrel crown with the S&W1911 but in all cases it was just a cosmetic problem, they all shot like champs

acutally because of this 'problem' I started inspecting all my guns and those of others and the pistol I have with the nicest barrel crown is my Glock :biglaugh:

·
Registered
652 Posts
I love my Sc, but though it wasn't as accurate as it should be. Cleaning up the crown helped a bunch.
I made a 45degree lap out of a gas line fitting and valve grinding compound. If it's real rough, you may have to use a tapered stone on it first.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I've had a host of problems with my sc including a very rough crown. SW service replaced the barrel. Interesting regarding your casings to the face. See my post on this.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts