1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to all the local gun shops in a 2 hour radius of me, and while in one I came across this...

A used, Smith and Wesson Model 3914. It appears to be well maintained and comes with one magazine. The 'smith is selling it on consignment for $350.

Is it worth purchasing? I am basically trying to find either a 9mm or 1911 that would be a good starter gun and/or possible IDPA gun. Ammo-wise it seems 9mm is the way to go, for now, since it is significantly cheaper (recent college grad, with loans, and lil cash to spair).

I also have the opportunity of purchasing a Charles Daly pre-enhanced MS for $350 factory-reconditioned ("like-new"). I checked out the CD's evaluations, and it seemed split (70% liked em, 30% thought they were junk, etc).

I'd prefer obviously a "non-import" but here in Upstate NY, Springfields (even mil-spec) are fetching close to $500 and well, the 1991A1 Colt was a boggling $800.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I don't think I'd want the Charles Daly. If you like the S&W, then I'd make 'em an offer. He will probably take less. (Maybe not)

Good luck!

·
Registered
610 Posts
$350 seems a bit steep for a used 3914 with only one magazine. I'd be willing to bet that he just so happens to have a 3900 series mag, that is just "laying around" that he would be glad to sell you.
As far as an IDPA gun, those pistols are more of a "backup" sized pistol, and you will find yourself facing folks with superior pistols.
On the upside, if you can get past the terrible triggers that S&W installs with pride on all of their semiauto handguns, they are good all-around pistols. I have a 908 (the "economy" version) of the 3914, and am pleased with it preformance thus far. I have about 300 round of various ball ammo through it, and a handfull of Cor-Bons +P+ 115 gr. with no problems what-so-ever.
As far as the CD is concerned, take a close look at it, some come from the factory in better condition than others, and some come out in really crappy condition.
I hope this helps you some.

Steve

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I offered him $200 and a LC Smith "O" Grade "Fulton: Hunter Arms" Shotgun which in it's condition (~50-60%), Blue books at $500 for it. He said, he didn't want to tie up the cash in the collectible, since there isn't a market here for 'em.
. Maybe I'll put them (I have two) on an auction or something...

I thought it was a fair deal, lol.. oh well, guess he didn't need to sell anything any time soon.

The hunt is on.. lol.. eventually, I'm sure I'll find something.....

·
Registered
233 Posts
$350 is too much to pay for a used S&W 3914. Check out www.kyimports.com they have them for $299.00 with one magazine. If your wanting the gun for IDPA consider the 3906 as a possibility. It is an all stainless version of the 1914 and the extra weight really makes them shoot softly, KY has them for $269.00. I also did a quick check on www.auctionarms.com and they had one auction for a 3914 for only $265.00.

------------------
Tim Bacus
Bacus Custom

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
I'd keep looking.Forget the CD,there's a good chance the probs will give you a bad taste for the 1911 design.I'd pass on the Smith too.My wife bought a S&W 915 (generic 5900 series),and it had a better trigger than the Department 5900 series that they paid $300 more for.I shot a few matches with it and did much better than I thought.It's not my 1911 or Beretta though.Today I think you'd be hard pressed to find a good out of box gun for less than $500 new,but take a knowlegable friend with you and you can usually find a nice used piece for a good price.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Ya'll. Much oblieged. Great advice. I will check out those links ya'll sent me. I thought the $350 was pretty steep.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok.. lol. Just so ya'll know, I'm kinda doing a 180 on this. Gonna purchase a brand spankin' new, Rugar P89 or P95 (wanna see what feels the "best" in my hands) for $312.95 (signed,sealed, and delivered). They seemed to get great reviews, and the price is right on the money. Should be pretty decent for a range/carry gun.

I guess the 1911 will have to wait till I can afford what I really want... a all "tricked out" Wilson

1 - 8 of 8 Posts