1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at picking one of these up looking to see what people think about them that actually own one not well I read on the internet or my cousins uncle brothers next door neighbors dog told me. Also comparisons on barrel lengths would be nice to know.:scratch::scratch::scratch:

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
Lots of fun thats for sure. I reloaded for mine and made it up to 360 grain hard cast bullets before i said thats enought for me lol. Had the 8 3/8 inch barrel S-W XVR. Never shot the 454 or 45 long colt out of it so can't say for those. Super nice to shoot with bullets in the 300 grain range. More of a big push than a hard kick like a 44 mag.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Single action???

I have a single action freedom arms 475, the single action was the way to go for me after research, the action is stronger for the heavy recoil of the big bore revolvers. I have 2 - 44 mags SW's and I always cock them back to single action. I have handled the X- frame and for me I think SW went overboard with the size of this revolver it steps way outside the mountain guns original purpose. These are some of the things I considered when I wanted a really big bore. Both of my SW 44's are performance center guns nice, but no where near Freedom Arms standards. I hope I didn't get to far off topic but I love my FA

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I decided on the S&W 460V a few years ago. It is without a doubt the most versatile revolver I own. I sold all my 44's within a year of buying the 460.
It is a hand loaders dream..anywhere from lite 45 Colt all the way up to heavy cast rounds that mimic my 45/70 in power.
Holster preference is the Diamond Guides Choice, makes carrying very comfortable.
Back to loads. Due to the progressive rifling, recommended lighter bullets at a very high velocity is where this revolver is marketed. I'm here to tell you, it loves heavy bullets as well. Ya, I really like it.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have a 460 V as well.
Fairly sure you ain't shooting 44 special in your 460 Fred.
I have shot 45 colt in mine and the 45 schofield would work if you had any as well as 454 casul.
I just load a cast gas check 360 gr bullet and a moderate load.
Then I also load a xtp mag bullet with absurd amounts of h110.
The X frame is so big that 45 colt feels like 32 sw long out of a smaller revolver.
My 460 came with two rear site blades for switching out shooting lighter loads.
It also came with two different comps. One for shooting stout jacketed bullets and one that doesn't have the top holes so cast bullets don't lead up the front site.
So you should buy one. :)

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I have a single action freedom arms 475, the single action was the way to go for me after research, the action is stronger for the heavy recoil of the big bore revolvers. I have 2 - 44 mags SW's and I always cock them back to single action. I have handled the X- frame and for me I think SW went overboard with the size of this revolver it steps way outside the mountain guns original purpose. These are some of the things I considered when I wanted a really big bore. Both of my SW 44's are performance center guns nice, but no where near Freedom Arms standards. I hope I didn't get to far off topic but I love my FA

Don't know what your research was, but I seriously doubt that the FAs action is any stronger than that of the X-Frame. The X-Frame also was never intended to replace the Mountain Gun or it's original purpose. It's intention and purpose is to be an accurate and effective deer hunting handgun out past 100 yards. The short barreled versions intended for SD came out afterwards as folks created the demand for them. As for SA vs DA, most of us have a preference to the grip angles associated with both. I don't own any SAs anymore......not because they are not good guns, but because I prefer the grip angle and actions of DAs. But them I prefer bolts over semis in a rifle and SxSs over pumps/autos in shotguns.

That said, the OP asked for responses from folks with actual experience and not opinions from folks that have never shot one or shot one once. IMHO, there is no other revolver out there that has the accuracy of a long-piped X-Frame or is as pleasant to shoot with legitimate .460 loads. This comes not only from my experience of shooting thousands of rounds thru mine, but by allowing others to shoot mine. It has always amazed me how accurate first time shooters are with this firearm. I generally shoot my hunting revolvers @ 70 yards and the reactive target I use is a bowling pin. Even first timers have no problem hitting the bowling pin when using a rest. I have watched experienced handgun shooters taken to school with their Ruger and FA .454s by first time shooters with my X-Frame. There relly is no comparison when it comes to accuracy.

That said, the .460 is a handloaders cartridge. They are very expensive to feed, even with hadloaded ammo. If one cannot afford to feed them, they should stick with a .44 mag. But,at the range they are just as comfortable to shoot as a long-piped .44 and much more pleasant than a FA or Ruger .454. Basically because of the weight and fit of the handgun. While many wine about the heft of the .460, any time you shoot a handgun at a living target past 50 yards, you need to use some kind of rest. Once you use a rest, weight is a moot point compared to accuracy. As for barrel lenght, it depends on the usage. If it's only for protection from Dangerous game, then a short barreled revolver is all you need, but if it's going to be a primary hunting weapon for deer sized game and larger, I suggest a 8'' or longer. I have the 10.5'' PC model with the built in comp and have never regretted getting it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've had my s&w .460 with the 8 3/8 barrel since this spring and I absolutely love it. As everyone else has stated, it's a dream to shoot and extremely accurate. The recoil is very manageable. The noise and concussion would be the only negative I could point out about it.....not so much for the shooter, but others in proximity when u shoot the gun. It is a powerful absolute blast to shoot

·
Registered
175 Posts
SA vs DA

Don't know what your research was, but I seriously doubt that the FAs action is any stronger than that of the X-Frame. The X-Frame also was never intended to replace the Mountain Gun or it's original purpose. It's intention and purpose is to be an accurate and effective deer hunting handgun out past 100 yards. The short barreled versions intended for SD came out afterwards as folks created the demand for them. As for SA vs DA, most of us have a preference to the grip angles associated with both. I don't own any SAs anymore......not because they are not good guns, but because I prefer the grip angle and actions of DAs. But them I prefer bolts over semis in a rifle and SxSs over pumps/autos in shotguns.

That said, the OP asked for responses from folks with actual experience and not opinions from folks that have never shot one or shot one once. IMHO, there is no other revolver out there that has the accuracy of a long-piped X-Frame or is as pleasant to shoot with legitimate .460 loads. This comes not only from my experience of shooting thousands of rounds thru mine, but by allowing others to shoot mine. It has always amazed me how accurate first time shooters are with this firearm. I generally shoot my hunting revolvers @ 70 yards and the reactive target I use is a bowling pin. Even first timers have no problem hitting the bowling pin when using a rest. I have watched experienced handgun shooters taken to school with their Ruger and FA .454s by first time shooters with my X-Frame. There relly is no comparison when it comes to accuracy.

That said, the .460 is a handloaders cartridge. They are very expensive to feed, even with hadloaded ammo. If one cannot afford to feed them, they should stick with a .44 mag. But,at the range they are just as comfortable to shoot as a long-piped .44 and much more pleasant than a FA or Ruger .454. Basically because of the weight and fit of the handgun. While many wine about the heft of the .460, any time you shoot a handgun at a living target past 50 yards, you need to use some kind of rest. Once you use a rest, weight is a moot point compared to accuracy. As for barrel lenght, it depends on the usage. If it's only for protection from Dangerous game, then a short barreled revolver is all you need, but if it's going to be a primary hunting weapon for deer sized game and larger, I suggest a 8'' or longer. I have the 10.5'' PC model with the built in comp and have never regretted getting it.
After speaking with multiple gunsmiths that work exclusively on revolvers I was convinced of there opinion that there are more fragile parts in the lock mechanism than there is in a single action. That is why so many of them build there hard hitting big bores on single actions. I was just presenting a option that shouldn't be overlooked when laying out that kind of money. I wasn't looking to ruffle any feathers.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
After speaking with multiple gunsmiths that work exclusively on revolvers I was convinced of there opinion that there are more fragile parts in the lock mechanism than there is in a single action. That is why so many of them build there hard hitting big bores on single actions. I was just presenting a option that shouldn't be overlooked when laying out that kind of money. I wasn't looking to ruffle any feathers.
I don't think you ruffled any feathers at all.
For me, the reason for my Smith and Wesson 460V purchase was defense and hunting.
I certinally think as a whole, single action revolvers (Ruger, Freedom Arms) are stronger than their DA counterparts. Then S&W introduced the XFrame.
I'm still waiting for Marlin or Winchester to introduce a 460 lever gun. Until that happens, I'll just covet the Big Horn Armory 90.

·
Registered
9,038 Posts
Until that happens, I'll just covet the Big Horn Armory 90.
I'll just go ahead and apologize for the thread drift up front-

I'm a big fan of the revolver/lever gun combo. Not $3000 worth though! It really makes sense though to have a rifle built for a cartridge that generates pressures previously only see in rifle cartridges...

I'm not going to pass up the chance to shoot a .460 someday, once maybe, but dang there's a lot of energy there!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Have it in 8-3/8" and it is the coolest revolver I own. Accurate as a rifle and just feels like the balance is perfect. You won't regret it.

·
Banned
11,450 Posts
Like a couple others here, I have the 460V with the 5" barrel that I picked up about 4 years back.

I don't shoot .45LC or .454 out of mine, but have loaded .460 cases with 255g lead bullets @900fps that my 73 year old mother can handle, 360g hardcasts that I've taken a black bear with, and a few variations in between. Very versatile for the handloader, and an honest, accurate 100m deer gun from a supported position- with enough energy on target for a solid hear/lungs kill shot.

As mentioned, still waiting on a lever gun to go with it...

·
Registered
682 Posts
I purchased a .460 XVR Performance Center model with the 14" barrel back in March for no other reason than I have always wanted one. These are great guns and the trigger on mine is nothing short of exceptional in DA and simply beautiful in SA. The weight and long barrel make it a bit impractical for a schlep in the woods or as a first choice for a hunting handgun, but given the right opportunity I will take it out from time to time. Recoil is manageable with full power loads and the gun is a very soft shooter with .45 Colt or reduced loads. Here are a few pics and a Link to a video of me shooting it if you are interested in seeing the difference in recoil from a few different loads.

"Overkill is underrated, Moderation is for Monks."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cs9jCguMlUg

·
Registered
541 Posts
I hunt with my 460..8 inch barrel.. 240 gr jhp with h110..love the platform

·
Super Moderator
7,697 Posts
I put a few cylinders through one. I was not impressed with the recoil. Despite the awkward heaviness of the Smith I still preferred my Freedom Arms 83. Accuracy wise I was impressed.

·
Registered
541 Posts
the comp tames it to just a little stronger than a 44, for me the only thing that I had to overcome was the muzzleblast..Its an afterthought now, but you better wear a good set of muffs

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
To me the .460's and the .500's are overkill for anything short of the big bears. Most I see actual being fired are novelty guns for their owners.

I've killed a mess of deer with handguns and a .41 mag or .44 mag will generally shoot right through on a broadside. What MORE do you want? Killed my first three with a .44 Special and Keith slugs at all of 900 fps.

Also taken two mature elk with downloaded .454 Casull loads in an FA M-83.325 gr cast slugs at 1150 fps. Never recovered a slug from those two on broadsides either. Again...How much more power do you need?

I know a few Montana hunters who use the big X-frames on big game. Dedicated hunters who are serious about their hobby. They are competent shooters and if an elk presents itself at 150 yds they have the skill and the equipment to take it. Fine.

But I also have to say...The vast majority of folks with BIG Boy pistols like the X-frames, Desert Eagles, Auto Mags .45-70 pistols, etc. I see them at the Range... Letting their friends shoot their pistols hoping they are impressed by the noise and recoil.

·
Premium Member
942 Posts
Our next firearms purchase will be a 460 S&W snubby.
Backup protection for bears or whatever in addition to long guns.
44Mag is old technology. ;)
We load everything but 22LR and 22Mag.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I actually no longer like taking my 460V out when there are other shooters, especially new shooters. There is always someone who wants to fire it with full power loads, never a good idea. It is a good tool for showing the benefits of reloading though.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts