1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This revolver has peaked my interest, but they do not appear to come cheap. Anyone have experience/opinions on this model....or photos? I don't have a specific use in mind, just think it is a sharp looking revolver and might consider adding one to the collection.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
I've had this one for several years. It's quite a handful, and the muzzle flash is spectacular, especially at dusk. I put a set of Hogue's on it and the muzzle flip isn't too bad. I've carried it during hikes, but I really prefer something a bit longer.

There was a run distributed by Lew Horton, but this one isn't among them. S&W distributed the excess via regular jobbers and dealers.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dennis, that is a nice looking revolver. I've seen some that mention Lew Horton....is there any significance other than coming from a certain distributor? Is there a way to tell if one is a "Lew Horton model"?

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Dennis, that is a nice looking revolver. I've seen some that mention Lew Horton....is there any significance other than coming from a certain distributor? Is there a way to tell if one is a "Lew Horton model"?
The "Lew Horton" cachet adds a bit of value to the revolvers, since the distributor could order enough guns to get them "built their way". Their orders provide a "one off" from the regular S&W offerings. I don't think S&W would have come up with the different options that Lew Horton did.

Lew Horton is close enough to their dealers that they can find out if a certain model might sell in sufficient volume. S&W, by and large, is probably not so close to dealers on a daily basis.

I own a "Lew Horton" S&W Model 24-3, round butt, 3" barrel. It's also a favorite of mine. Lew Horton will tell you if you suspect that a gun came through them. I sent them an email about the Model 24-3, and they confirmed that it was one of the group that came through them. The Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson, 3rd Edition, has a lot of information about special orders, etc., in its pages, even the serial number ranges. It's an excellent source of S&W info.

TALO, Davidson's, and Ellett Brothers among the larger distributors, and Bud's in Lexington, KY, are those who'd probably get special consideration.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
USMM, those are some stout looking revolvers! These seem to be a good example of where Pachmayr grips would shine.

Dennis, thanks for your insight about Lew Horton. The Model 24 with the 3" barrel is a great looking piece too....I've seen a few on GB and they aren't much cheaper than the short barrel 629-1's. I assume the 44 Special round is a sweet shooter in the model 24, and would be a very capable self defense round.

·
Registered
5,584 Posts
I own a "Lew Horton" S&W Model 24-3, round butt, 3" barrel. It's also a favorite of mine. Lew Horton will tell you if you suspect that a gun came through them. I sent them an email about the Model 24-3, and they confirmed that it was one of the group that came through them. The Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson, 3rd Edition, has a lot of information about special orders, etc., in its pages, even the serial number ranges. It's an excellent source of S&W info.

I own a Lew Horton S&W Model 624 that came with a "S&W" pancake holster. I purchased mine long about 1980 or so....can't remember for sure. It is a fun shooter, and because I am a handloader, I can load mild to wild, and this revolver will handle them.

·
Premium Member
3,319 Posts
This trail boss is 2 7/8th I believe or some such thing. New VZ grips. Me Likey.

·
Premium Member
4,636 Posts
A short barrel .44 mag ... I'll bet that is a handful. It looks almost identical to my Model 66-2 .357.

I've had this one for several years. It's quite a handful, and the muzzle flash is spectacular, especially at dusk. I put a set of Hogue's on it and the muzzle flip isn't too bad. I've carried it during hikes, but I really prefer something a bit longer.

There was a run distributed by Lew Horton, but this one isn't among them. S&W distributed the excess via regular jobbers and dealers.

·
Registered
63 Posts
They are actually pretty good shooters. Much easier on your hand then my 329. The gun with the factory Pachmayrs shoots really well the one with the Ahrends composite grips is kind of tough on the hand
What would you recommend as a good source for a 29? As I understand the 29's are blue and the 629's are SS, as well as a number of other differences, but I really love the blued guns.

·
Registered
23,550 Posts
I find most of mine locally.

What would you recommend as a good source for a 29? As I understand the 29's are blue and the 629's are SS, as well as a number of other differences, but I really love the blued guns.
I do not live in a highly populated part of the country. But I know a fair number of dealers reasonably close by that move quite a few guns. So I usually can find what I want if I look hard enough. Not always but usually. Case in point since we are referencing model 29s. I have a bunch of them. I also have 629s and even a 329. As for the model 29s, I even have a very high quality Spanish clone (An Astra). It is pinned and recessed, the whole deal. But one that I have been looking for, for years still eludes me. A model 29-3 or earlier four inch gun. I have been looking for one of these about forever. I have several six inch models, two of the three inch models, a nickel plated model and a four inch 629. But no blue four inch 29. One day I am sure that I will find one.

Additionally they are much more common in some areas than others. I would say that you would be much more likely to find one in say Houston Texas than say Hong Kong or Singapore. You do not say where you are located. If you are located in the United States, you have options. If you can not find them locally, There are any number of online sources. People variously report both good and bad experiences with this venue. I would suggest caution going this route. If I really felt a need to get one quickly I might likely go this way. I would certainly Join the Smith and Wesson forum and put out a "want to buy" notice. Collectors firearms in Houston Texas has a pretty good reputation. Gunbroker is pretty popular. They get mixed reviews. There are others.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Heres a 629 that i had that was made in 1988,one of three thousand (Classic Hunter) with unfluted cylinder.Didn't care for the unfluted cylinder so let it move on but it was a nice piece.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
Ok now you have done it! I need to get another S&W, now to decide 29 or 629.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I do not live in a highly populated part of the country. But I know a fair number of dealers reasonably close by that move quite a few guns. So I usually can find what I want if I look hard enough. Not always but usually. Case in point since we are referencing model 29s. I have a bunch of them. I also have 629s and even a 329. As for the model 29s, I even have a very high quality Spanish clone (An Astra). It is pinned and recessed, the whole deal. But one that I have been looking for, for years still eludes me. A model 29-3 or earlier four inch gun. I have been looking for one of these about forever. I have several six inch models, two of the three inch models, a nickel plated model and a four inch 629. But no blue four inch 29. One day I am sure that I will find one.

Additionally they are much more common in some areas than others. I would say that you would be much more likely to find one in say Houston Texas than say Hong Kong or Singapore. You do not say where you are located. If you are located in the United States, you have options. If you can not find them locally, There are any number of online sources. People variously report both good and bad experiences with this venue. I would suggest caution going this route. If I really felt a need to get one quickly I might likely go this way. I would certainly Join the Smith and Wesson forum and put out a "want to buy" notice. Collectors firearms in Houston Texas has a pretty good reputation. Gunbroker is pretty popular. They get mixed reviews. There are others.
I'm in Central TX so Houston isn't too big a trip :)
Also, I'm a fan of gun shows - any advice on what to look for (and, more importantly, what to look out for)?

ETA: Here's your gun http://www.collectorsfirearms.com/smith-wesson-29-3-44-magnum-pr29665/

·
Registered
23,550 Posts
Just the usual things.

Overall condition, good lock up, end shake, forcing cone erosion, forcing cone cracks, gas cutting, push off, timing, corrosion under the grips, buggered screws.

Also I would stay away from any model 29 that looks like it has been refinished.

Actually the one that you provided a link to at Collectors looks like a really nice gun. It is priced a little high but not much. You could do a lot worse. If I did not have some other projects going on right now I would consider jumping on it myself. Good luck

·
Registered
63 Posts
Overall condition, good lock up, end shake, forcing cone erosion, forcing cone cracks, gas cutting, push off, timing, corrosion under the grips, buggered screws.

Also I would stay away from any model 29 that looks like it has been refinished.

Actually the one that you provided a link to at Collectors looks like a really nice gun. It is priced a little high but not much. You could do a lot worse. If I did not have some other projects going on right now I would consider jumping on it myself. Good luck
I'm in the startup stage of getting this pistol - it's the last one I have on my list of 'must have'. Thanks for all the advice! I'll post pictures when I pull the trigger.....

·
Registered
159 Posts
This is my hiking gun. I have had it almost 20 years. It shoots better then you think it would. I find the beautiful wooden grips hard to shoot, so I keep the Hogue grip on.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts