1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a S&W 629 4 " and I am really happy with the gun, but don't care for the look or feel of the grips. I could deal with the synthetic look if I felt the grips offered some recoil reduction, but they are pretty tough on the hand IMO. I have been researching grips for the gun and have came across a few brands ranging from nill-griffe and ahrend's to Pachmyar's. I realize that grips are a very personal choice, but would like some input of what you like for comfort/looks before I drop cash on a custom set of grips that I haven't been able to personally feel.

It is a round butt 629 FYI

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
I recently purchased a S&W 629 4 " and I am really happy with the gun, but don't care for the look or feel of the grips. I could deal with the synthetic look if I felt the grips offered some recoil reduction, but they are pretty tough on the hand IMO. I have been researching grips for the gun and have came across a few brands ranging from nill-griffe and ahrend's to Pachmyar's. I realize that grips are a very personal choice, but would like some input of what you like for comfort/looks before I drop cash on a custom set of grips that I haven't been able to personally feel.

It is a round butt 629 FYI
I like the Pachmayr Diamond Pro on my 629-8.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
I use Ahrend's on several of my N frame revolvers. They fit my hand exactly, which is a major aspect of felt recoil. The original S&W target grips were made for gorillas.

PS - You can also get a set made by Herrett's. They'll make a set based on an actual outline sketch of your hand.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
This pair of 629-4 MG's wear Herrett's "round to square", "Shooting Master" grips that have been modified.
The backstrap is covered with these and felt recoil is very tolerable.

·
Super Moderator
14,830 Posts
For a quick, sure grip and comfortable shooting, I like the Hogue Mono-grip on all my K, L, & N frame revolvers. Pachmayr's are my second choice.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I recently sold a 629-1 that I bought @ 30 yrs ago. I put a set of Pachmyers on it when I bought it and I liked them a lot....They were comfortable and wore well throughout the years

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
If money is not an object, the S&W grips made by Keith Brown are functional art. He's a fine artisan - with a deserved reputation - and a fine gentleman as well.

http://www.kbgrips.com/

·
Registered
853 Posts
You stated that you had no problems with synthetic grips provided there is a benefit to using them. These are the best I've found...

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...58003_757843_757837_ProductDisplayErrorView_N

I use them on three of my competition revolvers (IDPA). Even though the description does not specify N-frame RB, they do, indeed, work - will fit K, L, N and X frame RB's. Here is a set on my 625-8PC (they no longer offer the yellow or orange grips)...

They cover the back strap and are terrific at absorbing recoil (they were designed for the X-frame). They fit my medium sized hands well. For under $40 you can hardly go wrong.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Pizza Bob, I may give those a try especially before dropping $100+ on a set of custom wood grips.

·
Registered
23,497 Posts
For shooting it is hard to go wrong with rubber grips.

I have Hogues on my S&W model 329 which has some serious recoil. They help quite a bit. I also have Pachmyers on my 3" model 29. They work well also.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
After stopping by the LGS today I ended up ordering the Pachmayr Diamond pro grips. I was able to compare the Pachmayr's which were made for a Ruger side by side with the S&W 500 grips and the Pachmayr's just felt better in the hand. If these don't do the trick, ill give some custom wood grips a try. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
I chose Ahrend's grips over Hogue. They are a little wider across the back to distribute the recoil, but so thick to put the trigger out of comfortable reach. Uncheckered wood grips slip just enough to reduce recoil, but the finger grooves bring it quickly back into battery. The grips are flat in front, which makes alignment faster to achieve and more steady.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have Hogue's on the 629 4 and S&W 500's (Hogue) on the 629 5. I believe the 500's give me a little more clearance on the guard and middle finger but I like them both.

RC

1 - 14 of 14 Posts