1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep putting it off and buying something else, but its high time for me to buy a j-frame so I can retaire the Colt Detective Special I inherited from my grandfather.

My primary use for this gun would be pocket and IWB carry when I need something more concealable than my 1911. Now I know that the Airweights are the obvious choice for pocket carry, but with light weight comes increased recoil.

I've been eyeing the 640 for a a few reason. Its slightly longer barrel means a full lenth ejector as I recall and its heavier weight means I can take advantage of .357mag loads like Speer's short barrel 135g GD in a controlable package. The only downside I see is its weight.

So, I've said all of that to ask this; Is the 640 too heavy to serve as a pocket gun?

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
BillD said:
I concur.
Ditto. It will be too heavy.

My S&W Military & Police Model 340 Centennial I find just on the edge of usability as a pocket revolver and it weighs a scant 13.3 oz.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I've carried a standard weight S&W 640 (weight about 20 ounces) loaded in a pocket hoster for over a decade and don't find it to be too heavy at all. typically you will forget it is there until you need it.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
I prefer the pre-lock S&W 642 in a Kramer pocket holster loaded w/Speer 135-gr. jhps. Get a real belt from Milt Sparks or Lou Alessi, too. I also find the Crimson Trace laser grips handy at 25 yds. when light is low. (You do have to zero, them, though.)

Regards,
Andy

·
Registered
108 Posts
I find the Airweights strike a nice balance with regards to weight, comfort of carry, etc. The Centennials (carried one for years) are a bit too heavy, and the Airlite Ti's and scandiums are a bit too light to practice and remain efficient with (strictly my opinion of course, YMMV!). A "blued" aluminum frame with steel cylinder loaded with hoarded Nyclads combined with Eagle Secret Service stocks is the epitome of pocket carry (again, solely for my purposes!). I would love to give the CTC stocks a try, but I am fiscally challenged at the moment. Good luck with your choice.
Mike

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info guys. It looks like I'm going to be trying to find a 442 after Christmas. Preferably a pre-lock, but if not the lock can be "fixed" with a file.;)

·
Registered
232 Posts
A little late to the party...

But I carried a 940 with compact grips in a pocket holster for a long time. This was my "summer" gun, when I often wear cargo shorts. I foolishly sold it, but recently replaced it with an early production 640. I never experienced any discomfort with it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have a model 60 (all stainless) and it can make pants/jackets a bit droopy on one side. If I take it, its in a belt holster. I'd look at an airweight for something like a pocket gun.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts