1911Forum banner

S & W 745

1361 Views 7 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  halfmoonclip
As I see non-1911 S&W autos being discussed here, guess it is okay to bring up my 745. Got it out the door at a local gunshop for $375 in 98% shape. Did I do okay on the price?
The gun had two steel floorplate/orange follower 8rd mags, and I tracked down two more with plastic floorplates and orange followers. Any opinions on the magazines for this gun? Feeding thus far has been 100%.
The trigger is four pounds (I took a pound off), and the Novak sights are great; I am very pleased thus far.
I had a star crossed 645 years ago; it shot straight, but I blew it up once, and it was stolen twice after I traded it. Always liked the gun, but that particular one had bad mojo.
Thanks,
Moon
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
581 Posts
Hi! Great price! The 745 is an excellent gun. I had one before I got my first 945 and it was the 745's performance that got me interested in the 945 when it first came out! Good shooting, Dennis

· Registered
2,178 Posts
The 745 is a good pistol in their 'value' line. Nice form factor, reliable, and accurate.

· Registered
81 Posts
You did well on the price. I have been shooting mine in weekly bowling pin matches for several months, now and really enjoying it. They were S&W's entry into IPSC shooting back in the 80's. Slide to frame fit is loosey goosey but it shoots quite well. The current mags (with the black plastic base) will work fine if you (per S&W) modify the slide stop to reach into the follower farther for last shot lock-open reliability. Wolff stocks all the springs (these guns were made from '87-'89, so you might consider replacing them). I run my loads slightly below the standard 850 fps for a 230 gr. bullet and use a 16lb recoil spring (factory standard per Wolff is 14 lbs.) Lately I'm being pressured to try some IPSC shooting by some of the Pin guys and maybe I'll give the old 745 a try. Have fun!
Josh

· Registered
2,178 Posts
My lysdexia is showing. Sorry, please ignore the previous brain fart. You're right, the 745 is a real beaut.

· Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tac Four said:
My lysdexia is showing. Sorry, please ignore the previous brain fart. You're right, the 745 is a real beaut.
Not a problem, Tac. Lysdexia is a way of life around this house. If I ask my wife or daughter to make a left turn, I have a 50/50 chance of getting what I want. Not that I ever screw up....
Moon

· Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
J.B. said:
You did well on the price. I have been shooting mine in weekly bowling pin matches for several months, now and really enjoying it. They were S&W's entry into IPSC shooting back in the 80's. Slide to frame fit is loosey goosey but it shoots quite well. The current mags (with the black plastic base) will work fine if you (per S&W) modify the slide stop to reach into the follower farther for last shot lock-open reliability. Wolff stocks all the springs (these guns were made from '87-'89, so you might consider replacing them). I run my loads slightly below the standard 850 fps for a 230 gr. bullet and use a 16lb recoil spring (factory standard per Wolff is 14 lbs.) Lately I'm being pressured to try some IPSC shooting by some of the Pin guys and maybe I'll give the old 745 a try. Have fun!
Josh
Josh-
Thanks for the comeback. Mine rattles like a GI 1911 as well.
I picked up two black floorplate/orange follower mags, used, from Joe Lowe (www.jloweclipsandmagazines.com) for $25 @; very clean. They seem to engage the slide stop finger just fine, 'tho I haven't test hopped 'em just yet.
Engagement seems the same as the orange follower/steel floorplate mags that came with the gun.
Offhand, mine will get a really great, all one hole group going, and then toss one off somewhere. Don't know if it is the gun, or me indulging in a little trigger mashing. Guess I have to try it off the bags.
Love the sights; where does yours shoot- POI?
Moon

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.