1911Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
I know of three 945-1 with fixed rear sight. The PC has said that at least 6 were made with with fixed sight and a light rail for a small LE dept. The examples that I have seen are Product Code #170174 and serial # PCZxxxx.

Tom

Attachments

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
When I moved to AZ in 1998 we had a local guy out here who would buy up half of gun list ad's one day caught a ad he had for new in box 945 perf. center in alum. case I bought it from him the next day. years go by. I decide to sell some 45's {yeah I had a lot}and that one was one of them.

Still miss it today. And wish I would have sold some others instead of it.
RON K.

·
Registered
23,173 Posts
I think with the dash 1s S&W incorporated the mechanical firing pin safety based off the grip safety. This and the difference in the dash 2s I found on one of the S&W forums. For the mechanical firing pin safety it is easy to tell. Pull back the slide, turn it over and look for the plunger. Below the pistol on the far right is a 2004 S&W 1911 which I understand used the same system. It is not similar to a Kimber Swartz derived system which is next to it or the Colt Series 80 which is next to that. On the far left is a Colt pre Series 80 with no mechanical firing pin safety.

And the top of the frames in the same order.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I know of three 945-1 with fixed rear sight. The PC has said that at least 6 were made with with fixed sight and a light rail for a small LE dept. The examples that I have seen are Product Code #170174 and serial # PCZxxxx.

Tom
I know, it's an old thread and I am not trying resurrect it, but for historical info I felt compelled.

When I worked for S&W as a regional LE guy, I had 5 fixed sight 945s built for LAPD Metro as T&E guns. They were all black and had light rails riveted to the dust cover. After T&E I picked the guns up and sent all but one of them back to the factory. I bought the one I kept. I know where one, maybe two of those other guns are. They are rare. The only reason LAPD Metro didn't choose this gun is due to holster availability. There weren't any and all would have to have been custom made. I still have mine and they are going to throw it into my grave with me.

·
Registered
6,386 Posts
Were they dropped because of the magazines? Some say they were difficult to come by.

Since I carried a 4566 I was able to obtain 10 without any trouble. (But no 945!)

I opted for an original S&W 1911 PC, 3 digit serial number and Wilson rear sight. Shoots like a drill motor!

It may have been built by one of the big name smiths reputed to work for S&W at the time, recognizable today!

Smiles,

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
I am relying on memory, but I recall a former SW employee who said he was present at the testing. He said no one was picking up the Smiths to shoot. He asked why not try out the Smith. They told him the safety was backwards on the Smith. HA!

I owned a 945 back then. Nice gun, very accurate. Zero accessories.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Anybody know of a source of magazines for the Model 945? I'm not very hopeful...

·
Registered
6,386 Posts
Aren't they the same as the 4506,4566 family? The mag catch is cut a little higher on the 945 which is easily cut by the user or machinist.

Smiles,

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
You need to join the SW Forum.... build up some posts and then run an ad in the WTB for mags.

or frequent the accessories SW Forum Classified a couple times a day... you can get lucky.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.