1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have an opinion on the S&W model 945?
Living in Massachusetts limits my choice of new weapons to buy. Not that this gun would be my first choice, just looking for an opinion. Thanks...........

·
Registered
72 Posts
Notwithstanding anyone's opinion about S&W, the 945 is a very fine pistol. I have the Commander length version and it is as accurate as any of my other 1911s (which include 2 Les Baers). Of course, it is not a 'real' 1911 although for all intents and purposes, it functions the same. It uses different mags which is a pain if you already have a bunch of Wilsons....

I don't like the Novak sights on mine and plan on changing these and the narrow thumb safety. The gun is utterly reliable. I took it through most of Greg Hamilton's Intensive Handgun Skill class pretty much right out the box - no problems at all.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Super gun. For $900, it was worth the money. I bought it used. Still feels like a clunky 745 to a certain degree, but that is trademark S&W auto design. It is a stronger performer than Les Baers or Wilsons and such. It is about $200-500 less than those guns, too. Not a true, slim, 1911 design, but damned close enough.

·
Registered
318 Posts
By the way, move from MAss into NH or VT. Gun laws there are superb. Been buying guns with no sales tax (up till now), and they really have no restrictions on how many per month or such. As much as you can afford, you can buy. Carry laws are great, too! Leave Mass!!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the input guys. I seen this weapon adverised for $1200. Me thinks a bit to high. There is a local gun show comming up and I'll see if I can pick and older Colt that is pre Oct 1998 as these are the only weapons I can buy other than Sig, S&W, and a few others. The move out of the Republic of Mass. sounds like a possibility. To be free of these foolish laws would be a relief.
Thanks again for the input, Turk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Don't support someone elses mistake. In other words, if the new pres over there can't change this b.s. that Schultz got them into, hang on Dorothy,cuz Kansas is going bye-bye. Turk, Do you post on any HK forums? HKPRO perhaps?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No I don't post on other forums, just this one. There's a great amount of info here. I would like to have a 1911 built but most of the FFL's in this state don't want to handle all the B.S. that comes with shipping a gun out of state. S&W was just a thought and I really don't care for the look of the gun anyway. To blocky looking and slide markings are the pits. Like I said a gunshow is comming at the end of the month and I'll probably try to pick up an older Colt. I'll have one built one way or another..... Turk

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
My (preagreement) full size 945 shoots great. I think it was a good value. Paid $1175 for mine. Mags at $40 a pop from S&W are way too high. Bomar sight is great. Front site is too wide though. Grip angle slightly lower than 1911 (more squared by about 2 degrees). A bit thicker through the grip. Sometimes feels like I can't get my grip high enough compared to a good 1911. Fishscale serrations are quite functional. Mine has the black finish, which has held up quite well. Stainless nowhere near as pretty, IMO. I get a lot of comments on this gun at the range, if that's important to you (it isn't to me).

Holsters can be a hassle but are available. Doesn't fit into 1911 holster as the rails on the slide are wider.

Very smooth, good trigger, goes exactly where you point it, and highly reliable. No reliability probs with mine EVER with about 2500 rounds through the gun. Not one.

My vote is don't buy S&W unless the agreement is rescinded. The gun is a good value but if you don't like it don't get it. Keep the pressure on S&W. A used one would be a good buy though.

[This message has been edited by JiminCA (edited 02-13-2001).]

·
Registered
451 Posts
I had the compact version with the 3.75" barrel. I would repeat Jim's post verbatim as my response too. However, I would change 1 thing: I believe that they are overpriced at their price of $1,200-$1,300. It is a very good handgun, just not worth that price, IMHO.

Regards,
Frank

·
Banned
1,082 Posts
I say buy it before you join the NRA. Then join the NRA and enjoy your 945. As a current member of the NRA I can't even begin to say what the S&W organization has done to our freedom. Well I will begin anyway. They have signed two agreements with our ex-presidential administration. Some of the specifics have already begun to become reality in the state of Maryland. Where manufacturers are required to have a casing with every gun sold as a pistols identification in that state. Things like this are making it harder for manufacturers to sell their guns. And more expensive and impractical for us. So buy it if you must and remember it either is a 1911 or it is'nt. The 945 is'nt.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts