1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon Gents!

I have been looking at the S&W AirLite Sc series for a daily concealment gun. I want a Centennial model so I've been looking at the newer 340PD model.

I just went to my local gun store and the owner had a 337PD, and older AirLite Sc model without the internal locks with an external hammer chambered only for 38 or +Ps. I don't think I'll ever carry or fire 357mags out of this gun so I would prefer it in 38 only and without internal locks, which all the 340PDs have.

So my question is, did S&W ever make a AirLite Sc model in 38 in Centennial(no external hammer) pre-internal locks? I asked the guys in the shop and they did not know.

Thank you in advance for any insight!

Yo Han

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Called S&W...

...and they never did produce one as I desire. The 337 that I saw had a titanium cylinder with a regular aluminum frame(AirWeight), whereas the new Airlite Sc series has Scanduim(SP?) mixed in to make the frame much stronger to holdup to the 357 rounds, hence they only offering it up to 357. So maybe I'll look at the 642 or just stick with a 340PD. Decisions, decisions:)

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I've got a 642 and love it. Just the ticket for a quick trip to the mailbox (2 block walk from my apartment), taking out the trash or when it's not practical to carry anything more substantial.
Mac

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply Mac. It really is amazing how light these wheelguns are. Shoot the 5 shots you put in are as heavy as the guns.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually, it ends up that the gent I spoke with at S&W missinformed me. My friend who is a cop in Ca has a 342PD, which is identical to the 337PD in construction and material, except is hammerless(aluminum frame with titanium cylinder). If I can find a good deal I think I might just go with the Scandium frame 340PD. It's the same length, so no big loss and a stonger more durable frame for the longrun.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
The 642 Airweight weighs in at 15oz., the Scandiums are even lighter. That's great for carry but keep in mind that lighter also means more recoil. I don't have a problem controlling my 642 with std. pressure loads or even limited +P use but some folks do find the recoil uncomfortable. I think that may be at least partially due to the small boot grips that come on these pocket revos.

I'm not saying don't by a Scandium, just something to consider ... along with the higher price of the Sc. over the Airweights. Be sure to let us know what you get!
Mac

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Howdy Mac, very valid point. The 337 the shop/range owner owns is just under 11oz(bout the same as the 340PD)... so I'm going to see if I can't borrow his and throw a couple rounds down the range... she how she really kicks;)

I'll post pictures as soon as I buy one. It will be early next year, since I bought up my limit for '05...lol! This is a self imposed limit... I'm single:)

Yo Han

·
Banned
1,355 Posts

I'm with Maclean. I looked at both and wanted the scandium for the ability to digest .357 and the 38+P (plus it looks cool.) Shot one, got the 642 instead. I had a hard time (i.e.: pain!) with more than a hand full of magnum rounds down range, controlability, plus the extra cost didn't help either. 4 oz. isn't too much more for my pocket and while the +p rounds are snappy, they aren't too bad. Steel gun in .357 is the way to go if you want that.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Amen Stormin, if I get another J-frame it'll be a .357 but either the 60 or the 640 (unless I find a Colt DS first). The wonder weights may handle a limited diet of magnums but I'd much rather use a steel gun for the recoil and added durability. I'll deal with whatever added weight that comes with that decision. Heck, I'm planning on carrying my 2 1/2" 66 when the cold weather hits. :p

As to the original question of internal locks: My 642 has one but I don't even notice it. The trigger pull is butter smooth so it apparently has no effect and I've never taken the key out of the box anyway.
Mac

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Mac, good to know on the trigger with internal lock. That funny, because a 640 is on my growing list of handguns to get. Thanks for the responses gents!

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Yo Han said:
...and they never did produce one as I desire. The 337 that I saw had a titanium cylinder with a regular aluminum frame(AirWeight), whereas the new Airlite Sc series has Scanduim(SP?) mixed in to make the frame much stronger to holdup to the 357 rounds, hence they only offering it up to 357. So maybe I'll look at the 642 or just stick with a 340PD. Decisions, decisions:)
Yo Han,

Personally I'd get the Airlite SC just for it's versatility sake even though you most likely won't ever fire magnums. I have a 642 and I can say it fits my needs nicely. Go one step further and consider the 442 model. Smith and Wesson are great guns to have around always. Have you ever thought of a Taurus revolvers? Just purchased an "Ultra Liteweight" model 85 in blue and I can say it's just a tad heavier and larger than my 642 Smith. On my belt or jacket pocket they all feel the same.

rimfire,22

1 - 11 of 11 Posts