1911Forum banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
While I don't have a use for a double stack micro 9mm (they're too big/heavy for pocket carry), they really lost me at the Glock-style trigger with a 1911-style thumb safety. The Glock dingus just screws up the trigger pull. The MrGunsNGear video review showed a false, but noticeable, trigger reset that will probably get somebody killed in a stressful situation where they're trying to shoot fast.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I don't know - it almost feels like they're trying to stuff a metal-framed pistol into a polymer compact market. If I'm shopping that market (and I have more than a few examples of it), I'm not looking for a metal frame - I'm looking for light, thin, and with a compact grip.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
borderboss1 You can probably expect any trigger group shortcomings will be upgraded by Apex Tactical and as far as trigger dingus goes not l=]many whine about apex upgrtaded digus trigegrs or for the glock guys a Zev trigger upgrade . Seems more like some whinny types

7kings . The pistol is a 19.5ox 1.12 wide pistol . Guys have carried snubbys for decades in a pocket that are wider or other of todays micros that have little to brag on using your whine as a base !! So your a what a single stack guy like kahr cm9 kind of guy for a 9mm or is it a 380 for your pocket .
I don't want any micro pistol BUT this pistol and even my 5-2 66 year old wife has not interest in current micro mini pistols But this pistol if reliable early on will sell well to small frame folks man & women .

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
borderboss1 You can probably expect any trigger group shortcomings will be upgraded by Apex Tactical and as far as trigger dingus goes not l=]many whine about apex upgrtaded digus trigegrs or for the glock guys a Zev trigger upgrade . Seems more like some whinny types

7kings . The pistol is a 19.5ox 1.12 wide pistol . Guys have carried snubbys for decades in a pocket that are wider or other of todays micros that have little to brag on using your whine as a base !! So your a what a single stack guy like kahr cm9 kind of guy for a 9mm or is it a 380 for your pocket .
I don't want any micro pistol BUT this pistol and even my 5-2 66 year old wife has not interest in current micro mini pistols But this pistol if reliable early on will sell well to small frame folks man & women .
I do like Apex triggers and have one on my S&W Sigma. It's just a shame that S&W would put out something with a useless "feature" that requires even more spending to correct.

As to pocket guns, I carried a Kahr PM9 in a front pocket for a long time. I just don't think that adding another 6 rounds to the weight of that pocket would be attractive. At least it isn't to me. Plus, I like to have a thumb strap holster for my cocked-and-locked 1911s, and I don't think I would want one for a pocket holster as it seems like a lot to deal with to get the gun out quickly.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
To buy a $500+ plastic gun, then spend another $100 to replace the trigger? Meh! After it's all said and done it's still nothing more than a $300 plastic gun when it comes time to jump on the next, latest and greatest, plastic gun - which, itself, will likely require another $100 trigger! Don't get me wrong, I'm glad there's a market for this sort of thing, but I'm also glad that I have no inclination to participate. ;) ;)

As for this CSX, on the plus side it's not plastic, but that's about it for me. I'll leave more of them available for the rest to enjoy!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
To buy a $500+ plastic gun, then spend another $100 to replace the trigger? Meh! After it's all said and done it's still nothing more than a $300 plastic gun when it comes time to jump on the next, latest and greatest, plastic gun - which, itself, will likely require another $100 trigger! Don't get me wrong, I'm glad there's a market for this sort of thing, but I'm also glad that I have no inclination to participate. ;) ;)

As for this CSX, on the plus side it's not plastic, but that's about it for me. I'll leave more of them available for the rest to enjoy!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
This is probably my biggest complaint about modern pistols. I don't quite understand why they all seem to have substandard triggers out of the box. I'd kill for a manufacturer to just put a good trigger in there and charge a tick more for it. It's probably the largest thing that keeps me away from more modern designs. I don't necessarily expect all of them to be like a 1911, but Apex seems to find a way to slick them up pretty good. Not sure if I'm just spoiled, or if there's a method to the madness that I haven't managed to wrap my head around.

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
This is probably my biggest complaint about modern pistols. I don't quite understand why they all seem to have substandard triggers out of the box. I'd kill for a manufacturer to just put a good trigger in there..
Cannot be done with modern safety plunger systems on striker fired handguns, despite Internet claims.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
I do like Apex triggers and have one on my S&W Sigma. It's just a shame that S&W would put out something with a useless "feature" that requires even more spending to correct.

As to pocket guns, I carried a Kahr PM9 in a front pocket for a long time. I just don't think that adding another 6 rounds to the weight of that pocket would be attractive. At least it isn't to me. Plus, I like to have a thumb strap holster for my cocked-and-locked 1911s, and I don't think I would want one for a pocket holster as it seems like a lot to deal with to get the gun out quickly.
Why so much whine over this CSX. Move the heck on . Not like your opinion or mine mater . Same for your holster thumb strap . I think a pocket carry in general has short comings that can't be over looked or fixed to worry about it but many people have pocket carried sig , colt , kimber and finally springfield with there micro sized want a be 1911 pocket guns with thumb safetys so people will by them !! . Deal with it .

Some of those plastic guns have a track record that they will fire hundreds of thousands of rounds with little to know failures with only general upkeep even though I don't want one particular brand !! . Hum . I like a 1911 for carry but have enough common sense to know having some polymer frame pistol is not a bad thing for durability for combat needs and defensive needs so those poly pistols holds a solid place in todays world more so than a 1911 for most today even at the top level training centers ! Beside Some 1911 stock triggers suck and accuracy is only ok AND you may need to swap trigger to adjust the reach for smaller hands and or grips from thick to thin or texture even . and that could be 50 to 100 dollar+ to help fit it to different size hands like my wife 1911's . Thats only a polymer insert swap away on many poly pistols today or on the new csx or my m&p's . BUt we still need to see how production models feel and where they go in the future for size . Maybe a modern compact or full size even a few years down the road .

Its not un common to find 1911's production pistols today with sloppy trigger fit in a frame and pull weights in the 5lb range are more common than any of us would like but that's what happens when you have parts assemblers producing most 1911's being sold not parts fitters building well tuned factory production 1911's like in some of the years gone by .

Heck I wish I could by a 4x4 4 or 5 speed pick up truck with I can tune and maintain and drive for 200,000 miles plus but those days are gone too .

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Why so much whine over this CSX. Move the heck on . Not like your opinion or mine mater . Same for your holster thumb strap . I think a pocket carry in general has short comings that can't be over looked or fixed to worry about it but many people have pocket carried sig , colt , kimber and finally springfield with there micro sized want a be 1911 pocket guns with thumb safetys so people will by them !! . Deal with it .
Jeez dude, you might want to take a deep breath and think a minute before posting a ridiculous response like this. Perhaps you didn't notice, but this is an opinion forum. Whether those opinions matter or not to S&W, or anyone else, doesn't matter. We post our opinions here. If you don't like it, tough.

·
Registered
29 Posts
It has potential. Since it doesn't have a grip safety, I like the safety on the trigger. As with any trigger, you can learn it. Can't be any worse than trying to reset
a S&W revolver trigger. You learn it. Thinking outside the box. Good for S&W.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Jeez dude, you might want to take a deep breath and think a minute before posting a ridiculous response like this. Perhaps you didn't notice, but this is an opinion forum. Whether those opinions matter or not to S&W, or anyone else, doesn't matter. We post our opinions here. If you don't like it, tough.
At this point 99.9% of people whining have not touched this pistol but already don't like it . I hope it goes in to a larger model as we don't pocket handguns so Jeez dude do you think I care about Your opinion . But I am posting an pinion . Ha.

·
Registered
60 Posts
At this point 99.9% of people whining have not touched this pistol but already don't like it . I hope it goes in to a larger model as we don't pocket handguns so Jeez dude do you think I care about Your opinion . But I am posting an pinion . Ha.
Haven't touched or seen one in person,it's just not something I need or want, hope S&W sells a metric buttload of them though.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
I handled one a couple of weeks ago. Right then the Shoot Point Blank store/range chain had gotten them in at multiple locations, presumably. My first thought was that I don't need to wait for and spend money on yet another holster(s!), or source up and purchase what I assume would be CSX-only magazines, at this time. But the gun felt good.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I had a chance to put 30 rounds thru a CXS today at my local range. Here are my impressions:
— This thing is surprisingly snappy, more so than P365, Hellcat, Mako 7, G43, and Shield Plus (I have all these). First mag produced about a 6” group at 7 yards. Only took one mag to learn I really have to grip this sucker and concentrate on trigger control. Hard for me to shoot fast. I was able to shrink group to 31/2-4” with concentration.
— Don’t really understand all the negative comments about the trigger. The “reset” is a nonissue. It’s SA and the trigger has a short travel to begin with. I detected no “false reset feedback”. I can’t imagine ever shortstroking this thing. Clean break (maybe I just don’t know what a good trigger feels like)
— Three dot sights are big and bright, easy to pick up.
— All controls worked as they should.
— I particularly liked the shape, texture, and girth of the grip. Felt really good in my hand. No slide or hammer bite and I wear an XL glove.
— Although it’s an “all metal” gun, it didn’t really feel that much heavier than the polymer others in class,certainly not enough to soak up recoil.
— I know it wasn’t much of a work out but I experienced no malfunctions. Two mags of 124FMJ and one mag of 124 HST.

Bottom line is I was prepared to not like this pistol but ended up liking it. At some point in the future I will probably buy one. Not because I shoot it better than the previous mentioned alternatives, but because Ilike the feel of it in my hands. I’m not using it for target shooting - it’s an easily concealable defensive handgun, quick to get into action and accurate enough at and within 21 feet. It has a hammer and I can carry condition one just like my 1911’s and Hi Powers. And, it’s relatively inexpensive.

Hey, it is what it is.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I had a chance to put 30 rounds thru a CXS today at my local range. Here are my impressions:
— This thing is surprisingly snappy, more so than P365, Hellcat, Mako 7, G43, and Shield Plus (I have all these). First mag produced about a 6” group at 7 yards. Only took one mag to learn I really have to grip this sucker and concentrate on trigger control. Hard for me to shoot fast. I was able to shrink group to 31/2-4” with concentration.
— Don’t really understand all the negative comments about the trigger. The “reset” is a nonissue. It’s SA and the trigger has a short travel to begin with. I detected no “false reset feedback”. I can’t imagine ever shortstroking this thing. Clean break (maybe I just don’t know what a good trigger feels like)
— I particularly liked the shape, texture, and girth of the grip. Felt really good in my hand. No slide or hammer bite and I wear an XL glove.
— Although it’s an “all metal” gun, it didn’t really feel that much heavier than the polymer others in class,certainly not enough to soak up recoil.
— I know it wasn’t much of a work out but I experienced no malfunctions. Two mags of 124FMJ and one mag of 124 HST.

Bottom line is I was prepared to not like this pistol but ended up liking it. At some point in the future I will probably buy one. Not because I shoot it better than the previous mentioned alternatives, but because Ilike the feel of it in my hands. I’m not using it for target shooting - it’s an easily concealable defensive handgun, quick to get into action and accurate enough at and within 21 feet. It has a hammer and I can carry condition one just like my 1911’s and Hi Powers. And, it’s relatively inexpensive.

Hey, it is what it is.
In my mind, the question is: does it play the subcompact CCW game better than the P365, Hellcat, etc...? Being heavier, taller, wider, and more expensive than the other competitors, it just begs the question of whether the main draw (the single-action trigger) is better than the striker triggers in the class.

In that respect, I think it is really going to come down to personal preference, since the dimensional and price differences aren't significant enough on their own to draw any sort of definitive differentiation. In either case, I think it's good that we have another choice in the market, and this time not a near-clone of the other offerings.

Hell, who knows? I may have one in my holster before too long if it turns out to be a winner.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts

Hey, it is what it is.
This is interesting. I'm a bit surprised to hear that it's snappier than the Shield Plus. Most of the reviews I've seen gave the edge to the CSX over the Shield Plus. Honestly I expected them to be relatively similar given the pistol's profile and weight (only 2 oz more than a Shield Plus). Makes one wonder where the extra snappy-ness comes from. Slightly higher bore axis perhaps?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Don’t know, but suspect snappiness and felt recoil are in the eye of the beholder. For a long time I have felt the Shields and Shield plus have all less felt recoil and snappiness than the others in its class. That goes for the 40 S& W and 45 ACP caliber as well as 9mm. Also, I have felt for a long time that the Kimber SC’s (Mako 7, EVO, Solo,) have more than others of similar size. Now the CSX gets the prize. I can’t explain it. Must be a personal experience thing.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
markmontana Is 6" at 7 yards about normal for you with a small pistol ? I'm not a small gun guy but seem not good enough to rely on as yardage increases to say 20 yards . Our kimber ultra although not in the same weight class as far better shooter in my wife's or my hands , same goes for her p365xl that's biggest difference is length and thats only 1/2". I don't think the trigger bein g a SA is an issue ,, well at least for some of use but so far reported pull weights not very good . If thats the case hurry up APEX ! ha . On to better choices for me .

Anyhow HandgunHero has the CSX on there site
Smith & Wesson CSX vs Sig Sauer P365 XL size comparison | Handgun Hero

21 - 40 of 49 Posts